The Student Room Group

Chance of me getting a manchester offer?

Hi, I'm new to this forum but if anyone could give me their thoughts that would be great!

I had an interview for pharmacy at manchester yesterday, which I didn't feel went toooo badly, but now I'm worried that they'll only give me an offer of higher than my predicted grades, which I don't feel I'm capable of achieving.

(my predicted grades are Psychology ~ A, Biology ~ B, Chemistry ~ C)

Do you think there's any chance that they'l give me an offer for these predicted grades? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of accepting an offer for ABB, and then getting dissapointed in the summer. I don't really understand why I was given an interview in the first place tbh!

Any thoughts?! :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sunday
Hi, I'm new to this forum but if anyone could give me their thoughts that would be great!

I had an interview for pharmacy at manchester yesterday, which I didn't feel went toooo badly, but now I'm worried that they'll only give me an offer of higher than my predicted grades, which I don't feel I'm capable of achieving.

(my predicted grades are Psychology ~ A, Biology ~ B, Chemistry ~ C)

Do you think there's any chance that they'l give me an offer for these predicted grades? I wouldn't want to make the mistake of accepting an offer for ABB, and then getting dissapointed in the summer. I don't really understand why I was given an interview in the first place tbh!

Any thoughts?! :p:

the grades they offer you depends on how the interview went.... how bad was it???, im hearing manchesters really tuff on interviews, luckily i didnt apply there, what hard questions did the ask you?
Reply 2
Well from reading some of the other stuff people got asked mine wasn't too bad really (hopefully!)

had to do the 2 question/essay things beforehand, which was nasty I think!

Actually got asked...
Why Pharmacy?
Do you think pharmacists should be allowed to write prescriptions?
Can you think of reasons drugs would need to be thrown away/destroyed?
we talked about my work experiences, then she asked about my hobbies and because I said I liked reading, she asked what I read. She also chucked in a random mental maths question which I got right (thank god)

So not tooo bad, only thing that put me off was she had a horrible habit of just staring at me when I had finished answering :redface:
Reply 3
sunday
Well from reading some of the other stuff people got asked mine wasn't too bad really (hopefully!)

had to do the 2 question/essay things beforehand, which was nasty I think!

Actually got asked...
Why Pharmacy?
Do you think pharmacists should be allowed to write prescriptions?
Can you think of reasons drugs would need to be thrown away/destroyed?
we talked about my work experiences, then she asked about my hobbies and because I said I liked reading, she asked what I read. She also chucked in a random mental maths question which I got right (thank god)

So not tooo bad, only thing that put me off was she had a horrible habit of just staring at me when I had finished answering :redface:

the essay thing sounds bad, by the way what unis have u applied to ??? any offers ??
Reply 4
ajcool
the essay thing sounds bad, by the way what unis have u applied to ??? any offers ??

Applied to
Brighton (offer, 300 points minimum c in chem)
portsmouth, got an interview the 30th
reading, interview
kingston, interview
keele, heard nothing

Am only really interested in going to manchester/portsmouth/brighton tho!

what bout u?
Reply 5
sunday
Applied to
Brighton (offer, 300 points minimum c in chem)
portsmouth, got an interview the 30th
reading, interview
kingston, interview
keele, heard nothing

Am only really interested in going to manchester/portsmouth/brighton tho!

what bout u?

Just make Manchester your firm if you get an ABB offer, then failing that (say you get ABC) you can always take an insurance offer from another university with lower requirements.
Reply 6
Manchester won't offer less than a B for chemistry - they may give you a 3-Bs offer, or their standard ABB. I dont know whether they'll give you an offer with the predicted C though or not. However, the fact they've given u an interview means they're seriously considering you. You'll need that B in chemistry though

Portsmouth will probably give you an offer - they don't reject at interview unless you seriously screw up - as the interview is in a group of around 6!!

