Turn on thread page Beta

Do you dislike the French? watch

ReputationRep:
    Nope, dont hate them at all. My housemate does due to events in history, which i think is a bit silly, as its history!

ReputationRep:
    Yes my Great great Grandad fought against them in the Franco Prussian war.
    My great Grandad fought against them in world war 1.
    My great uncle fought against them in world war 2.
    So yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    So yes.
    So did my ancestors. Now look at this:

Friends at last! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)

Traitor.

ReputationRep:
    Traitor.
    Chauvinist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)

:love:

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing wrong with them :P

ReputationRep:
    So yes.
    So previous generations fighting against now dead soldiers gives you a valid reason to hate the current French population?

Well if you say so. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I think we've managed learning your language better than you've learnt ours. You also seem to all forget we're close to Spain, and we tend to do a lot better in Spanish (and Italian) than we do in English. We don't really need to learn another language, tbf. I'd hate to be monolingual, but French culture is definitely rich enough for us not to really need another language, at least not in our country. (Take Russia, it's so rare to find an English-speaking person you want to kiss them when you meet one)

Because you think it's acceptable that you butcher the simplest french words like "lingerie" or "croissant"?
    First of all I'm not from the UK. I have a French passport, a French Bac ES and two thirds of my family live in France
    I actually agree with you on most points. Yes, the French speak better English than vice versa. Yes, it's really hard to find English-speaking people in Russia. No, it's not acceptable to butcher French words... This goes for every country. If you take over a foreign proper noun without translating it, then try to pronounce it the right way.

But I still think that the French could try to make a bigger effort with English in international contexts such as tourism, being the number 1 tourism destination worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    First of all I'm not from the UK. I have a French passport, a French Bac ES and two thirds of my family live in France
    I actually agree with you on most points. Yes, the French speak better English than vice versa. Yes, it's really hard to find English-speaking people in Russia. No, it's not acceptable to butcher French words... This goes for every country. If you take over a foreign proper noun without translating it, then try to pronounce it the right way.

But I still think that the French could try to make a bigger effort with English in international contexts such as tourism, being the number 1 tourism destination worldwide.
    Fair enough, I'd rather we don't up losing our language to tourism, personally. When you look at newspapers and online resources, the amount of English words used in French makes me cringe. If there's a need to organise contests for people to invent new words to replace the English ones, there's a problem… Plus I'm in favour of making an effort to learn the language of the country I visit. Sure I won't be fluent when I get there, but it's far nicer to try and make an effort than shout louder in English when someone doesn't understand.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone seriously dislikes them, it's mostly just for the banter. I study French but still take the piss out of them.

Our french tutor complains to much about how she hates houses that are not detached in the uk! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    My sister studies there. Do you actually say "il fait faim", or did her lecturer go a bit nuts?
    Oh I want to study there! But I'm not sure they have what I want to study and I'm not really sure with the application.

But I don't think I heard anyone say that, I surely don't :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Our french tutor complains to much about how she hates houses that are not detached in the uk! :facepalm:
    lol That is rich coming from someone who thinks the height of chic is living in some poxy crumbling flat in Paris guarded by a rude bearded crone. The street outside is crammed with cars and people think nothing of clipping or bumping a car to get in a space themselves.

Give me a semi any day.

(Original post by CODKING)
    lol That is rich coming from someone who thinks the height of chic is living in some poxy crumbling flat in Paris guarded by a rude bearded crone. The street outside is crammed with cars and people think nothing of clipping or bumping a car to get in a space themselves.

Give me a semi any day.
    Lol ontop of that "My friends told me what i thought was a pound....was a lake" :facepalm: and then what angers me is when she says "I hate arrogant people" :gah: The cheek :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Lol ontop of that "My friends told me what i thought was a pound....was a lake" :facepalm: and then what angers me is when she says "I hate arrogant people" :gah: The cheek :lol:
    As long as we don't mention monkeys, cheese and surrender in the same sentence we can keep this thread at high quality reasoned debate level.

ReputationRep:
    No :confused:

I love some of it - I'm half-French - but since my mum comes from Alsace, there is Germanified influence on my family's life in France. So things I associate with my extended family aren't necessarily 100% français.

However I am slightly terrified about living in Paris for my year abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a generalisation here

I suggest you avoid travelling, then, you'll realise that queuing is actually an exception and that there are many, many, many countries where they don't queue, and France will appear to you as a queuing heaven next to those countries. :p: (I'm in Russia atm, and if people queue-jump at the till, they'll be served first, it's so frustrating when you've been waiting for ages!)

My sister studies there. Do you actually say "il fait faim", or did her lecturer go a bit nuts?
    For the queuing, we queue but in a French way, that means with some disorder and with un je ne sais quoi . Most of time if you don't queue the service will refuse to serve you and tell you to go back in the queue. Of course compared to Brits we don't line, but we are latin after all ^^.

Il fait faim is "correct" in some part of France. They were a lot of dialect before and some weird expression survived through time. It's like I say "clanche la porte" in Paris no one would understand me.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought a rather excellent quote was made by the Duke of Wellington; "We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France."

ReputationRep:
    I dislike them on principal simply because i'm English and an England rugby fan, i don't actually dislike them really though, it's just banter and all that jazz.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.