Turn on thread page Beta

Suicide = Logical Decision? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how it is for others, but for me, the decision to kill myself has always been a logical thought process. I think about it everyday now, taking into account every single detail, from the possible afterlife, to trying to see if there's anything to live for.

Black
    This is probably the worst thing, I hate being black with a passion that is alien to my other friends (who are white), who can't understand my hatred, for myself and others. I wonder what It's like to be proud of your race...

Ugly
    Almost as bad, no one wants to be ugly. I can't honestly look myself in the mirror and think that people would find me attractive, I'd be lieing to myself. The notion of society where you work hard in school, get a good career and then settle down eventually and have a family, no, not going to happen. At best, I'll get an average career and live alone.

Socially Inept
    Few friends, no close friends, won't have any after I leave school. Elaborating, I have ADD and AvPD. These two together are really, really bad combinations. Add that to the first two points and you can see my dilemma.

Unintelligent
    I'm doing adequate in school, PREDICTED A*s in the three Sciences, A* in maths, but then it goes down to b's and c's for all my other subjects. That's only good compared to the people in school who don't try. Meanwhile, some other people in my year are on all A*s. When I say not doing well, I mean not doing good enough. Now matter how hard I try, I'm simply not as intelligent as "the next guy" and If nothing else, I hoped I'd try to achieve at least something in terms of career. I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer. Heh, we all know that's not going to happen.

Family
    I have little contact with my family. Now when most people say this, they still talk to them fairly regularly. It just doesn't happen for me. Besides that, I don't really like my family (as bad as that sounds). My dad is uninspiring, my sisters are doing OK and my brother is again, doing OK. None of my relatives are doing anything that I consider to be an achievement.

Nothing to look forward to
    I'm merely surviving. You know when people say "Live life to the fullest"? I'm not doing that and there isn't really a way for me to do that either. All the friends I wish I had, all the girls I wish I could get to know, not going to happen.

Ashamed of my background
    Now, this is where I'm going to offend people, but I'm not proud that I'm black. I mean, the most obvious thing to look at would be the fact that I'm living in the UK, instead of my homeland. Why is that? Is it because "white people invaded and took everything and we've been poor for a few hundred years?" No. It's because white people developed far before black people and countries with predominantly black people are still undeveloped. One thing I never hear black people mention is the fact that black people could have developed before white people. But enough of this.

Suicide Spot
    I've chosen Beachy Head. Look it up on google if you're interested. 530ft Tall IRC. I would chose the golden gate bridge If I was in America, but I'm not and besides that, Beachy Head cliff is much taller.

The Afterlife
    One of the deciding factors. It can't be ignored, people who would ignore this are well, confident to say the least . I'm an atheist, but to be honest, I don't think It would do much good to attempt to feign any kind of belief in a religion to attempt to get me into heaven. Besides that, there are hundreds of religions, who says I would pick the right one? I've decided that, to not kill myself because of religious worries would just be prolonging the inevitable.

When
    Depends. I can't decide to be honest. I don't know which day of the week, which month, which year to do it on.

Suicide Note
    There's too much I would have to say If I let a suicide note. I might just forgo it completely. I have no-one to blame but myself, my family would "go through the motions of grieving" and then one week later be fine about it.

I listen to music nowadays, all day, as soon as I get home from school. It helps me relax. (Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Rock ) There's nothing really going for me now, there won't be in ten years, so why shouldn't I kill myself? Half of you probably hate me for what I think about black people now anyway. I just don't see the point in living like this. None of the things that are wrong with me I can change, unlike other people who are suicidal. I'll never be white, never be attractive, never be able to be social and always be a loser. That's my last point actually. I'm a loser. I should have just said that at the beginning and saved you guys the TL;DR.
    I play games in all my spare time, have done since I was... eight I think. There's nothing else for me to do. I'm still **** at it, I've found that I'm **** at anything I try at. I don't feel particularly sad at the moment, the years have numbed the mental pain to the point where It's just normality.

Edit: Almost forgot the question: Why shouldn't I kill myself.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather die a loser or a legend? Would you liek to die knowing you pussied the **** out and gave up, or died knowing you tried your hardest to make something out of yourself rather than commiting suicide...

