Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I applied to BA Hons Graphic Design at CSM an received an unsuccessful on UCAS last week.

No reason has been provided and I can't decide what went wrong with the application. Didn't even get offered a portfolio review or interview.

The course entry requirements state:

• Passes in 2 GCE A Levels (80 UCAS tariff points normally including one single award)
    • Passes at GCSE level in 3 other subjects (grade C or above)

or
    • Foundation Studies in Art and Design
    • A pass in 1 GCE A level
    • Passes at GCSE level or equivalent in 3 subjects (grade C or above)

I completed the required GCSEs and a BTEC National Diploma (Graphic Design) last year. Is it possible that the BTEC ND doesn't count as a requirement for this course?

Do they strictly expect a foundation? Considering a foundation is usually a less involved/shorter qualification, I can't believe that would be the situation.

This is pretty disappointing if I essentially wasted a whole choice on something I didn't have a chance with. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, ah that sucks! ): Sorry to hear you were rejected.
    Usually you can contact the institution if you want to find out why you were rejected, if you're not sure why, and it should normally say on the course page if equivalent qualifications are accepted.
    I found that some institutions do prefer you to do a foundation before just as it lets you experiment, progress and what not, but for some it isn't a necessity.
    A uni I applied for didn't interview me either, really feels like a waste of a choice doesn't it? ):
    It could just be the course is full already, or your personal statement didn't stand out among others, you should contact them if you want to know. I hope this helps a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HWD-x)
    Hey there, ah that sucks! ): Sorry to hear you were rejected.
    Usually you can contact the institution if you want to find out why you were rejected, if you're not sure why, and it should normally say on the course page if equivalent qualifications are accepted.
    I found that some institutions do prefer you to do a foundation before just as it lets you experiment, progress and what not, but for some it isn't a necessity.
    A uni I applied for didn't interview me either, really feels like a waste of a choice doesn't it? ):
    It could just be the course is full already, or your personal statement didn't stand out among others, you should contact them if you want to know. I hope this helps a little.
    Thanks! I contacted them this morning so shall wait and see

If it's something such as not having a foundation, I always think that unis should send you a notification within a couple of days after applying. This would give you the chance to cancel a choice within 2 weeks and substitute it. I was also rejected by NTU for not having a Maths C grade at GCSE. This was a stupid choice because I should've been more careful at reading the entry requirements. It wouldn't hurt to let applicants know straight away though, rather than making you wait for weeks or months and then rejecting.

ReputationRep:
    Update: Still waiting to hear from CSM after getting email auto-responses etc.

Anyone have any idea on this?

ReputationRep:
    CSM are ridiculous. And i say that while being linked to them. For each of their courses theres something like 40 applicants to each place meaning they have to be REALLY picky. Also, if you want a Graphic Design degree from University of the Arts(of which CSM is a campus) London College of Communication is the more traditional one. CSM now purely slides by on its reputation and the new campus wont give anyone as much free studio space as before.

Ill admit I may be a bit prejudiced by being an LCC student, but I was rejected by CSM twice first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaded22)
    CSM are ridiculous. And i say that while being linked to them. For each of their courses theres something like 40 applicants to each place meaning they have to be REALLY picky. Also, if you want a Graphic Design degree from University of the Arts(of which CSM is a campus) London College of Communication is the more traditional one. CSM now purely slides by on its reputation and the new campus wont give anyone as much free studio space as before.

Ill admit I may be a bit prejudiced by being an LCC student, but I was rejected by CSM twice first
    Haha, I think that's pretty much the opinion I've started to make of it. What do you study at LCC?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.