Good Luck!
Reply 7
But I wouldn't accept an offer of ABB, because I really do think my predicted grades are pretty realistic! So they've never offered ABC?
Did you catch the name of the person interviewing you? Its always interesting to see other people impressions of the lecturers. See if you can spot them on the staff list pics.

http://www.pharmacy.manchester.ac.uk/stafflist/
Reply 9
yeah I had Dr Tully, do you think she's pretty nice (as in will she let me in! :P)
Can I just say that you might find the course challenging if you're preicted a C in chemistry, unless it's an unfair prediction. I'm not trying to put you off or anything, but the course is very difficult and chemsitry based. Just something to think abot :smile: good luck.
She's nice enough, i don't really get lectured by her much though.
As for the chem situation... i didn't do biol A level so found it hard, but if you work at it, you get by. Theres 3 or 4 chemistry based modules in the first 2 years which are quite challenging. After that, the chemistry content dwindles quite a bit and focuses more on when you'd actually use the drugs and the disease states and other great bits of pharmacy
Reply 12
recneps
Manchester won't offer less than a B for chemistry - they may give you a 3-Bs offer, or their standard ABB. I dont know whether they'll give you an offer with the predicted C though or not. However, the fact they've given u an interview means they're seriously considering you. You'll need that B in chemistry though

Portsmouth will probably give you an offer - they don't reject at interview unless you seriously screw up - as the interview is in a group of around 6!!

Good Luck!

how was your interview at portsmouth, did you have to do presentations as the interview was in gps of 6 ? did they ask any difficult questions?, as thats a wierd way of interviewing in groups of 6..
Reply 13
ajcool
how was your interview at portsmouth, did you have to do presentations as the interview was in gps of 6 ? did they ask any difficult questions?, as thats a wierd way of interviewing in groups of 6..

Portsmouth interview was pointless. There were about 60 people in the room grouped around tables with 6 people and one interviewer per table - mine had never done an interview before and had been asked to stand in at the last minute, so don't know whether mine is a fair example.

We went round the table saying why we wanted to do pharmacy, etc - so by the 6th person ideas were getting a bit thin on the ground and repetitive.

Nottingham was a group interview with 3 people, whcih worked much better.
That sounds really ghey - group interviews are so stupid. When I had an interview at Portsmouth (for 2001 entry), it was one-on-one. One of my friends started out at Portsmouth before switching to King's (via a year in Kingston :rolleyes: ) and she says Portsmouth is a dump... lol

ISTR that Portsmouth was my insurance (BBC)
Reply 15
sunday
yeah I had Dr Tully, do you think she's pretty nice (as in will she let me in! :P)

Same here.I am not too bothered with the interview cos apparently a lot of people did it badly.

But I am kinda disappointed with the tour though.
I don't particularly like the city also it looks so dull.

--------------

recneps

Nottingham was a group interview with 3 people, whcih worked much better.

That's still not as good as a 1 on 1 interview and juding by this fact i bet they can hardly ask you academic based questions otherwise it would be unfair for the last one to answer the questions.
Reply 16
When I had gone to the manchester interview, I absolutely loved the uni and the facilities... If only it wasn't soooooooo far away from London. I loved the place, but didn't want to be so far away.
it seemed a bit dull to me too. I was a bit disappointed on the whole. The presentations were not very good and tours were rubbish. and it was freezing.

but it would still be exciting to go there.
Reply 18
it seemed a bit dull to me too. I was a bit disappointed on the whole. The presentations were not very good and tours were rubbish. and it was freezing.

but it would still be exciting to go there.

is that manchester??
ajcool
is that manchester??

yes..
the university was brilliant and everything and im sure if i go there it will be exciting but the whole ucas day thing didnt help very much in knowing much about the uni and the course. They just showed us a dispensary and another room and a presentation on what different careers u can go into or something like that.

It was very different to the presentations at bath where we were told nearly everything about the place.

Latest

Trending

Trending