The Student Room Group

Do you think there may be elites in our government/state today?

With the coalition government, don't you just think that elites will carry on ruling Britain and controlling the state?

Opinions.
Reply 1
What do you mean?
Reply 2
Basically, is Britain experiencing a bout of elitism in it's government?
Reply 3
It's not just the coalition government. In general the people who want to be an MP are from the elite or have characteristics that are shared by the elite (although they may be from a poor background). You're never going to have your 'regular guy' entering parliament. (obviously some exceptions-I'm generalising). There was a programme a few weeks ago which was saying the elite nature of this government is due to grammar schools being shut. I thought it was a pretty good argument.
Reply 4
Can't be just because of grammar schools!
Duh, didn't you realise, Britain is a plutocracy... the illuminati global elite have it under an iron grip.
Reply 6
Original post by c0nfus3d
Basically, is Britain experiencing a bout of elitism in it's government?

I think it's interesting that "elite" has almost become a term of abuse, and a synonym for being born into money and connection. If instead we use "elite" to mean those who are the brightest and best in their field, then surely we want these "elite" people to be in positions of power and influence.

Is it a good or a bad thing that only "elite" sportsmen and women get to go to the Olympic games?

If we mean elite, we should say elite. If we mean privileged then we should say privileged. If we tell people that being elite is a bad thing, then we're telling them that they shouldn't stride to be the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending