Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Australia watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am thinking of going to Australia for just under 3 weeks after Christmas and I was wondering if anyone had been and had ideas on where to get cheap flights and hotels. I had a look on Qantas and the cheapest it came out for London-Sydney-Brisbane-Cairns-Sydney-London was £1561. I'm not looking for backpackers as I am just going for a holiday rather than proper travelling. Thinking of going to Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns so would need to get internal flights up the coast as well. I don't really have a budget at the moment but I guess around the £3000 region, just for flights and hotels.

I have some ideas for things to do such as Australia Zoo, Blue Mountains, Sightseeing obviously, Barrier reef, Beaches, Byron Bay. But I am looking for other things to fill the time as well, however not really sure what other trips and activities are out there.

If anyone can offer any help that'd be awesome, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on Expedia, LastMinute etc they often have fares that are a fair bit cheaper than Qantas, BA etc. But just be careful with the journey time, the cheaper ones can have lengthy stopovers in Asia.

Would recommend doing Sydney. From there fly up to the Gold Coast. Byron Bay is worth visiting its about an hour by bus from the Gold Coast. Gold Coast is alright, but a bit like Blackpool albeit with a much nicer beach. Would recommend Noosa, Fraser Island and Cairns.

Depending on how you want to do it you can buy a Greyhound bus pass for a couple of hundred dollars from Byron to Cairns which allows you to hop on and hop off although you need to book each leg in advance.

I did the hostel thing when I travelled, but imagine you wouldn't get much change from £3000 if you stayed in hotels.

ReputationRep:
    Use the local cheapie airlines to short flights in the country - Jetstar and Virgin Blue. If you're not on a super tight budget the flights will allow you to use your limited time better than a bus arrangement would. The distances in Australia are much greater than you'd think

I would get a flight from Sydney after you've done the Sydney sight seeing and Blue Mountains (in the mountains make sure you check out Leura and Katoomba, lovely towns, and make some time to do a bushwalk) straight to Ballina/Byron, and then get a bus to the Gold Coast/Brisbane from there because it isn't far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieD)
    Have a look on Expedia, LastMinute etc they often have fares that are a fair bit cheaper than Qantas, BA etc. But just be careful with the journey time, the cheaper ones can have lengthy stopovers in Asia.

Would recommend doing Sydney. From there fly up to the Gold Coast. Byron Bay is worth visiting its about an hour by bus from the Gold Coast. Gold Coast is alright, but a bit like Blackpool albeit with a much nicer beach. Would recommend Noosa, Fraser Island and Cairns.

Depending on how you want to do it you can buy a Greyhound bus pass for a couple of hundred dollars from Byron to Cairns which allows you to hop on and hop off although you need to book each leg in advance.

I did the hostel thing when I travelled, but imagine you wouldn't get much change from £3000 if you stayed in hotels.
    I will have a look into everything more this weekend, definitely trying to avoid any stop overs which make the flights 30+ hours, it's bad enough at 21 or whatever it is. What is at Noosa and Fraser Island? I am going to visit Cairns as it's where the boats to the Barrier Reef go, and I definitely need some beaches to make everyone jealous of whatever tan I can get

(Original post by goewyn)
    Use the local cheapie airlines to short flights in the country - Jetstar and Virgin Blue. If you're not on a super tight budget the flights will allow you to use your limited time better than a bus arrangement would. The distances in Australia are much greater than you'd think

I would get a flight from Sydney after you've done the Sydney sight seeing and Blue Mountains (in the mountains make sure you check out Leura and Katoomba, lovely towns, and make some time to do a bushwalk) straight to Ballina/Byron, and then get a bus to the Gold Coast/Brisbane from there because it isn't far.
    I've been warned about the buses, don't want to be wasting time on a bus when I can fly there in an hour and a bit

Thanks for both your help, I need to properly research this and get a more realistic price and figure out times etc. Do you know a good place to go if I wanted to rent a bike and cycle around somewhere, I was told about somewhere you can cycle right along the coast but don't remember what it was called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oziris)
    I will have a look into everything more this weekend, definitely trying to avoid any stop overs which make the flights 30+ hours, it's bad enough at 21 or whatever it is. What is at Noosa and Fraser Island? I am going to visit Cairns as it's where the boats to the Barrier Reef go, and I definitely need some beaches to make everyone jealous of whatever tan I can get
    I've been warned about the buses, don't want to be wasting time on a bus when I can fly there in an hour and a bit

Thanks for both your help, I need to properly research this and get a more realistic price and figure out times etc. Do you know a good place to go if I wanted to rent a bike and cycle around somewhere, I was told about somewhere you can cycle right along the coast but don't remember what it was called.
    Haha, you'll get a tan just being out and about if you're coming just after christmas But beaches aplenty in Sydney, in Byron, at the Gold Coast, as well as Cairns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goewyn)
    Haha, you'll get a tan just being out and about if you're coming just after christmas But beaches aplenty in Sydney, in Byron, at the Gold Coast, as well as Cairns.
    Haha, I'd hope so, usually I just burn well rather than tan... Still I will have to beach it up when I am there. I can't come back to work after nearly 3 weeks of Aussie sun while still being pale.

I shall do some investigating the next few days to see how much this will all cost me, I should be able to save plenty from now until the time comes to book, especially if I can find some places to stay that I wont have to pay until I get there. Then I can work out day trips and beach days and other free things to do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.