Don't.

Black
    This is probably the worst thing, I hate being black with a passion that is alien to my other friends (who are white), who can't understand my hatred, for myself and others. I wonder what It's like to be proud of your race...
    It's who you are. You can't change it, just learn to accept it. It's not about pride or self-hate, just acceptance of what you cannot change.

Ugly
    Almost as bad, no one wants to be ugly. I can't honestly look myself in the mirror and think that people would find me attractive, I'd be lieing to myself. The notion of society where you work hard in school, get a good career and then settle down eventually and have a family, no, not going to happen. At best, I'll get an average career and live alone.
    Lots of people aren't the most attractive, they get on fine. It's not all about looks. And looks can be improved to a degree. Again, you have to accept this is who you are. And no, you can't predict the future. So don't write yourself off as a loner with an average career.

Socially Inept
    Few friends, no close friends, won't have any after I leave school. Elaborating, I have ADD and AvPD. These two together are really, really bad combinations. Add that to the first two points and you can see my dilemma.
    You're still in school. You can't predict the future. There are hundreds, if not thousands of opportunities to make friends, people you will get along with, people who will understand you. You can become socially active, or you can slowly develop a personality which is socially compatible.

Unintelligent
    I'm doing adequate in school, PREDICTED A*s in the three Sciences, A* in maths, but then it goes down to b's and c's for all my other subjects. That's only good compared to the people in school who don't try. Meanwhile, some other people in my year are on all A*s. When I say not doing well, I mean not doing good enough. Now matter how hard I try, I'm simply not as intelligent as "the next guy" and If nothing else, I hoped I'd try to achieve at least something in terms of career. I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer. Heh, we all know that's not going to happen.
    Anything is possible. Good grades do not equate to high intelligence. Brian Cox got a D in Maths ffs.

Family
    I have little contact with my family. Now when most people say this, they still talk to them fairly regularly. It just doesn't happen for me. Besides that, I don't really like my family (as bad as that sounds). My dad is uninspiring, my sisters are doing OK and my brother is again, doing OK. None of my relatives are doing anything that I consider to be an achievement.
    People don't have any families, people have lost their father, their sister, their mother, their brothers ... everyone. But they still lead normal lives. Happy lives.

I'm merely surviving. You know when people say "Live life to the fullest"? I'm not doing that and there isn't really a way for me to do that either. All the friends I wish I had, all the girls I wish I could get to know, not going to happen.
    Nothing at the moment. You can't predict the future. things can turn around tomorrow, in a month or in a year.

Ashamed of my background
    Now, this is where I'm going to offend people, but I'm not proud that I'm black. I mean, the most obvious thing to look at would be the fact that I'm living in the UK, instead of my homeland. Why is that? Is it because "white people invaded and took everything and we've been poor for a few hundred years?" No. It's because white people developed far before black people and countries with predominantly black people are still undeveloped. One thing I never hear black people mention is the fact that black people could have developed before white people. But enough of this.
    Again. Irrelevant.

Suicide Spot
    I've chosen Beachy Head. Look it up on google if you're interested. 530ft Tall IRC. I would chose the golden gate bridge If I was in America, but I'm not and besides that, Beachy Head cliff is much taller.
    Fact: many suicidal people who are keen to die, as soon as they leap, instantly regret it.

The Afterlife
    One of the deciding factors. It can't be ignored, people who would ignore this are well, confident to say the least . I'm an atheist, but to be honest, I don't think It would do much good to attempt to feign any kind of belief in a religion to attempt to get me into heaven. Besides that, there are hundreds of religions, who says I would pick the right one? I've decided that, to not kill myself because of religious worries would just be prolonging the inevitable.
    Then why waste something whose end, in your opinion, is nothingness and meaningless. Why waste the journey?
    When
    Depends. I can't decide to be honest. I don't know which day of the week, which month, which year to do it on.
    Things can get better, you just don't know when. And if you do it, you'll never know if.

