Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have two offers at the moment. The first is in investment banking and the other is for a big four audit firm. My friends and family think i am crazy but I am considering taking the audit job. I think i will enjoy it more and do not want to work 12 hours every single day. Also, the people at the big four firm were a lot friendlier than at the IB, in my experience.

Everyone though is telling me to go for IB as it will pay well over double the money.

I just wondered what other people thought of this. Would you be able to turn down an IB offer for an audit position?

ReputationRep:
    Do what you think is best and decide where you will be most happy, money isnt everything if you hate your job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    Do what you think is best and decide where you will be most happy, money isnt everything if you hate your job
    It so totally is everything...

Here comes the neg.

ReputationRep:
    might help if you told us which IB and which of the big 4 we're talking..

..generally I'd go with job prospects (inc. remuneration) and, if necessary, just **** the job off if I couldn't hack it and revert back to Plan B (because life's too short)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    might help if you told us which IB and which of the big 4 we're talking..
    Yeah, I should have added that - Deutsche Bank and Deloitte.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchestergraduate)
    Yeah, I should have added that - Deutsche Bank and Deloitte.
    fo investment banking? or a diff department?

I just don't see how you would apply for audit and IBD considering they are nothing alike and very different! But I'm a slave to logic to be fair why not tas in a big four? or consulting even. I just heard alot of bad comments regarding audit thats its sometihng I wouldn't like for mysefl! But each to their own.

In short - i agree with your second thoughts! you should live the life you want! what good is money if u work all the time! but mo/bo i do like to believe are capable of living normalish lives too IBD-ers - yeah they are screwed!

ReputationRep:
    go for the cash.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have two offers at the moment. The first is in investment banking and the other is for a big four audit firm. My friends and family think i am crazy but I am considering taking the audit job. I think i will enjoy it more and do not want to work 12 hours every single day. Also, the people at the big four firm were a lot friendlier than at the IB, in my experience.

Everyone though is telling me to go for IB as it will pay well over double the money.

I just wondered what other people thought of this. Would you be able to turn down an IB offer for an audit position?

Depends on what you want from life. Money isn't everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorchii)
    fo investment banking? or a diff department?

I just don't see how you would apply for audit and IBD considering they are nothing alike and very different! But I'm a slave to logic to be fair why not tas in a big four? or consulting even. I just heard alot of bad comments regarding audit thats its sometihng I wouldn't like for mysefl! But each to their own.

In short - i agree with your second thoughts! you should live the life you want! what good is money if u work all the time! but mo/bo i do like to believe are capable of living normalish lives too IBD-ers - yeah they are screwed!
    I applied for all sorts! Cheers for your response. I am about 99% sure i will go for the place I feel most comfortable and would most like to work at. That will be Deloitte. The money is the only thing that really attracts me to IB and I don't believe that is the right reason to go for it. I'll just be an accountant and win the EuroMillions instead!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for all sorts! Cheers for your response. I am about 99% sure i will go for the place I feel most comfortable and would most like to work at. That will be Deloitte. The money is the only thing that really attracts me to IB and I don't believe that is the right reason to go for it. I'll just be an accountant and win the EuroMillions instead!
    you're one in a million kid - so maybe you will win the lottery! I'm hoping you can have both! time management and being efficient but I'll see! best of luck with aca's

ReputationRep:
    Why not take IB for 2 years and see if you can hack it - and move on to something else after that if you don't enjoy it?

Money isn't everything in life - but IB would be good exp for your CV and allow you to buy a deposit for a property quickly.

Deloitte is 2nd tier at best.

ReputationRep:

A) Big 4 - http://edsphotoblog.com/wp-content/p...dow_onseat.jpg

B) Banking - http://www.binbin.net/photos/generic...lly-thrill.jpg

ReputationRep:
    yeah, because an entry level position at an invesment bank means he's going to own a lamborghini.

OP you should go for what you feel will be a better match for you, or you run the risk of making a very ill-advised decision.

Jamie Dimon turned down offers from GS and MS to be an assistant at AmEx...js

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    yeah, because an entry level position at an invesment bank means he's going to own a lamborghini.

OP you should go for what you feel will be a better match for you, or you run the risk of making a very ill-advised decision.

Jamie Dimon turned down offers from GS and MS to be an assistant at AmEx...js
    In fairness he was given a very senior position at AmEx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    RESPECT!!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I should have added that - Deutsche Bank and Deloitte
    Well, personally I wouldn't ditch a top tier IB for any professional services firm, and especially not having done little more than dip my toe in the water, unless you're literally convinced that IB work/lifestyle is contrary to your needs - at least if you burn your bridges with Deloitte you still have options with les autres..

..you could always suggest to Deloitte recruitment that you are interested/had a great time with them, and are keen to take them upon their offer but that you're going to take some time out to 'travel' in the meantime

ReputationRep:
    Take Deloitte. I'm sorry to sound mean, but you don't seem ambitious or driven enough to survive in investment banking. Audit is more stable and less cutthroat, you should stick with that.

The Jamie Dimon comparison isn't accurate. JD was looking at which position offered the most potential in the long run > money. OP is looking for comfort > money.

ReputationRep:
    Takes big balls if you do it, but kudos.

Things to consider: graduate recruitment team != team you'll be working in.

I'd do some more research, pronto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodarte)
    Take Deloitte. I'm sorry to sound mean, but you don't seem ambitious or driven enough to survive in investment banking. Audit is more stable and less cutthroat, you should stick with that.

The Jamie Dimon comparison isn't accurate. JD was looking at which position offered the most potential in the long run > money. OP is looking for comfort > money.
    source?

I actually think the comparison is fair, the OP stated that the amount of fun he would have at an IB concerned him. From what I've read this was the same rationale that helped JD decide against working at an IB when he graduated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rodarte)

Yeah, I think it takes a certain type of person to survive in IB, you have to really want it. It just isn't right for me. I turned them down today and I am very happy!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.