Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope to live in France... such a beautiful country, great culture, great food and men with sexy accents

ReputationRep:
    Of course not - half my family is French! They rockk

ReputationRep:
    I'm part french yet find this ammusing;

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

ReputationRep:
    The French are a great military nation. Don't forget their famous naval battle with the unarmed peace ship Rainbow Warrior.

ReputationRep:
    The very reason why I have studied French at university is so that I can express my contempt for the French fluently and convincingly in their own language.

"Je ne vous aime pas. Vous n'êtes que des singes qui mangent du fromage et capitulent devant quiconque traverse vos frontières."

I am kidding, of course. The French are sound.

ReputationRep:
    There's so little hate in this thread this is disconcerting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm half french, so no, I do not dislike 'them'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    No, not at all, in fact in many ways I envy them for their nuclear proficiency, economy and their disregard for mundane laws.

However, when it comes to food and fashion, we Italians rule.
    I wish to really disagree on this point. Most Italians I've met dress worse than British people, and that says a lot.

(Original post by Wick3d)
    I don't hate the French, I just hate Sarkozy.

Megawin.

(Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Be grateful you're not a French person trying to learn English. That would be a hell of a lot more difficult!
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    I'm half French myself. They're decent people in general, but there's two things I find annoying:

- Their ethnocentrism.
    - Their inability and often unwillingness to learn other languages, especially English.

But I love the country itself. It's so diverse and each region is unique in its culture and landscape.
    I think we've managed learning your language better than you've learnt ours. You also seem to all forget we're close to Spain, and we tend to do a lot better in Spanish (and Italian) than we do in English. We don't really need to learn another language, tbf. I'd hate to be monolingual, but French culture is definitely rich enough for us not to really need another language, at least not in our country. (Take Russia, it's so rare to find an English-speaking person you want to kiss them when you meet one)

(Original post by Vindobona)
    Also, it's annoying that the French always pronounce English proper nouns (brands, cities, names) in a very strange sounding French way.
    Because you think it's acceptable that you butcher the simplest french words like "lingerie" or "croissant"?

(Original post by Xurvi)
    There's so little hate in this thread this is disconcerting.
    I was just thinking that! Not that I'm gonna complain, it's nice not to be subject to silly stereotypes, sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Just about the only patriotic British attribute I have is an entirely unjustified dislike of the French.

ReputationRep:
    I looove them.. very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Depends on the area mind, private school and those from better school districts will have a better level of English (or whatever language offered ) than those from worse ranking schools... to be honest most of the French people I know speak excellent English
    .....Just like English kids from good areas and private schools will have a better level of whatever foreign language they've learned then and to be honest, whilst I've been here I've travelled quite a lot, and found that most people who claim to "parle très bien anglais" actually don't.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all, in fact in many ways I envy them for their nuclear proficiency, economy and their disregard for mundane laws.

However, when it comes to food and fashion, we Italians rule.
    Disagree. You're ok at fashion but food....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    .....Just like English kids from good areas and private schools will have a better level of whatever foreign language they've learned then and to be honest, whilst I've been here I've travelled quite a lot, and found that most people who claim to "parle très bien anglais" actually don't.
    It's not always true about private school kids only being good at languages, but I agree they do tend to have more opportunities. It's a shame, languages should be more widely appreciate but no one wants to bother with them because they're "too hard."

ReputationRep:
    french; meh

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. You're ok at fashion but food....?
    We are pretty damn good at fashion actually. As for food, people judge Italian food on so called "Italian restaurants" that could not be further away from Italian food. French cuisine has been lucky enough to be preserved as it has been kept to expensive restaurants, Italian on the other hand has been usurped by many a terrible restaurant that has little connection to Italy.

If you want to try real Italian food go to Italy and go to a half decent restaurant.

ReputationRep:
    No.

It's hilarious when you meet someone who has the inane 'I hate the French' attitude, only to discover that once asked, they can't actually provide a reason beyond the usual absurdities such as 'Oh, they ate frogs and snails', and 'Because they're cheese-eating surrender monkeys', not to forget the ridiculously inaccurate and incredibly uncouth French accent impersonators (who so uncoincidentally love to flaunt their 'gift').

ReputationRep:
    It's not always true about private school kids only being good at languages, but I agree they do tend to have more opportunities. It's a shame, languages should be more widely appreciate but no one wants to bother with them because they're "too hard."
    I know it's not always true - I didn't go to private school - in fact I went to a complete dump of a school and I'm in my 3rd year of a French degree, working near Paris for my year abroad :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not too fond of them. Prefer the Italians, and the Germans, and the Russians.

ReputationRep:
    The French language :coma: Hot boys with French accents :coma: Paris :coma: BNs :coma:

To summarise, no I do not.

ReputationRep:
    We are pretty damn good at fashion actually. As for food, people judge Italian food on so called "Italian restaurants" that could not be further away from Italian food. French cuisine has been lucky enough to be preserved as it has been kept to expensive restaurants, Italian on the other hand has been usurped by many a terrible restaurant that has little connection to Italy.

If you want to try real Italian food go to Italy and go to a half decent restaurant.
    Well I suppose that depends on your taste in fashion and food.

And yes, I'm not naive enough to think that Pizza Hut is a true reflection of Italian food. I remember having pasta con le sarde in a restaurant near the Trevi fountain once and being mightly unimpressed, despite this restaurant being recognised as one of the best in Rome with a price to supposedly match it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.