Suicide Note
    There's too much I would have to say If I let a suicide note. I might just forgo it completely. I have no-one to blame but myself, my family would "go through the motions of grieving" and then one week later be fine about it.
    Wrong. Completely wrong. Suicide can have a devastating effect on others. It can ruin their lives as they think about what they could have done to help, how they failed being a family member. It can have an effect on people you wouldn't think it would have an effect on.

I listen to music nowadays, all day, as soon as I get home from school. It helps me relax. (Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Rock ) There's nothing really going for me now, there won't be in ten years, so why shouldn't I kill myself? Half of you probably hate me for what I think about black people now anyway. I just don't see the point in living like this. None of the things that are wrong with me I can change, unlike other people who are suicidal. I'll never be white, never be attractive, never be able to be social and always be a loser. That's my last point actually. I'm a loser. I should have just said that at the beginning and saved you guys the TL;DR.
    I play games in all my spare time, have done since I was... eight I think. There's nothing else for me to do. I'm still **** at it, I've found that I'm **** at anything I try at. I don't feel particularly sad at the moment, the years have numbed the mental pain to the point where It's just normality.

Again predictability. You can't predict tomorrow, neither can you predict what your life is going to be like in 10 years. You're **** at things you've tried so far, just keep looking.

You shouldn't kill yourself because life has the potential to turn around. These factors you've listed, some of them are variables, they can change for the better. Why kill yourself and rid yourself of the opportunity of life? The many possibilities? You'll never know. Fair enough, life may get worse but it can also get better. You have decades ahead of you.

Suicide seems like the ideal solution when you are at the low point of your life, when nothing is working out. That does not mean, and never has meant, that it's never going to go uphill from there. Don't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't.

ReputationRep:
    Life may feel crap now but you're still young & not even really experiencing life yet.
    It's way too soon to die yet & life will get better.
    You can start afresh in a new place with new people, get involved

Life is what you make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extended Arpeggio)

What would you gain from it?

You can be alive and think that you're a 'loser' and are never going to achieve what you want. Alternatively, you could attempt to make something out of your life. There is no point speaking hypothetically about how your life will pan out in the future because there are so many variables, that it isn't worth thinking about.

Everyone goes through periods where they feel alone or depressed, it's just a chemical thing. Actually carrying it out would mean grief for those who know you, potential trauma for the person who finds your body and, quite frankly, a general waste of life.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't do this. No matter how bad things may seem, suicide is NEVER the answer. I sorta know how you feel as I'm the only black person in the whole of 6th form at my school but I learned that being different can be a big plus if you want it to be, but I won't go too much into race. As for your family, just because you don't talk to them too much, doesn't mean they don't love you. Your mother carried you for nine months-think about how she would feel if her baby died. You may not have friends now but you have yet to experience a lot of things. I dunno how old you are but Uni, I'm sure, will be a whole new start-another thing you won't experience if you kill yourself. Please don't. You haven't even lived your life yet. If you ever wanna talk just pm me

ReputationRep:
    Don't. You have so much to live for- it seems bleak right now but once you start exploring different paths in the future/past the education stage it gets more worthwhile. When I was at school I can't even explain the number of times suicidal thoughts crossed my mind. I hated it and everything in my life seemed so pre-determined but I couldn't face the idea of me not making the most of this one opportunity at life. I want to know my potential and I want to influence others and you definitely have the chance too. Life isn't just about looks, getting married, etc. It's also about making an impact on the world in whatever shape or form-- please don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    You have no respect for yourself, sad.

ReputationRep:
    Because you can't sit around waiting for a purpose to find you, you have to go find what your supposed to do. You don't have to be a model student either. Why don't you volunteer somewhere, tutor someone in a subject you are good at, try and find people who feel like you and get support, get a hobby and a talent. Just try small goals and find out who you are and what you want from life because thats something you have to work out. What if in the future you find Miss Right and have a child? What if you end up discovering you have a real talent that you can pass to others? You won't know till you try things and stick them out to the end. If somethings a bad idea, start again with something else. Along the way you will meet people and find friends. You are not the only person out there that feels like you do.

ReputationRep:
    OP, please take it from me that while you may feel this way at the moment in time it can and most likely will change. I've experienced some really awful times in my life where suicide seemed like the best idea, but with hindsight I'm so thankful my family didn't allow that to happen because I now see I have so much to live for.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    because you don't know what the future holds.

There is more to life than good grades/good job. Why not have a job you love an have a passion for?
    just because you don't deem yourself attractive/social ept. You can at least improve your ability to interact socially - it'll be tough, but it will change your outlook.

and you forget that your very existence has the potential to impact people in a very positive way - why don't you go and work with the poorest of the poor in black countries, help them build better lives for themselves? THAT is something to be proud of.

No wonder you think you're coming up short, you've only looked at a small minority of potential future outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    You've got one thing about yourself, at the very least, that is strong and admirable: you haven't taken the coward's way out and killed yourself.
    So you're ugly and "unlikable" and "unintelligent" - well, you have strength to push through it all. Looks, by the way, are irrelevant. Not only is it tremendously easier for a male to become popular and beloved with "ugly" looks, but even females have gotten along famously well with less-than-beautiful faces. Take Cleopatra; she was notoriously plain and yet she bewitched the most powerful men of the era.
    You ARE worth it! Even if no one else thinks so (which, obviously, plenty of people think so), you think so and screw what anybody else says about that. You are awesome - look, you're dissatisfied with your performance thus far, right? That's because you know you're capable of more and you are NOT a loser. Stay with us, mate, we want you here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extended Arpeggio)
    I don't know how it is for others, but for me, the decision to kill myself has always been a logical thought process. I think about it everyday now, taking into account every single detail, from the possible afterlife, to trying to see if there's anything to live for.

Black

Ugly

Socially Inept

Unintelligent

Family

Ashamed of my background

Suicide Spot

The Afterlife

When

Suicide Note

Well, I think black men have gotten over themselves, see all the gansta rappers ****ing dem hawt white *****es? and one of you is da presidente of da hood, (ie the white house)

you might have a point if you're a black woman, though.

The rest of your post is pretty typical of anyone who wants to kill themselves. And many do for just that.

ReputationRep:
    If you're into music loads, why not have a go at trying to produce? Could be that you're actually a bit creative. Get hold of Reason or something and try producing, could be something you're good at.

You're in school too, predicted A*'s for a few things and B's and C's? That's not exactly bad. Your life isn't ****ed if you don't ace every exam, regardless of what people tell you. There's more to life than grades.

The world opens up a lot more once you leave school, even more-so once you're out of your teenage years. **** changes, your feelings might stay the same or get worse, on the other hand though they might get better.

Stick at it, experiment with things (whether it be you moving away and starting fresh once you're out of school and got some coin behind you, trying out other things that might interest you or going on a drug fuelled binge). Try and see what makes you happy and veer off into doing more of that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    If you really were feeling suicidal, you wouldn't be talking 'logically'about it. Those who are truly suicidal are the ones who tend to hide it. You wouldn't be any happier if you changed the colour of your skin - colour has nothing to do with feelings of self-loathing. It's low self-esteem that does it - and that's someting you can change. Marilyn Monroe was suicidal too, but she wasn't black, ugly or insignificant. She just felt ugly - because she gave up on herself. It's your attitude that needs changing. As the song goes... 'the greatest love of all is easy to achieve: learning to love yourself... is the greatest love of all.' When you are content with who you are, others will start liking you too. That's the key to being 'attractive' - it comes from within.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    The future, whatever it holds, is still a future. Committing suicide won't make you feel better because you won't be around to feel it. Please think about this.

The only thing left of you when you die will be memories. Why not have a go at life and leave some more memories behind?

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Fact: many suicidal people who are keen to die, as soon as they leap, instantly regret it.
    Hoe can anyone know this?

(Original post by notnek)
    Hoe can anyone know this?
    Failed attempts.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people who attempt suicide are glad they survived after a few years. So now you have a logical reason not to commit suicide. You are more than welcome to message me if you want to talk, I am already trying to talk one mate out of suicide, might as well make it two.

ReputationRep:
    Let me put it this way: if you're dead, you can't change a damn thing. If your alive, no matter how ****ty life may seem, at least you're able to do something about it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.