Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've just been to the Open day at Durham and had a great time! St. Aidans was great!
    Just wanted to see other peoples thoughts on Aidans and Durham in general, Plus the accommodation, problem is i really really dont want a shared room, i had one on the open day and the person i shared with was great but when i go up i really don't want to share! Help! Aidans has highest proportion of shared rooms why i didn't think of this before i don't know! But yeah is there any way of making sure you dont wind up in a shared because that would really ruin Durham for me otherwise, im not trying to be unfriendly i just want my own space and some privacy! But if they do try and put me in a shared then can you go about changing rooms? Or even changing college to get a single either now or in october? I really want to go aidans but i want a single room more! Like i said the person i shared with was great and the college was amazing i just personally dont want a shared room. So if they do try and put me in a shared i'll try everything to get out of it even move college! It's a shame because loved Aidans so much great atmosphere and incredible people, but the food was a bit... Although radioactive custard is always good
    Apart from that can't wait to get to durham!

ReputationRep:
    Even if you do end up with a shared room, I was told the questionnaire works really well in ensuring you're paired up with someone with similar tatses and interests. But if you genuinely do want to switch, there are provisions to do so i believe. A handful of students apparently get cold feet and don't turn up to uni, despite saying so and there are always a few spare rooms available.

I've also heard stories that a polite, convincing and creative letter might sway their decisions.

Failing that... play the disability or mental illness card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frelsh)
    Hi! I've just been to the Open day at Durham and had a great time! St. Aidans was great!
    Just wanted to see other peoples thoughts on Aidans and Durham in general, Plus the accommodation, problem is i really really dont want a shared room, i had one on the open day and the person i shared with was great but when i go up i really don't want to share! Help! Aidans has highest proportion of shared rooms why i didn't think of this before i don't know! But yeah is there any way of making sure you dont wind up in a shared because that would really ruin Durham for me otherwise, im not trying to be unfriendly i just want my own space and some privacy! But if they do try and put me in a shared then can you go about changing rooms? Or even changing college to get a single either now or in october? I really want to go aidans but i want a single room more! Like i said the person i shared with was great and the college was amazing i just personally dont want a shared room. So if they do try and put me in a shared i'll try everything to get out of it even move college! It's a shame because loved Aidans so much great atmosphere and incredible people, but the food was a bit... Although radioactive custard is always good
    Apart from that can't wait to get to durham!
    In principle if avoiding sharing, even for a short while, is your highest priority the only safe option is not to firm Durham or be prepared to find private accommodation outside the College but then you'd miss out on one of the main reasons for coming to Durham. You have no right to insist on single accommodation (although you can and should ask but there's no guarantee that you would get what you ask for) and switching College on the grounds of wanting better accommodation isn't likely to happen. By all means let the College know how you feel but that won't oblige them to exempt you.

Having said all that, it's worth injecting a more positive note. Loads of people feel the way you do before they come to Durham and a significant number of them end up sharing when they'd rather not since the accommodation has to be filled and very few people are happy at the prospect of sharing. The vast majority of these unwilling sharers find the reality isn't anywhere near as bad as they feared and many positively enjoy the experience, much to their surprise. A lot of effort goes into pairing sharers up so that they're as compatible as possible (which of course doesn't happen at open days) and many lifelong friendships have started from people discovering they're sharing a room. If sharing did turn out to be problematic in reality, College will move people out of shared accommodation as soon as single accommodation becomes available. However, the dropout rate at Durham is quite low and you might not be the top priority for moving so you shouldn't assume that sharing would definitely last only a short period but it could be.

In summary, I'd encourage you to make your peace with the possibility of sharing - everyone wants their space and that's perfectly normal but the experience really isn't as bad as people fear. It may not happen and it might last for long, especially if you let the College know how you feel but sharing isn't something you can guarantee to be able to avoid. If you can't bear the idea of sharing even briefly, then don't accept your offer from Durham - it would be the only way to be sure. Personally, I wouldn't advise that since I'm horribly biased and I think Durham is such a brilliant experience that the risk of sharing is worth running. You may feel differently. Good luck with the choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astro67)
    In principle if avoiding sharing, even for a short while, is your highest priority the only safe option is not to firm Durham or be prepared to find private accommodation outside the College but then you'd miss out on one of the main reasons for coming to Durham. You have no right to insist on single accommodation (although you can and should ask but there's no guarantee that you would get what you ask for) and switching College on the grounds of wanting better accommodation isn't likely to happen. By all means let the College know how you feel but that won't oblige them to exempt you.

Having said all that, it's worth injecting a more positive note. Loads of people feel the way you do before they come to Durham and a significant number of them end up sharing when they'd rather not since the accommodation has to be filled and very few people are happy at the prospect of sharing. The vast majority of these unwilling sharers find the reality isn't anywhere near as bad as they feared and many positively enjoy the experience, much to their surprise. A lot of effort goes into pairing sharers up so that they're as compatible as possible (which of course doesn't happen at open days) and many lifelong friendships have started from people discovering they're sharing a room. If sharing did turn out to be problematic in reality, College will move people out of shared accommodation as soon as single accommodation becomes available. However, the dropout rate at Durham is quite low and you might not be the top priority for moving so you shouldn't assume that sharing would definitely last only a short period but it could be.

In summary, I'd encourage you to make your peace with the possibility of sharing - everyone wants their space and that's perfectly normal but the experience really isn't as bad as people fear. It may not happen and it might last for long, especially if you let the College know how you feel but sharing isn't something you can guarantee to be able to avoid. If you can't bear the idea of sharing even briefly, then don't accept your offer from Durham - it would be the only way to be sure. Personally, I wouldn't advise that since I'm horribly biased and I think Durham is such a brilliant experience that the risk of sharing is worth running. You may feel differently. Good luck with the choice.
    Do you think if you had autism you could avoid sharing a room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfgdtdrmtdnrtd)
    Do you think if you had autism you could avoid sharing a room?
    If you can provide independent evidence of any condition (autism would certainly qualify) that requires a single room, then you can be confident you'll get one - sorry, should have mentioned that before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HELPMENOW)
    I've also heard stories that a polite, convincing and creative letter might sway their decisions.

Failing that... play the disability or mental illness card?
    You missed the 'raging homosexuality' card. I think one of my Freshers' Reps used it in their first year.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.