OMG :) ABC offer for Durham Law - relieved! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ladyluck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
I have visited Van Midret (or whatever it is called), Castle, Cuths and one or two others including one of the girls ones where I once went to a ball.

Despite being public school educated at one time myself I didnt like it - I just felt that it was full of rah rahs who thought that they were something special because they went to Durham.

That is not to say that it is no good - just not to my taste!
One of my friends is at Van Mildert, she knows a guy at Hatfield that at 20 finds it "cool" to smoke a pipe. (er ...yeah...).
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Are you an overseas student, mature student or an international Rugby player or something?

I am AMAZED that you would get offers as such of Law, as someone else has said Warwick is the only one that is anything like a "proper" Law offer!!!
I'm an international rugby player

Lolz.. no no.. just an international student.

Are my offers really that low? *points back a few boards*... but anyway, it doesn't really matter. Honestly, I wouldn't have been too worried with an AAA offer. What offers did other people get then?
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
I'm an international rugby player

Lolz.. no no.. just an international student.

Are my offers really that low? *points back a few boards*... but anyway, it doesn't really matter. Honestly, I wouldn't have been too worried with an AAA offer. What offers did other people get then?
ABC from Durham is REALLY low. Didnt they give a standard of AAA?
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
ABC from Durham is REALLY low. Didnt they give a standard of AAA?
yeah for Law at Durham, the standard offer is AAA, so ABC really is low. But its different for everyone depending on how amazing or non-amazing they are. So it might be that lilsunflower is really good so they lowered the offer for her.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kenkennykenken)
yeah for Law at Durham, the standard offer is AAA, so ABC really is low. But its different for everyone depending on how amazing or non-amazing they are. So it might be that lilsunflower is really good so they lowered the offer for her.
Yes, this lil lady really deserves it. I keep bumping into her boards and she'll be an asset.

p.s. lilsun if ur reading this, PM me back!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by starry)
Yes, this lil lady really deserves it. I keep bumping into her boards and she'll be an asset.

p.s. lilsun if ur reading this, PM me back!
Oops sorry for not PMing.. I realised I have like 10 PMs and I didn't know.. hehe.. sorry will reply asap.

Now I'm watching Skate America on ESPN... WHEE! My secret ambition (now no longer a secret).. to become an ice skater
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Oh man! I checked the Durham website and realised they have scholarships for international students. They say that I don't need to apply and they will give the scholarship on 15th March. BUT... they say we need IELTS 6.5 or above at the time of application.

WHY?

ARGH... if we already have As in English and English Literature, why IELTS? Poooo..
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh man! I checked the Durham website and realised they have scholarships for international students. They say that I don't need to apply and they will give the scholarship on 15th March. BUT... they say we need IELTS 6.5 or above at the time of application.

WHY?

ARGH... if we already have As in English and English Literature, why IELTS? Poooo..
hehe at least theres scholarships for international students! i dont think theres any for students here :mad:
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
hehe at least theres scholarships for international students! i dont think theres any for students here :mad:
It's only 2000 pounds per annum!

Estimated costs are 15,000 pounds (Durham is cheap compared to other unis! YAYZ!) per annum - including my airfare. So 2000 pounds knocked doesn't mean I'm paying less than you guys! In fact, even if I get a scholarship, I'll be paying more in one year, than UK and EU students for the entire course.

Poor parents of mine.
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's only 2000 pounds per annum!

Estimated costs are 15,000 pounds (Durham is cheap compared to other unis! YAYZ!) per annum - including my airfare. So 2000 pounds knocked doesn't mean I'm paying less than you guys! In fact, even if I get a scholarship, I'll be paying more in one year, than UK and EU students for the entire course.

Poor parents of mine.
ouch. its unfair that international students have to pay that much more
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
ouch. its unfair that international students have to pay that much more
But if we didn't pay so much, it'd be really unfair on UK students coz' we'd flood the universities and that's really undesirable. I guess it's like immigration controls in a way.. not anyone can enter.
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
I have visited Van Midret (or whatever it is called), Castle, Cuths and one or two others including one of the girls ones where I once went to a ball.

Despite being public school educated at one time myself I didnt like it - I just felt that it was full of rah rahs who thought that they were something special because they went to Durham.

