Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since I got my offer yesterday, I've been looking ever more deeply at the costs involved in studying at LSE and it appears even more expensive than I'd first thought. I'd always realised that studying in London incurred much greater expense and therefore part-time (maybe even full-time) work is a must (something I'm obviously willing to do), but nevertheless, I've been going through my student finance forms tonight and it seems I'll be likely only to receive around £5k as a maintenance loan (student finance table says it should be nearer the £6.5k mark) with nothing in terms of a maintenance grant. This wouldn't even cover accommodation alone, surely? I'm not from an affluent background so it is not as if informal family loans are much of an option and what's more, I would hate to leech of them when times became hard.

Hence why now I'm wondering about the bursaries/scholarships that the uni has and naturally I thought people here on TSR who are at LSE, who may have some experiences to share, would care to divulge their financial anecdotes from their time spent in London? I am more than a little worried now and feel silly for walking so blindly into it before realising the full ramifications of such a situation

ReputationRep:
    presuming that you have already accepted the offer to LSE
    congratulations at being accepted!
    dont let financial problems stop you from coming to such a respectable uni!

London - well everything is more pricey here
    depending on what lifestyle you want to have you can always reduce the amt u spend

i dont spend a lot
    maybe food is where i spend the most
    (if you live iin a hall that is catered - voila save more money - would recommend passfield hall)

if u live in an uncatered hall - ie. provide your own dinner, i think spending around 20-25 pounds a week should suffice
    dont gorge yourself on M&S and instead opt for cheaper supermarkets? like tescos

lunch - cheapest option is to make packed lunch
    but food at lse restaurants etc would set you back around £5 per lunch?
    Wright's Bar at LSE has the cheapest food, i think sandwhiches are like £1 maybe a bit more

going out
    depends where youre going what youre doing
    i recommend if youre on a tight budget go out, twice a week?
    probably can do it for £20 each time?

if you want to do things like watch musicals it will cost like £30-£40
    so do it once in a while

btw. its SO hard to get any bursaries or uni scholarships (i failed)

id say im not someone who is too active esp this year
    i probably live on £20-£30 a week? on occasions if i go out and do something big £40?

accommodation in the halls would set u back maybe £3k-£4k
    if you live outside (haha.. better not! you would be set back £10k if you include all your bills, travelling, internet costs)

i reckon with you're £5k youre pretty sorted
    say accom is £3.5k (in halls) you have £1.5k for the year
    split that to the 20-30 weeks you will be in london
    you have £50 per week - if you dont consume a lot then you may have some leftovers
    i recommend you try to get an extra £1k maybe? to fill in the social needs and occasional lavish spending?

if you get a job at LSE, you can be paid like £10 an hour (if youre lucky to get the right job)

downside, if you DONT get to live in a hall.. mmm bad bad.. some of my friends pay £170 per week to live in a flat, some pay £130
    but you need to consider now water, electricity, internet bills, travelling as well if you live far
    [when i totalled it up it went to like £8-10k]

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristy888)
    presuming that you have already accepted the offer to LSE
    congratulations at being accepted!
    dont let financial problems stop you from coming to such a respectable uni!

London - well everything is more pricey here
    depending on what lifestyle you want to have you can always reduce the amt u spend

i dont spend a lot
    maybe food is where i spend the most
    (if you live iin a hall that is catered - voila save more money - would recommend passfield hall)

if u live in an uncatered hall - ie. provide your own dinner, i think spending around 20-25 pounds a week should suffice
    dont gorge yourself on M&S and instead opt for cheaper supermarkets? like tescos

lunch - cheapest option is to make packed lunch
    but food at lse restaurants etc would set you back around £5 per lunch?
    Wright's Bar at LSE has the cheapest food, i think sandwhiches are like £1 maybe a bit more

going out
    depends where youre going what youre doing
    i recommend if youre on a tight budget go out, twice a week?
    probably can do it for £20 each time?

if you want to do things like watch musicals it will cost like £30-£40
    so do it once in a while

btw. its SO hard to get any bursaries or uni scholarships (i failed)

id say im not someone who is too active esp this year
    i probably live on £20-£30 a week? on occasions if i go out and do something big £40?

accommodation in the halls would set u back maybe £3k-£4k
    if you live outside (haha.. better not! you would be set back £10k if you include all your bills, travelling, internet costs)

i reckon with you're £5k youre pretty sorted
    say accom is £3.5k (in halls) you have £1.5k for the year
    split that to the 20-30 weeks you will be in london
    you have £50 per week - if you dont consume a lot then you may have some leftovers
    i recommend you try to get an extra £1k maybe? to fill in the social needs and occasional lavish spending?

if you get a job at LSE, you can be paid like £10 an hour (if youre lucky to get the right job)

downside, if you DONT get to live in a hall.. mmm bad bad.. some of my friends pay £170 per week to live in a flat, some pay £130
    but you need to consider now water, electricity, internet bills, travelling as well if you live far
    [when i totalled it up it went to like £8-10k]

hope this helps
    Indeed, it's been firmed

Very, very helpful and £50 a week would probably do me fine. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It's quite easy to find a job in London and most are flexible and used to employing students, you could easily earn an extra £4000 over the course of the year working part time

ReputationRep:
    Firstly apply for the cheap halls like Rosebery or Carr Saunders. You can get a free lunch at LSE from the Krishna cart thing- as long as you don't mind eating something that looks like gruel! The bursaries at LSE are not too great. Scholarships etc. are decent but it depends on what course you do and where you are from. So what course are you going to be doing. I would contact SLC and see if they have done something wrong to your application. I had something similar to you going on, but then a month or so later I had a letter saying that I now will be getting something around £7K rather than the £5K because my parental income has now been assessed. So just wait, or better still ask if they have calculated your parental income into the equation yet.

ReputationRep:
    My family earns around 100k per year and I'm an international student with an offer for a postgrad course at LSE. Just from those facts, how likely do you think it is that I'll get financial assistance? I'm sure very little, but even if there is a slightest chance, I want to fill in the financial assistance form. I'm happy that any financial assistance goes to people who need it the most, but I just wanted to know just in case LSE likes to give out bursaries out of its orifices ... or something.

ReputationRep:
    houghton street
    free food everyday
    <3 hare krishna people

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.