Turn on thread page Beta

diesel or petrol watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiralArchitect)
    Have you ever driven or been in a 130bhp VW passat or Skoda Fabia VRS? Some of the best diesel engines around. They shift too. The fabia for example has more torgue than a Porsche Boxter.
    Gotta tell ya, I haven't.
    But do have to tell you I regularly drove my mates 150bhp Anniversary Golf Diesel Engine! So it kind of easily levels it out.

I have no doubt that the diesel vRS is one great car. I admit it. But then thats for corageous people who like their diesels.
    And yes they do shift; a little. Lets be realistic, the only proper diesels that perform well are those by those created by BMW engineers.
    Also your statement about the fabia vRS having more torque than the Porsche Boxter? Does make me think you know very little about diesels. Of course it has! The Standard Boxter tiptronic is crap. Diesel engines naturally have more torque!

By your reckoning my brothers 120d with (i think) 260lb ft of torque could kill my 6. :rolleyes: Diesels unfortunately sound bad and always will and will never unfortunately be quite as good as the VX220 diesel that set records only a few months back.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, diesels will never sound good. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    Very posh for people on student room...

Anyway, BHP wins bar talk, torque wins races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Very posh for people on student room...

Anyway, BHP wins bar talk, torque wins races.
    not if you dont have the RPM to make it work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    not if you dont have the RPM to make it work
    Can't quite remember the last time a wheel turned without torque.

I say "wins races" - i don't actually mean races since to a point obviously it isn't true, a F1 car lacks torque but makes up for it in BHP at huge RPM. However, not many people have tried to drive F1 cars in traffic.

Real world performance of modern common rail injection engines (and PD engines) is usually better than the equivalent in the range, which for example maybe the 1.8 within a range. On a race track it will be different, but few people drive daily on a race track.

I am a diesel fan, until you can get a petrol with equivalent torque curve, fun factor of a turbo and MPG, I always will be.

The new VW 1.4 super&turbo charged engine (170BHP and decent MPG) is showing me that it will be possible in the future, just when. Sad that such a combination has always been overlooked bar a few examples.

(Original post by TopShopper_girl)
    My mum's car is diesel but she fills it with vegetable oil instead to save money.
    best way to do it: **** the government. just say you spilt some veggie oil and it fell in the diesel tank

ReputationRep:
    Torque is why I'm such a fan of American V8's. Big displacement gives gobs of torque. That’s what was so fantastic about my 5.0 Mustang. 292hp, 355lbft of torque AT THE WHEELS. No, I didn’t get 50mpg but the sounds that engine produced made up for the poor consumption for me. TDi’s are alright, it just doesn’t seem to have much top-end. I’m a huge fan of torque, just not a huge fan of diesels. That’s why I like V8’s.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.