Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I know it's not always true - I didn't go to private school - in fact I went to a complete dump of a school and I'm in my 3rd year of a French degree, working near Paris for my year abroad :p:
    Join the club. I go to an average state school and studied 4 language GCSEs and 2 A-levels, plan on pursuing Spanish as part of my degree?

How are you finding the year abroad, by the way? I'm absolutely petrified of spending a year in Spain (I'm doing Spanish Law so have to attend lectures at Madrid university etc...:P).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Join the club. I go to an average state school and studied 4 language GCSEs and 2 A-levels, plan on pursuing Spanish as part of my degree?

How are you finding the year abroad, by the way? I'm absolutely petrified of spending a year in Spain (I'm doing Spanish Law so have to attend lectures at Madrid university etc...:P).
    I was only allowed to do 2, then 1 at A-Level...I miss German

I'm finding it awesome. Aside from missing everything at home and having some crap flatmates, I'm really enjoying it. You adjust quickly and pick up language traits in no time - I really couldn't recommend it more. That said, my contract finishes in five weeks - I'm looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    Very stuck up people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate the French, obviously that would be generalising and stupid.
    I hate the French people I met on holiday, but they must have just been ********s. They are all normal people like us lol, some are nice and some aren't.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

Wonderful culture, excellent cuisine, beautiful women and great wine. Secularism and republicanism. What's not to like?

ReputationRep:
    I live here and even though I didn't dislike them at first, I do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    I don't hate the French, obviously that would be generalising and stupid.
    I hate the French people I met on holiday, but they must have just been ********s. They are all normal people like us lol, some are nice and some aren't.
    You'd be amazed at the number of ********s in france. It's like 80% of the population.

ReputationRep:
    Love them. Independence from oil with nukleer power. I like baguettes, have tried "Escargots" (snails) and they are weird, and they are under an hour away on Eurostar from London.

Overall, I less-than-three the French...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandaly)
    You'd be amazed at the number of ********s in france. It's like 80% of the population.
    Well I haven't met enough of them to assume, but the ones I did meet were mostly ********s.

ReputationRep:
    I was only allowed to do 2, then 1 at A-Level...I miss German

I'm finding it awesome. Aside from missing everything at home and having some crap flatmates, I'm really enjoying it. You adjust quickly and pick up language traits in no time - I really couldn't recommend it more. That said, my contract finishes in five weeks - I'm looking forward to it!
    Yes, I do as well. I studied it at GCSE and wish I'd continued with it. That said, I would have said the same about French and Spanish. I just want to be fluent in all 3!! Not so bothered about Italian.

What's the problem with your flatmates? Did you feel well-prepared before you left? I can't see how I'm going to be able to improve my Spanish so much that I can live in the country and understand lectures on law and write essays on it in 2 years!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Van Grall)
    Love them. Independence from oil with nukleer power. I like baguettes, have tried "Escargots" (snails) and they are weird, and they are under an hour away on Eurostar from London.

Overall, I greater-than-three the French...
    you >3 the French?

ReputationRep:
    they do have nice food,

but they are so rude and DON'T QUEUE?!

ReputationRep:
    you >3 the French?
    hahaha

less than three ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Yes, I do as well. I studied it at GCSE and wish I'd continued with it. That said, I would have said the same about French and Spanish. I just want to be fluent in all 3!! Not so bothered about Italian.

What's the problem with your flatmates? Did you feel well-prepared before you left? I can't see how I'm going to be able to improve my Spanish so much that I can live in the country and understand lectures on law and write essays on it in 2 years!!
    I had the opportunity to at uni, but then Id have had to go to Germany for my YA and I wanted to go to France Ive learned some Catalan though I failed miserably so I'm probably going to try and self-teach Spanish once I'm done with uni.

Haha, everyones of a different nationality in here and every person really does live up to their own international stereotype. Unfortunately, that means the ANGLAISE gets blamed when things go wrong (the internet bandwidth being exceeded, the washing up not being done when none of it is mine, etc)

Did I feel prepared? LOL! No. I was sat at St Pancras before leaving, bricking it that I wouldn't be able to check into my hotel. You get there thinking you dont really know the language at all, but you pick it up so quickly. I cant comment on lectures, because I chose to work instead, but Ive been writing essays too and I couldnt begin to tell you how much my French has improved.

ReputationRep:
    Rural French people are without a doubt among the most kind and welcoming people I've ever met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    It would be stupid of me to say that I dislike my own people so no I do not dislike them
    This. And which city? I'm from Lyon

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a generalisation here

(Original post by dean01234)
    they do have nice food,

but they are so rude and DON'T QUEUE?!
    I suggest you avoid travelling, then, you'll realise that queuing is actually an exception and that there are many, many, many countries where they don't queue, and France will appear to you as a queuing heaven next to those countries. :p: (I'm in Russia atm, and if people queue-jump at the till, they'll be served first, it's so frustrating when you've been waiting for ages!)

(Original post by The Cornerstone)
    This. And which city? I'm from Lyon
    My sister studies there. Do you actually say "il fait faim", or did her lecturer go a bit nuts?

ReputationRep:
    Well not really, since I haved lived there and will most probably be going back to live there.

There's always been a decidedly British scepticism of "the French", possibly rooted in the Hundred Years' War or even monsieur Guillame's conquest, and not helped by the fact that France was happily handed over to the Germans by one of their own people in 1940. Just rivalry. Our food is rubbish, it's uneatable in France, all French make you speak their language, all Brits make you speak their language (more so)..

"Come on John, let's go to Paris, I'm sure there will be a McDonald's or something if the food gets that bad, and don't worry about the language, they all speak English there anyway.. and please, no surrender jokes this time!"

A bit of an exaggeration but the second one rings true. I was caught in the Eurostar hold-up in December and the amount of "IN ENGLISH PLEASE!!!" I heard over six hours of waiting in a queue became unbearable and quite frankly made me want to hide my identity. A definite French plus point for the "who's better at the other's language" debate, which I think is hands-down owned by the French. English being the "international language" and having brownie points for actually getting answered in French on buying tickets for the Eiffel Tower aside, I can't see why any person in France bar embassy staff should be made to have any English proficiency at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Do you actually say "il fait faim", or did her lecturer go a bit nuts?
    Never heard this in my life. The lecturer is clearly nuts

ReputationRep:
    Never heard this in my life. The lecturer is clearly nuts
    'Cause all the other people in the leture theatre seemed to think it was normal when my sister and I just stared at each other thinking "what on earth are we doing down south" :p:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.