The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Note to mods: this was in GC because it would get the attention of more people who drive. and whoever give me the points, im sure you have posted in 'the wrong place' many times before
Reply 2
Mine is a diesel turbo and I love it. Don't like driving petrols (or normal diesels) cos you have to change gear too often!
Reply 3
They say that Diesel is the fuel that is most advancing by way of exemplifying that in the VW engines. When I heard that VW diesel engine start, my god that still sounded bad. Even their petrol engines sound bad. Their getting better in regards to performance, but the noise of them just turns me off. I'd rather get a hybrid.
Reply 4
I wouldn't mind one of the BMW or Merc twin turbo diesels if it HAD to be a diesel. I only put up with my VW diesel because it gets good mileage and is cheap.

You're right, the sound is horrible. A bus sounds better than my Golf.
You missed 'Petrol, but prefer LPG' :biggrin:

Do twin-turbos have 2 dump valves or just one?
Reply 6
Petrol.
Reply 7
Only time i'd have a diesel (in a car) is in a Land Rover, tbh
walshie
They say that Diesel is the fuel that is most advancing by way of exemplifying that in the VW engines. When I heard that VW diesel engine start, my god that still sounded bad. Even their petrol engines sound bad. Their getting better in regards to performance, but the noise of them just turns me off. I'd rather get a hybrid.

PD has now been dropped by VW for future engines, partly for that reason and the over complexicity of PD over DI. A hybrid right now is awful, false economy considering the MPG compared with a modern diesel.
Reply 9
Petrol!!! The Naturally aspired petrol engines usually beat their equivalent in diesel and I'm talking performance wise!
walshie

Have you ever driven or been in a 130bhp VW passat or Skoda Fabia VRS? Some of the best diesel engines around. They shift too. The fabia for example has more torgue than a Porsche Boxter.
Reply 11
SpiralArchitect
Have you ever driven or been in a 130bhp VW passat or Skoda Fabia VRS? Some of the best diesel engines around. They shift too. The fabia for example has more torgue than a Porsche Boxter.
Diesels usually have a higher Torque than pertol engines but since they have a longer piston Stroke than a petrol engine, this results in them having less "RPM" hence they have a lesser power rating than an equivalent diesel.. SO if a diesel engine has more torque than a porsche boxter;It doesn't necessarily mean it performs more than a porsche
Reply 12
I drive petrol, but my dad has had diesel mondeos for the last few years and the fuel consumption is amazing.

He's now moved on to a diesel Jaguar X-type (latest model), which is supposed to have the same fuel consumption as the mondeo (as its the same engine)
Reply 13
My car takes unleaded not sure if thats the same as petrol.
My mum's car is diesel but she fills it with vegetable oil instead to save money.
Reply 14
TopShopper_girl
My mum's car is diesel but she fills it with vegetable oil instead to save money.

Does she declare that to the Government and pay tax, or do we need to report her for breaking the law? :p:
Reply 15
Petrol (and a lot of it unfortunately). Hopefully soon to be LPG converted.
Diesel is better new technology and no need for that biting point n s4it
Reply 17
nike_inc
Diesel is better new technology and no need for that biting point n s4it
Since the "biting Point" is when the clutch attaches the wheels of the car to an engine; you ALWAYS need a biting point to move forward.. You dont feel like you get the "biting point" in a diesel engine because it has alot of torque :p:

--------------

TopShopper_girl
yep Unleaded is petrol...
Reply 18
Petrol currently, my next cars gunna be leaded however, until I can offord a conversion.

out of interest can a leaded engine use LPG without hardened valve seats?
Reply 19
Eh?

LPG is gas, it'll be as complicated as making it compatable with unleaded.

Halfords do a good additive, my dad uses it on his car and it works fine, adds a bit of octane too

Latest

Trending

Trending