MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
what fuel does your car use?

poll comin
MorbidAngel
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Note to mods: this was in GC because it would get the attention of more people who drive. and whoever give me the points, im sure you have posted in 'the wrong place' many times before
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Mine is a diesel turbo and I love it. Don't like driving petrols (or normal diesels) cos you have to change gear too often!
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They say that Diesel is the fuel that is most advancing by way of exemplifying that in the VW engines. When I heard that VW diesel engine start, my god that still sounded bad. Even their petrol engines sound bad. Their getting better in regards to performance, but the noise of them just turns me off. I'd rather get a hybrid.
snmichaels
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wouldn't mind one of the BMW or Merc twin turbo diesels if it HAD to be a diesel. I only put up with my VW diesel because it gets good mileage and is cheap.

You're right, the sound is horrible. A bus sounds better than my Golf.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You missed 'Petrol, but prefer LPG'

Do twin-turbos have 2 dump valves or just one?
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Petrol.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only time i'd have a diesel (in a car) is in a Land Rover, tbh
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
They say that Diesel is the fuel that is most advancing by way of exemplifying that in the VW engines. When I heard that VW diesel engine start, my god that still sounded bad. Even their petrol engines sound bad. Their getting better in regards to performance, but the noise of them just turns me off. I'd rather get a hybrid.
PD has now been dropped by VW for future engines, partly for that reason and the over complexicity of PD over DI. A hybrid right now is awful, false economy considering the MPG compared with a modern diesel.
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Petrol!!! The Naturally aspired petrol engines usually beat their equivalent in diesel and I'm talking performance wise!
Spiral Architect
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Have you ever driven or been in a 130bhp VW passat or Skoda Fabia VRS? Some of the best diesel engines around. They shift too. The fabia for example has more torgue than a Porsche Boxter.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SpiralArchitect)
Have you ever driven or been in a 130bhp VW passat or Skoda Fabia VRS? Some of the best diesel engines around. They shift too. The fabia for example has more torgue than a Porsche Boxter.
Diesels usually have a higher Torque than pertol engines but since they have a longer piston Stroke than a petrol engine, this results in them having less "RPM" hence they have a lesser power rating than an equivalent diesel.. SO if a diesel engine has more torque than a porsche boxter;It doesn't necessarily mean it performs more than a porsche
recneps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I drive petrol, but my dad has had diesel mondeos for the last few years and the fuel consumption is amazing.

He's now moved on to a diesel Jaguar X-type (latest model), which is supposed to have the same fuel consumption as the mondeo (as its the same engine)
GoodasGyal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My car takes unleaded not sure if thats the same as petrol.
My mum's car is diesel but she fills it with vegetable oil instead to save money.
Leigh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TopShopper_girl)
My mum's car is diesel but she fills it with vegetable oil instead to save money.
Does she declare that to the Government and pay tax, or do we need to report her for breaking the law? :p:
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Petrol (and a lot of it unfortunately). Hopefully soon to be LPG converted.
bluff master
Report 13 years ago
Diesel is better new technology and no need for that biting point n s4it
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nike_inc)
Diesel is better new technology and no need for that biting point n s4it
Since the "biting Point" is when the clutch attaches the wheels of the car to an engine; you ALWAYS need a biting point to move forward.. You dont feel like you get the "biting point" in a diesel engine because it has alot of torque :p:

--------------

(Original post by TopShopper_girl)
yep Unleaded is petrol...
lime3k
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Petrol currently, my next cars gunna be leaded however, until I can offord a conversion.

out of interest can a leaded engine use LPG without hardened valve seats?
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Eh?

LPG is gas, it'll be as complicated as making it compatable with unleaded.

Halfords do a good additive, my dad uses it on his car and it works fine, adds a bit of octane too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (586)
80.27%
Leave (144)
19.73%

Watched Threads