That is not to say that it is no good - just not to my taste!
well yes as you can tell it is full of Rahs like me and Hannah.......Cuths is quite blatantly not....you obviously didnt visit or if you did you only stayed for five minutes and didn't talk to anybody.........Castle is i'll give you that but Cuths ain't.

and we are summat speciel cos we come here, cos it is special, and very cool all at the same time....especially Cuths.....
katiyakat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh and me and Han and michelle have been put in charge of organising the University freshers week for you guys!!!! (how the hell did that happen............)
Heaven help us all! Well it won't be boring, that's for sure .
bean4ian
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Why are there some people here who are so against Durham? It is almost always in the top fifteen in the main uni league tables, which use objective measurements, so it is firmly-established as one of the best unis. And The Times table rates it higher than both Warwick and Nottingham for Law (in fact it's fourth behind Oxbridge and the LSE) so on the strength of that choosing it seems rational enough.

because its an up-yer-bum-hole uni, like most of the others at the top, but some how warwick and nottingham especially, seem more like real places not full of snoresville bummin it students that for fun like to joyously leap around at the solving of yet another equation....woohoo.....or not. its just got this whole stigma attatched to it thats screams, BORING! well, thats my opinion, and yes i am probably wrong but i care not.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by bean4ian)
because its an up-yer-bum-hole uni, like most of the others at the top, but some how warwick and nottingham especially, seem more like real places not full of snoresville bummin it students that for fun like to joyously leap around at the solving of yet another equation....woohoo.....or not. its just got this whole stigma attatched to it thats screams, BORING! well, thats my opinion, and yes i am probably wrong but i care not.
oh gosh.. all this mudslinging at durham is just scaring me to bits. EVERYONE likes Nottingham, but some LOVE Durham and some HATE it. Has anyone who has actually been to Durham hated it?

I'm just terrified. Plus, how is accomodation allocated? If I'm stuck in a shared grotty room, I have to stay there and pay the same amount as someone with a single ensuite room?
bean4ian
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh gosh.. all this mudslinging at durham is just scaring me to bits. EVERYONE likes Nottingham, but some LOVE Durham and some HATE it. Has anyone who has actually been to Durham hated it?

I'm just terrified. Plus, how is accomodation allocated? If I'm stuck in a shared grotty room, I have to stay there and pay the same amount as someone with a single ensuite room?

Nottingham is a sure bet for enjoyment it also has the great reputation to follow. its a good city with a really nice campus. as far as my knowledge on accomodation goes- u really dont want to have a shared room! u could end up with some fruit drying weirdo! its not worth the risk. just apply early for a single room best with a sink in it, dont bother with en suit, because shared bathroom creates much towel whipping banter!
walks
Report 16 years ago
Thanx very much AmyBlue and Ave Han for info on cuths! got an offer from them, but wasnt even gonna consider it. Guess i was put off by the idea of it being a college where everyone lives out, but now its my first choice over Warwick and York! any advice u could give on how to get sum good accomodation please?

cant wait for the march open day now...
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I was told by a student at the law open day that there was a draw for rooms in his college last year ( i think its was van mildert) and that usually happens, although in certain colleges, the older oes get first tabs on the accomodation.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I thought Nottingham was a bit of ****hole when I visited it to be honest. But yes, hmmmmmm....
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Woohooo! My dad made me a wonderful deal today. Actually, it wasnt a deal, just a privilege.

He suggested I talk to my teachers about my university choices, and THEN, I go to the UK by myself in March to look at the universities I'm interested in.

I'm just thrilled by this suggestion because I believe that it is paramount that I choose the university that I feel most at 'home' in. It's so hard making a choice when I'm confined to 2-d perspectives from the computer or prospectus. And everyone's opinions differ so greatly.

Right now, I haven't confirmed this trip because it will cost me 3000 pounds. My dad has given me the greenlight, but I feel horrible spending so much when I haven't done anything to deserve it. I'll try to get my roomie (who's also been accepted at the unis I've been accepted at) to come along, and at least we can split taxi fares, hotel costs etc. Plus, I won't get lost

I'm looking forward to it, if it ever materialises.

xoxo
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?