Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

US 'kill team' soldier who murdered unarmed Afghans escapes life sentence watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I disagree.

It's as black and white as right and wrong.

Murdering civilians without a just cause or reason, is wrong.

I see the double standard you're applying here; terrorism is fine, as long as it's an American or British soldier.
    I agree. I don't understand why some people here are trying to defend these scum. There is no difference between these so called 'soldiers' and terroists.

ReputationRep:
    Seven years until he is eligible for parole? Well that's something. If he doesn't pay for his crimes then another innocent US soldier -- as innocent as you can be in war, anyway -- will inherit his due punishment when the Afghan people find out about this paltry retribution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sushidelight)
    Morlock, the first of five soldiers from the 5th Stryker Brigade to be court-martialed in the case, will receive 352 days off of his sentence for time served and could be eligible for parole in about seven years,
    Seriously what is this...Parole in seven years.

(Original post by Aj12)
    When was your last tour in Helmand?

And when was yours if you don't mind me asking?
    And also how would you feel if your son was killed in cold blood? Would you still feel the same way if you found out his killer got parole within 7 years.

Fact of the matter is you people here are lucky to even know of this story. If it were not for those images you would be non-the-wiser as to the war crimes these and others commit. They plant weapons on the dead bodies so that they don't get caught out. NATO deliberatly pulls a blind eye on this despite the locals protesting to Karzai. I commend Der Spiegel but I doubt any serious changes will come about. There will still be soldiers doing terrible things as tthere always has been.

Only a fool would join the infantry. They are fighting an unjust war. They as a result commit unjust acts of barbarity. They are not that much different from the Taliban scum. I share no sympathy for any of them.

I do not care what fate befalls on them in this life. Too many evil people in this world get away with their sins whilst others suffer for them. All I can say is that my thoughts are with the family who have lost their son and the many others who have suffered similar fates under the Taliban and American scum in this wretched war. There is little we can do.

They will suffer in the next life and deservedely so.

ReputationRep:
    American soldiers are just chavs with a license to kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    You're digressing from the point here - we're not talking about the morality/legality of the US and its actions, we're talking about what Manning in particular did and its comparison to this solider.

We can go into the topic of Iraq etc, but this is not the thread for it.
    That's cool, I just think that was this soldier did was worse and far more inhumane than what manning did, that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    That's cool, I just think that was this soldier did was worse and far more inhumane than what manning did, that's just my opinion.
    Person A (Solider) - kills X people (obviously a deplorable act).

Person B (Manning) - kills a lot more people than Person A, under the guise of "shedding light" on abuses, yet manages to self-promote himself to (i.e. brags about releasing the documents which is how he got caught).

Both A and B are heinous individuals, but I certainly know who is worse; both objectively and subjectively.

ReputationRep:
    If serial killing doesn't warrant a life sentence then I dunno what does

ReputationRep:

Person B (Manning) - kills a lot more people than Person A, under the guise of "shedding light" on abuses, yet manages to self-promote himself to (i.e. brags about releasing the documents which is how he got caught).
    Who did Manning kill? and what crime did he admit to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Who did Manning kill? and what crime did he admit to?
    He released classified information on a mass scale, including the name of informants and those working with the US (whose lives are now, if not already been taken, at risk), as well as information on how the US views certain other countries (which has no reason to be in the "public sphere" given how its nothing substantive beyond personal opinions on the large part, but nonetheless has an effect on diplomacy). This has already been stated in detail by both Pentagon and non-Pentagon officials/experts in security matters.

If he really did this to simply shed light on matters, I don't see why he released a large majority of irrelevant material beside this, as well as brag about releasing such materials moronically to his friends.

ReputationRep:
    He released classified information on a mass scale, including the name of informants and those working with the US (whose lives are now, if not already been taken, at risk), as well as information on how the US views certain other countries (which has no reason to be in the "public sphere" given how its nothing substantive beyond personal opinions on the large part, but nonetheless has an effect on diplomacy). This has already been stated in detail by both Pentagon and non-Pentagon officials/experts in security matters.

If he really did this to simply shed light on matters, I don't see why he released a large majority of irrelevant material beside this, as well as brag about releasing such materials moronically to his friends.
    WHO did he kill - be specific? provide a source for Manning bragging about it.

ReputationRep:
    He got a reduced sentence in exchange for ratting on his colleagues. Fair enough if thats what prosecutors need to do to secure convictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    When was your last tour in Helmand?

Just saying that these men are conditioned to fight and murder without remorse. We create men like these.

Not saying its an excuse for what they did and they are rightly being punished but its hardly black and white.
    uhmm well my last tour in Helmand was last summer. This so called ''warzone'' is home to innocent people. I am not going to argue with you because it will obviously take no place in ur narrow minded brain but im going to ask you one question: If he had massacred three innocent American civilians, would he be sentenced to seven years? The answer is obviously NO. Please can one person explain to me why an Afghan's live is seen less than the life of a NATO soldier. Surely this system that the West has introduced called democracy into Afghanistan teaches that everyone is equal?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Scarface-Don)
    uhmm well my last tour in Helmand was last summer. This so called ''warzone'' is home to innocent people. I am not going to argue with you because it will obviously take no place in ur narrow minded brain but im going to ask you one question: If he had massacred three innocent American civilians, would he be sentenced to seven years? The answer is obviously NO. Please can one person explain to me why an Afghan's live is seen less than the life of a NATO soldier. Surely this system that the West has introduced called democracy into Afghanistan teaches that everyone is equal?
    he has not been sequenced to 7 years it is 7 years parole. I doubt he is going to get it ether. He also only got such a shortened sentence because he made a deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    24 years in prison will be prrety brutal. A quarter of your life gone. 25 years spent in a box getting an hour of sunlight a day.
    A quarter of your life gone. Well they just took the ENTIRE life on an innocent(s)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    He got a reduced sentence in exchange for ratting on his colleagues. Fair enough if thats what prosecutors need to do to secure convictions.
    I find that ridiculous. They shorten their sentence just because they rat? They leave earlier and could do those stuff all over again! Well i guess this way those extra people who were also at fault also get punished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    -

I have zero pity for them.
    Big respect to you my friend!

(Original post by sandeep90)
    Should be life, with no possibility of parole.

I would never want them to be executed for it, though.
    Agreed. Execution will be too easy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JongKey)
    A quarter of your life gone. Well they just took the ENTIRE life on an innocent(s)
    And the fact he will come out of prison with nothing and be lucky to have much of a life after.

ReputationRep:
    This is controversial but part of me thinks that military courts should have the death penalty available to them for serious and premeditated war crimes such as these. Soldiers would, I am sure, have no qualms about shooting/sniping/bombing people who have previously killed US soldiers. Surely the same should apply in reverse - perhaps those who live by the sword should die by the sword?

The other part of me is strongly opposed to capital punishment. IMO it's a difficult one to call in sitautions like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    And the fact he will come out of prison with nothing and be lucky to have much of a life after.
    How can you have sympathy for this guy? He just killed someone fgs! Honestly, i couldn't care less if he came out and had nothing of a life - he should have thought of that when he killed an innocent person.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JongKey)
    How can you have sympathy for this guy? He just killed someone fgs! Honestly, i couldn't care less if he came out and had nothing of a life - he should have thought of that when he killed an innocent person.
    I do not have sympathy for this guy my original point was that 25 tears in prison is hardly a light punishment

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.