The Student Room Group

why is human life so cheap in modern britain?

the average sentence for a convicted murderer is 15 years......

the average sentence for a convicted rapist is 7 years........

so, life is cheap. but why?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I believe they should bring back the death sentence. But make sure every case is properly done and stuff, not like how it was.
All Rapists/Paedophiles/Murderers (perhaps only people who've killed more than once) should be sentenced to death. Have numerous trials/make sure there's a good amount of scientific evidence/whatever makes it "fair".
Save us some cash too...

Simples :biggrin:

EDIT: I just knew all the do-gooders would neg me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Bring back public hanging i say.
Reply 4
Who has the right to sentence someone else to death, even if they have killed another? Doesn't that make them a killer also?
Reply 5
Who has the right to sentence someone else to death, even if they have killed another? Doesn't that make them a killer also?

no. of course it doesn't.......
Reply 6
Original post by humanrights
no. of course it doesn't.......

Of course it does. A kill is still a kill, even if it was 'justified' by a court.
Reply 7
Original post by Noodlepants
All Rapsits/Paedophiles/Murderers (perhaps only people who've killed more than once) should be sentenced to death. Use Lie detectors/numerous trials/whatever makes it "fair".
Save us some cash too...

Lie detectors don't really work, they shouldn't even be on Jeremy Kyle.
Reply 8
Of course it does. A kill is still a kill, even if it was 'justified' by a court.

no, a kill is not a kill. thats semantic games.

executing a murderer that has been convicted in a court of law is justice.

compassion for murderers is not rational. it cheapens human life and facilitates violence.
(edited 13 years ago)
15years is average in Britain?

I find that difficult to believe.
the average sentence for a convicted murderer is 15 years......

the average sentence for a convicted rapist is 7 years........

so, life is cheap. but why?

Because our legal system consists of a bunch of pussies.

Bring back the death penalty
Because the establishment is feeble and its sense of justice is weak. We have lost touch with the suffering of victims, with the gravity of crimes committed, and delude ourselves into thinking that hardened criminals are worth rehabilitating.

The law needs to be harsh and unforgiving to the unwanted scum of humanity. And that includes irreversible, permanent punishments for which there can be no compensation. Such as execution and permanent castration.
(edited 13 years ago)
no, a kill is not a kill. thats semantic games.

executing a murderer that has been convicted in a court of law is justice.

compassion for murderers is not rational. it cheapens human life and facilitates violence.

It's not "semantic games". I don't recognise the right of a state to kill civilians (murders can still be civilians) so any execution is seen as equivalent to murder in my eyes. Maybe not in law, but realistically I don't live my life by laws I live it by morals (I guess there are a few laws I follow against my will, but I mean on the whole).
Reply 13
I think it's a joke, 15 years? Life here means 'Sit back and relax, have a few attempts at appeals but don't worry, you'll be out in no time.' In America, life means life, it should be the same here.

Put them to death? I don't think so, two wrongs don't make a right and killing them just gives them an easy out.
Original post by Sabertooth
15years is average in Britain?

I find that difficult to believe.

That will probably be the average 'tariff': the time that must pass before a prisoner is eligible for parole. Every murderer gets a life sentence, which means they can potentially be imprisoned for their entire natural life. They may be entitled to parole after a set amount of years (this 'tariff').

If 15 years is the average tariff, I'd be interested to see how many convicts convince a parole board to let them out at that, in their first attempt? Must be pretty hard to go from 'killer' to 'no threat to society' within that space of time.

Oh, and they are released on a 'life licence'. Breach of the terms of that licence results in the sentence continuing...
Reply 15
Original post by Noodlepants
All Rapsits/Paedophiles/Murderers (perhaps only people who've killed more than once) should be sentenced to death. Use Lie detectors/numerous trials/whatever makes it "fair".
Save us some cash too...

Death Penalty is anything but cheap.
Even if it was possible to make "fair" (although you could never be 100% accurate - which is one of the reasons I am opposed) it costs far more to have someone executed than to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives. Yes, you heard me.

In Texas, the average cost of having someone executed is around the $2.5m.
That is because to "make it fair" they do have multiple trials, and appeals, and appeals, and appeals. If there is the slightest doubt, you can easily keep a case like that running for 10+ years.

I agree that our system is for pussies, though.
We should lock them up for life.
I don't care if they are dying of cancer and want to spend their last year in freedom. They didn't give their victim the same courtesy. But killing them isn't the answer.
Plus we keep them alive they can work in a factory for 40 years. Do something useful.
Reply 16
It's not "semantic games". I don't recognise the right of a state to kill civilians (murders can still be civilians) so any execution is seen as equivalent to murder in my eyes. Maybe not in law, but realistically I don't live my life by laws I live it by morals (I guess there are a few laws I follow against my will, but I mean on the whole).

i dont recgonise the state to take away the right of the community to administer justice as it sees fit.

the community wants the death penalty back for convicted murderers because the community is the body that suffers. not the state. the state is the arbitrator. at least it should be...the state is not the moral guardian.

execution is not murder. it is something completely different.
Reply 17
execution is cheap.

how cheap is a piece of rope, really?
Original post by Fallen
Death Penalty is anything but cheap.
Even if it was possible to make "fair" (although you could never be 100% accurate - which is one of the reasons I am opposed) it costs far more to have someone executed than to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives. Yes, you heard me.

In Texas, the average cost of having someone executed is around the $2.5m.
That is because to "make it fair" they do have multiple trials, and appeals, and appeals, and appeals. If there is the slightest doubt, you can easily keep a case like that running for 10+ years.

I agree that our system is for pussies, though.
We should lock them up for life.
I don't care if they are dying of cancer and want to spend their last year in freedom. They didn't give their victim the same courtesy. But killing them isn't the answer.
Plus we keep them alive they can work in a factory for 40 years. Do something useful.

I'm up for that, as long as some sort of suffering is involved.
Reply 19
execution is cheap.

how cheap is a piece of rope, really?

As cheap as the multiple appeals to make sure the person on death row has had ample chance to prove their innocence. Such cases will almost always be paid by the tax payer as the incarcerated won't really have much money after a few years in jail.

Hell, Sweden has lower crime than here and has lower jail sentences, so it's nothing to do with punishment, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending