Turn on thread page Beta

Okay so I'm in my last year of college and will be going to uni in September. I've never slept with anyone, I guess because I've never really met anyone who lasted long enough for me to feel comforable to have sex with them, my longest relationship being 3 months (I get bored easily:rolleyes:)

At University, is virginity sort of looked down on and do guys prefer girls with more experience or does it not matter if a girl is a virgin? I'd really like some guys opinions here but girls comment too!
    I'm going away with my friends in summer and it would be easy to have a one night stand, should I just get it out of the way or wait until I meet someone properly?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I'm in my last year of college and will be going to uni in September. I've never slept with anyone, I guess because I've never really met anyone who lasted long enough for me to feel comforable to have sex with them, my longest relationship being 3 months (I get bored easily:rolleyes:)

At University, is virginity sort of looked down on and do guys prefer girls with more experience or does it not matter if a girl is a virgin? I'd really like some guys opinions here but girls comment too!
    I'm going away with my friends in summer and it would be easy to have a one night stand, should I just get it out of the way or wait until I meet someone properly?

Thanks guys

You really should wait to do it with someone you like. I recently had a conversation with my flat mates on this subject and ALL of them wished they'd waited until they felt were in a stable relationship.

25% of people who go to university are still virgins, so you shouldn't feel pressured to lose it to some randomer before hand

Plus, you aren't really gaining anything by having a one night stand with a complete stranger. Your first time isn't particularly enjoyable (especially if you're a woman) nor will it give you any worth while experience when it comes to having sex the next time around.

My advice would be to wait until you arrive at university, then you have two options. A) Have plenty of casual sex during freshers week (alot of people do this). or B) wait until you meet a man that cares about you

I know which option I'd pick too

If u need a chat, PM me

Oliver.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people at Uni are still virgins, no one will look down on it.
    And ideally you do want to lose it with someone you feel comfortable with as it will probably be a better experience that way in every regard. I'm sure you will meet someone suitable.

I'm at Uni, albeit in London and live at home, but I waited 6 months wiith my present girlfriend to lose my virginity and lost it when I was 20. I don't even consider myself to be bad looking, I just knew that it was never the right time with the right girl. Settle down, don't pressurise yourself into it, and you'll do it when you're ready

ReputationRep:

Thanks guys
    There's a good article here about it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if your a virgin or not , its down to choice.

Wait until it happens for the right reason then you will be happy about it and not regret it.

Most of my friends who aren't virgins said they wish they were still virgins

Theres no rush or reason to lose it by a certain age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo_01)
    It doesn't matter if your a virgin or not , its down to choice.

Wait until it happens for the right reason then you will be happy about it and not regret it.

Most of my friends who aren't virgins said they wish they were still virgins

Theres no rush or reason to lose it by a certain age.
    wut. seriously? i've never heard anyone say this ever, ever, ever.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah like sex is super awesome. Naked people on/under you ftw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Exactly this!!!
    A lot of people here say that they know A, B, C or D that wished they were still virgins. Fact is: never in my entire life have I heard someone say this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontthinkso)
    Exactly this!!!
    A lot of people here say that they know A, B, C or D that wished they were still virgins. Fact is: never in my entire life have I heard someone say this!
    it's probably born-again christians, or people who had sex once and contracted HIV/got pregnant. other than for those reasons, why would anyone want to be a virgin again? my mind=blown

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I've never heard anyone say they wish they were virgins either but I have heard people say they wish they had lost it under better circumstances, ideally. As in not on a ONS. In the interests of balance, I also know a couple of people who did lose it that way and don't regret it, so, clearly, this is something which is different for everyone and no one on the internet can tell you what's right for you specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    yeah thats what they said

I'm going away with my friends in summer and it would be easy to have a one night stand, should I just get it out of the way or wait until I meet someone properly?Thanks guys
    hate to sound like the devil on your shoulder, but i lost my virginity as a one night stand and don't regret it at all. it was just what sex should be - passionate, exciting, intimate (and most importantly safe haha) - i only cared about finding him sexually attactive. but each to their own, everyone has different ideas and as long as you do what makes you happy it really doesn't matter

ReputationRep:

Thanks guys
    You definitely aren't looked down upon; being a virgin is not an uncommon thing. I hadn't had sex before going to uni as I just never met the right guy (whatever that is) before going to uni. But just a few months later, when I went to university, I met a really amazing guy who I feel incredibly comfortable with; he couldn't have cared less about what I had or hadn't done.

To be honest, losing your virginity is not a life changing experience; its not the big deal that it is sometimes made out to be.

LOADS of my friends at uni are virgins, and I am too. I've just got together with my boyfriend (also at my uni) and he's a virgin too. I'm 19 and he's about to turn 19. We're both very glad neither of us have had sex before, coz it'll be well special and that Please don't go and have a one night stand just to get it out the way. I promise that being a virgin is NOT a big deal at uni at ALL.

ReputationRep:
    IMO it's best to do it with someone you really like at first cos it freaking hurts, and it's quite embarrassing getting hurt in a ONS. Believe me!

ReputationRep:
    If you were in a relationship for 3 months and didn't think you were comfortable enough to have sex, what makes you think you'll be happy after a one night stand? I say wait till uni. And no, virginity is not looked down upon...

I went to university as a virgin and had same concerns and situation as you really, debated the whole 'shall I just get it over with' with a one night stand but decided to wait. So glad I did! Ended up loosing it with a boyfriend who I really cared about.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would virginity be looked down upon? It's university not a brothel!

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone look down on you! I'm a virgin and I'm going to go to uni this year. I don't go round telling everyone that I'm a virgin, but my best friends know. I'd prefer to be a virgin than someone who's slept with loads of guys. I want my first time to be with someone special

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.