Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    The fact that she is having to take a further degree states the fact that first one was a load of ******* . :rolleyes:
    Errr.....not really. The knowledge and skills obtained from the degree still has relevance.

How do you know she is taking another degree? The member in question didn't say her sister is taking another degree, not as far as I'm aware. What she is probably doing is taking the Graduate Diploma in Law. This is quite a common route for solicitors (with around 50% of solicitors coming from a non-law background). This is a one year course.

It allows students, who already have a degree, to convert to law following their undergraduate degree. As a result an undergraduate is needed and her degree was therefore useful. It allowed her to get onto the course.

She would need to take this course even if she studied what you think is a useful degree, physics or engineering for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewDacris)
    Law Conversion?
    Could be a good idea, but I would say go into it with your eyes open and be aware that there is intense competetion.
    Again, being

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    The fact that she is having to take a further degree states the fact that first one was a load of b0110cks. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, most grad scheme employers just want a 2.1 from a good university. If you feel really doubtful do a masters in history after your degree and it'll all be cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    funniest person on the internet
    Dear Diary,

I'm starting to question my sexuality, there's this guy on the internet who just gives me wood....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    History and Education studies =/= History and Education. That is quite obviously lying, you can't omit and scrabble words in your degree because by doing so you are trying to gain an advantage. And it is not always 50:50 of each subject.
    What the hell is history and education studies then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foxfight04)
    Please give it to me straight, in these troubled times, will I be unemployable in areas other than teaching?

I study Education studies and History at Durham University.

I need brutal honesty.

Thanks.
    There are jobs that may not seem immediately visible as options but you'll be surprised that they may be compatible with your degree. An example is a production researcher. Movies and documentaries require people with real expertise to ascertain the facts or information in style, setting, lines ... all those period dramas need fact-checking to maintain the illusion of authenticity you know. Since you have Education as a half of your degree, it does sound like you could work for documentary studios...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.