Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys: would you ever hit a girl? Watch

• View Poll Results: Guys, would you ever hit a girl given certain circumstances?
    Yes, depending on circumstances
    54.40%
    No, never
    45.60%

ReputationRep:
    Female crooks are slowly building up a massive repetoire of marks. I imagine after they smash a window, break in and punch their pet to death in front of these male owners, he'll be calmly suggesting an alternative solution.

ReputationRep:
    No, with two exceptions.

- Self defence.

- spanking dat ass.

ReputationRep:
    No F-ing way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    It's also ridiculous that, instead of saying 'no, it's not something I would ever consider acceptable', people stretch their imaginations to create the most far-fetched situations where it would be acceptable in order to justify saying 'yes, it can be acceptable to hit a woman'.

Got to wonder at that sort of mindset....
    Well the question asked if I would EVER hit a girl.

If I say no, then it means that if a woman was trying to attack me with a knife, I'm not going to hit her if even I think it would help the situation. This isn't true, if she is trying to stab me, of course I'm going to hit her. So this is why I answered yes.

The fact that the question says EVER implies that far-fetched situations should be considered. This isn't even that far-fetched of a situation anyway, it probably happens everyday somewhere on the planet.

I am not trying to justify hitting a girl, I am just answering the question that has been asked, get it?

Edit: Didn't read the first post, OP should put the qualifiers in the poll question if they want a proper response!

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    But nobody said never? The OP was centred around the idea of someone winding you up - in which case, it would not be justified.

I do agree, however, that there are certain situations as highlighted in this thread where it would be justified but they are unlikely to happen.

:ditto:

Aptly put.
    The question asked if I would EVER hit a girl, this implies that I am allowed to make up far-fetched situations in order to properly answer the question. Although I didn't actually read the post and see the 'winding up' bit..which should be in the poll if the OP wants proper replies to their question, this is probably why so many people have clicked on Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rooney1000)
    If they really, really wound you up.

I haven't, and probably never will due to fear of what will happen.
    If they hit me first, then hell yes. I don't see any reason why men shouldn't retaliate if a crazy ***** hits them.
    They wanted equality so they can't make any complaints at all, if a guy hits back.

ReputationRep:
    Only if she hit me first, and it wasn't accidental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    The OP envisaged a situation where you were wound-up. It is clear he was looking for answers that would challenge the socially-accepted norm that hitting women is wrong. Nobody, ffs absolutely nobody would take issue with you protecting yourself*. There would have been no point asking the question if you were meant to consider that, the answer is obvious, get it?

*although, the amount of people whose first resort is to strike at someone wielding a knife is worrying...
    Didn't read the OPs post, just answered the poll question. And no it wouldn't be my first resort lol.

ReputationRep:
    Being sensible about it no. If a girl was trying to attack me I know I could restrain the vast majority of females without striking them. To people saying why can't you hit back its the same reason you shouldn't hit a ten year old back. Quite simply most of the time you don't need to you can control the situation without anybody getting hurt.

ReputationRep:
    If a female attacked a female member of my family, then yes I would hit a girl and I would hit hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    No. There's really no need to resort to violence. If someone winds you up, hitting them is not the solution. It will just aggravate matters.
    Only if your a pussy...

ReputationRep:
    It would have to be an extreme situation, for example her coming at me with a knife. But if it was simply an argument or something like that, I wouldn't ever raise my hand to a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeW975)
    It would have to be an extreme situation, for example her coming at me with a knife. But if it was simply an argument or something like that, I wouldn't ever raise my hand to a girl.
    What if some chav girl punched your mum or your sister or girlfriend ?

Personally, If some chav slapper did that to my mother I would break her jaw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Native British Guy)
    What if some chav girl punched your mum or your sister or girlfriend ?

Personally, If some chav slapper did that to my mother I would break her jaw.
    That would qualify under the extreme situation. But the flip side of breaking this chav's jaw is her then reporting you to the police for assault... As well, it isn't classed as self defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeW975)
    That would qualify under the extreme situation. But the flip side of breaking this chav's jaw is her then reporting you to the police for assault... As well, it isn't classed as self defence.
    ................. So ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Native British Guy)
    ................. So ?
    Like I said, extreme situation but there are other ways to deal with them without resorting to using your fists. I could probably over power most girls without a problem, but I don't believe in doing it. I certainly wouldn't hit a girl who hit a girl I was with, I would stop the other girl from hitting her again but not by resorting to violence.

Fair enough I wouldn't be bothered about a police charge to keep someone safe. But I would always try to see if there are other ways to deal with a situation before resortingto extreme actions...

ReputationRep:
    No, only time I think I would ever hit a girl is if she a) hit a child or someone less physically capable than he or b) felt I didnt have a choice, she was either gonna kill me or was ne of them man beast bouncers you see in town

ReputationRep:
    If they hit me, sure!

ReputationRep:
    I believe in equal rights and so believe hitting a girl is equally as wrong as hitting a boy. Nobody should do either (unless absolutely necessary for self defense).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.