Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Singing Society watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I recently searched the forums and found a significant lack of a TSR singing society. This needed to be corrected!

So if you are singing in choirs, having lessons, sing in a band or even in the shower, post about it!

What do you enjoy singing, where do you sing and why do you love it?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I am a 16 year old tenor, I have a range from about a bottom G to a top G (on a good day!). I sing at a school choir, a cathedral choir and a church choir.

Some church music is really fun to sing and I really enjoy it, but I also want to try and start singing for a band. I love singing the Beatles but a lot of their songs are just out of comfortable range so I have to transpose them down a couple of tones. I also enjoy singing some Muse (forsetto on 'Feeling Good' can produce interesting results :P) songs, Queen and The Coral.

The main reason I sing is that I can be sad, depressed or angry, sing for half an hour or so and feel happy. Sounds corny but its very true for me.

ReputationRep:
    I sing in the shower/on skype.... and I can't sing well to save my life, but that doesn't stop me.

WHAT CAN DO TO MAKE YOU LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE ME?!!
    WHAT CAN I DO MAKE YOU CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE?!!!

ReputationRep:
    wooo singers society, i'm an 18 year old soprano (grade 8 distinction) singing mainly classical art song and arias. going to uni to study music with first study voice

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16, soprano, just done my grade 7 with ABRSM
    Haven't really found a niche as such, but love opera - learning a piece from the marriage of figaro and is gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, and I've never taken lessons so have no idea what my range is other than that I can sing high XD .

I'm currently the singer for an acoustic band. We've only just been going for a few months, so just doing open mics and trying to get our name out there, but I'm loving every second of it. We do a mixture of 90s cheese and oddball metal/generally oddball song (most of which, I have to admit, are my suggestions). I'm yet to find something that makes me as genuinely happy as singing =) .

ReputationRep:
    this is a good idea. I did grade 8 a couple of years ago, sort of semi working towards a diploma now. Absolutely love it, though I have massive stage fright issues (in that, I won't actually do it in front of people) so that kind of ruins everything :p:

However, just got a part as fraulein kost in our school production of Cabaret so I am lumbered with this little number http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfsd5z_E4I. Very excited though, probs the first and last opportunity I'll have to play a prostitute on stage so wheyyy

(now starting to wonder what I have gotten myself in for..!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 17 year old Baritone. I can sing tenor (I can hit a top G), but I find a Baritone range much more comfortable I can go down to about an E before my voice starts getting crackily, but can hit a C# (Absolutely no idea why you'd want to though haha!).

I've only just started singing lessons about 2 terms ago, and I've sung for my AS music performance. I generally sing Grade 7/8 songs, and if I have time over the next two terms before I start learning an opera for my A2 performance I may do my Grade 8. I mainly sing Musical stuff played Tony in West Side Story, Bobby Child in Crazy for You, Nicely Nicely in Guys and Dolls, and played a few roles in Les Mis. Love singing! If it wasn't for the risks associated with a musical career / broadway (that'd obviously be a dream, most probably never realised haha!) then I would go for it, but unfortunately I'm going to do a degree which is more financially stable first.

For Grade 8 singing, what's the sight singing like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_Beeston)

For Grade 8 singing, what's the sight singing like?
    It's pretty hard, about the same as grade 7 though. I think you'll either get a really good one where you can predict the tune as it comes or it will just suck. Saying that, I thought I'd nailed it in my exam but didn't do very well my entire grade 8 exam was a bit of a disaster haha, it's a wonder I even passed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    It's pretty hard, about the same as grade 7 though. I think you'll either get a really good one where you can predict the tune as it comes or it will just suck. Saying that, I thought I'd nailed it in my exam but didn't do very well my entire grade 8 exam was a bit of a disaster haha, it's a wonder I even passed!
    Well i've not done any grades :P Was self taught up until 6 months ago. What kinda grade music is the sight singing? Is it like singing a grade 5 vocal line?

ReputationRep:
    I love singing for fun, I want to turn it into something serious one day to raise money for charity but I got to concentrate on my exams first :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_Beeston)
    Well i've not done any grades :P Was self taught up until 6 months ago. What kinda grade music is the sight singing? Is it like singing a grade 5 vocal line?
    Yeah I would guess that's about right. At grade 8 I think they can stick in pretty much any interval, there will probably be some funny rhythms designed to catch you out too, so basically focus on the rhythms and dynamics and words and try and come out with a tune that makes musical sense, because they care more about how you actually embellish it and make it interesting. Anyway it's not a vital part of the exam if you can nail your pieces- you have 4 worth 25 marks plus an unaccompanied so you can pass on those alone

ReputationRep:
    I may be flogging a dead horse by posting in this thread but here goes...

16 year old soprano, range from E below middle C to the C# two octaves above middle C. Possibly going to develop into spinto or soubrette. Been taking lessons for 3 years, I would say my strength is art song (discovered recently I have a talent for Dowland!) but I can do some opera too - I sang Voi Che Sapete from The Marriage of Figaro for my Higher Music. Doing my Grade 5 in November (because I'm still getting used to sight-singing because I hadn't done any until February, when I joined NYCoS). I sing with NYCoS and performed in the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall recently, and I also sing in loads of school choirs. I want to study voice at the RSAMD, hopefully 2014 entry, then become either a professional singer or singing teacher. Erm...I think that covers it!

Is there an official soc page or is it just a thread?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a, shall we say, more mature poster. I sang countertenor at Magdalen College, Oxford quite some time ago then went into teaching.

As well as classroom music, I taught singing, piano sax and flute. My natural voice is baritone but as tends to happen, I was usually asked to fill in tenor lines as they are in short supply. I got into singing blues, rhythm & blues and swing and later soul and for a while did very little classical. Recently I have joined a local choir and am singing more classical again. I love singing anything especially in harmony; a cappella for preference but it's not always easy to find enough people who can hold an individual part.

That's plenty for now - I hope this does become a full-on society. Do you have to ask a moderator or something?

ReputationRep:
    Theres always a shortage of tenors! Good news for me is that my top G (is that what the high tenor G is called?) is becoming much more comfortable recently. Auditioning for a musical tommorow!

ReputationRep:
    i dont do grades, as i learn mainly indian music, but i love singing all types of music as well as improvising
    i think i have quite a big range, but i prefer singing in an alto-ish range
    i really really want a good vocal teacher...does anyone have any iea of where to find one (indian or wetsern i don't mind)

ReputationRep:
    wow. its nice to see other singers on here
    my voice is untrained, wild, alright i guess
    i think im soprano, seeing as i have a naturally high voice...
    i sing mainly r&b, soul/.... yeahhhhh

i really dont know about notes and grades and stuff
    im just self-teaching myself acoustic guitar and piano simultaneously atm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenbinza)
    Theres always a shortage of tenors!
    Sometimes I wish I was a tenor :rolleyes: (although tbf, I think I value my femininity more). My teacher keeps rubbing it in that sopranos and baritones are "ten a penny" and that it's always altos and tenors who get jobs. This was so not helped by the head of vocals at the RSAMD saying there's like 300 sopranos auditioning for about 3 places!

I really do envy you!

ReputationRep:
    I was going out with a female tenor when I was singing alto

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bass in a choir. I travelled down the ranks of the choir from treble to bass during my time at school. My range is now from the E above middle C to the E two octaves below, and down to the D if necessary, but it gets a little murky.

I agree that tenors and altos are rare. When I was an alto, there were only two of us! The altos always seemed to get the most interesting roles, as well. I suppose voices in between ranges are trickier to maintain.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.