The Student Room Group

30 days till Oxford - questions about attire and accommodation

Hello Everyone,

I'll be starting at Oxford this April and am anxiously watching the countdown clock on the Virgin Atlantic website.

I'll be staying at New College. Are the rooms there ensuite? Is it walk-able from the Gloucester green bus station(I'll be traveling with luggage)?

With regards to attire: what do people wear around college, to their tutorials and lectures?

At my undergraduate institution the uniform was pastel polo shirts, khakhi shorts and flip-flops. However, in the sole law class that I took, everyone dressed business casual. Are there expectations to wear business casual attire to tutorials and lectures?

Finally, for international students - how many suitcases did you bring? I'm currently looking at two large check-in bags and a carryon.

Thanks!

Californian
Reply 1
I can't answer the questions about graduate new college rooms. Is there no information available on the website?

The walk from gloucester green is not too far and the directions are very simple to New! Maybe a fifteen minute walk with cases? I don't know how manageable that is.

There is no uniform expectation. Trakkies and a hoodie is acceptable if you're comfortable, although graduates tend to be a bit smarter purely because they are older and tend to grow out of wearing such things! 'Business casual' is definitely not required! Having said that, when my tutorials changed this year to being with new people every time i did make an effort to be a touch smarter simply because i was meeting someone senior for the first time (i.e. jeans and a shirt rather than jeans and a t-shirt!).

Internationals tend to not transport that much stuff but rely heavily on international storage facilities at college (i presume all colleges have these).
if you're in the weston buildings i don't think you get en suite but you're not sharing with many people. also they are really really nice. so if you're there you've lucked out regardless of bathroom situation.

clothes to tutes/lectures/etc doesn't matter. i think i got even more casual as a grad actually. flipflops/trackies/tshirt is fine.
Reply 3
Great - thank you for the information. I also understand that I have to buy academic attire for the matriculation ceremony in June - should I wait until I arrive to do that?

Also, are there any good gyms in town?(I didn't really have a chance to walk around at all when I visited for interviews in December).
New college has a subscription to the Iffley Road gym, so it's free if you bring your university card along- definitely the one to go for.
Reply 5
Original post by Athena
...you might want to pick up the dark suit (most people wear black, occasionally someone wears navy or brown - sub fusc just means dark/sober)...

Aw, I had been really looking forward to Californian's matriculation. Now you've gone and spoiled it by completely contradicting my earlier advice to him:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29367815&postcount=603
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
How do you prefer getting to Oxford from Heathrow? Direct by Bus to train to paddington and then another train to Oxford?
Original post by Californian
How do you prefer getting to Oxford from Heathrow? Direct by Bus to train to paddington and then another train to Oxford?

Personally, I'd pick the coach, because I don't like having to change if I have luggage. And even if you avoid London (by going Heathrow to Hayes and then to Oxford) I'd think that the bus is likely to be the same price or cheaper, and probably take about the same time too unless it is rush hour. Also, the train station is further away from New College than Gloucester Green.

The only thing is, you'd need to check the luggage allowance on the coach.
Reply 8
Original post by Festina lente
Personally, I'd pick the coach, because I don't like having to change if I have luggage. And even if you avoid London (by going Heathrow to Hayes and then to Oxford) I'd think that the bus is likely to be the same price or cheaper, and probably take about the same time too unless it is rush hour. Also, the train station is further away from New College than Gloucester Green.

Wouldn't High Street be a lot closer to New College, though?
The only thing is, you'd need to check the luggage allowance on the coach.

http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=26
Up to two suitcases of 20kg each, plus hand luggage. That's more than you'll normally be allowed on a plane, so unless he's planning on travelling with large amounts of excess luggage, there should be no problem there... And even then it'll probably be OK - the worst thing that can happen is that there's not enough storage space left and the driver tells him to wait for the next coach.
yeah definitely the oxford bus company route. it is so easy.
Original post by hobnob
Wouldn't High Street be a lot closer to New College, though?

I forgot it stopped there - I've only taken it once, and I was asleep most of the journey :s-smilie:

But yes, OP, ask the driver to drop you off on the High.
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime

The walk from gloucester green is not too far and the directions are very simple to New! Maybe a fifteen minute walk with cases? I don't know how manageable that is.

:smile: I remember getting completely and utterly lost the first time I sat foot in Oxford. :smile: I ended up walking into a cemetery after getting off the coach at Gloucester Green. That was an interesting experience...especially at midnight.. xD.

I believe you will find your way once you find Holywell Street. Later I realised I was actually walking around New but couldn't find the main entrance. But don't despair :smile: Just look for the door that is wide open with a sign near the front and walk right in.
Bring a map :smile: If you get seriously lost (like I did) ask around! The locals are always so friendly and helpful. If you see another college with its door wide open, just walk in and ask the porters.(I mistakened Hertford for New) They will be happy to direct you in the right path.
It took me 30 minutes to get from St John's to New. But that was only because I took so many wrong turns.
:smile: Good luck Californian!
Reply 12
Original post by CZephyr
:smile: I remember getting completely and utterly lost the first time I sat foot in Oxford. :smile: I ended up walking into a cemetery after getting off the coach at Gloucester Green. That was an interesting experience...especially at midnight.. xD.

I believe you will find your way once you find Holywell Street. Later I realised I was actually walking around New but couldn't find the main entrance. But don't despair :smile: Just look for the door that is wide open with a sign near the front and walk right in.
Bring a map :smile: If you get seriously lost (like I did) ask around! The locals are always so friendly and helpful. If you see another college with its door wide open, just walk in and ask the porters.(I mistakened Hertford for New) They will be happy to direct you in the right path.
It took me 30 minutes to get from St John's to New. But that was only because I took so many wrong turns.

lol - got lost on the dead straight walk from gloucester green to New? :tongue: ha no i'm not exactly one to laugh, looking at past experience....

Looking it up on a map is definitely a must! Google Street View ftw :yes:
Reply 13
Original post by CZephyr

Thank you!!!

I will be navigating via iphone once I get there. However, I'll be traveling with 2 large suitcases, a carryon bag, and a backpack(I know it sounds like a lot, but I'm also packing for Russia and China trips and winter clothing) so I may just give up and decide to take a taxi, it can't be more than 20 pounds.

Thanks again for all the wonderfully helpful bits of advice, I'm very excited to start and just got my reading list.
Reply 14
Original post by Californian
Thank you!!!

I will be navigating via iphone once I get there. However, I'll be traveling with 2 large suitcases, a carryon bag, and a backpack(I know it sounds like a lot, but I'm also packing for Russia and China trips and winter clothing) so I may just give up and decide to take a taxi, it can't be more than 20 pounds.

Thanks again for all the wonderfully helpful bits of advice, I'm very excited to start and just got my reading list.

For twenty quid you could get a party of cash strapped postgrads to carry it all on their heads for you, like Tuareg water bearers :smile:

Appropriate dress for tutorials.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending