Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchestergraduate)
    Yeah, I think it takes a certain type of person to survive in IB, you have to really want it. It just isn't right for me. I turned them down today and I am very happy!
    What was the role?

ReputationRep:
    It actually takes all types of people, but that's neither here nor there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    It actually takes all types of people, but that's neither here nor there.
    Are you thinking of going into IB?

ReputationRep:
    Are you thinking of going into IB?
    Yeah, primarily as a stepping stone into VC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Yeah, primarily as a stepping stone into VC.
    Good luck to you then (this is meant sincerely but it is hard to bring that across on the internet!). Nice ambitious career plan there. Good luck with any interviews/AC's you have coming up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it takes a certain type of person to survive in IB, you have to really want it. It just isn't right for me. I turned them down today and I am very happy!
    You starting at Deloitte in the summer, in London?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you then (this is meant sincerely but it is hard to bring that across on the internet!). Nice ambitious career plan there. Good luck with any interviews/AC's you have coming up.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Good choice, good on you man. You did not let money drag you into IB, well done. If you think/thought that you'd be happier doing audit at a Big4 rather than working at an IB it was the right choice to make.

And ignore comments from ppl who think you're not driven/smart enough for IB; some people just don't get that IB is not for everybody, which is totally ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welfarebanker)
    Good choice, good on you man. You did not let money drag you into IB, well done. If you think/thought that you'd be happier doing audit at a Big4 rather than working at an IB it was the right choice to make.

And ignore comments from ppl who think you're not driven/smart enough for IB; some people just don't get that IB is not for everybody, which is totally ok.
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilios_Lampros)
    Why not take IB for 2 years and see if you can hack it - and move on to something else after that if you don't enjoy it?

Money isn't everything in life - but IB would be good exp for your CV and allow you to buy a deposit for a property quickly.

Deloitte is 2nd tier at best.
    i don't think Deloitte is a second tier audit firm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    i don't think Deloitte is a second tier audit firm...
    You are right. It is (arguably) the best!

ReputationRep:
    You are right. It is (arguably) the best!
    Hey, a very big well done for even being considered and given a job to from the IB and the others.

I am hoping to head toward the same career path as you, so i am just curious & want to know how you have worked your way up to even succeeding to this stage. I have heard that to get into IB or even the big four, it is unbelievably competitive & sumtyms it really scares me as I just don't want to hope for something i might not be able to achieve.

I would appreciate if you could enlighten me more on maybe your qualifications, work experience e.t.c

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    Hey, a very big well done for even being considered and given a job to from the IB and the others.

I am hoping to head toward the same career path as you, so i am just curious & want to know how you have worked your way up to even succeeding to this stage. I have heard that to get into IB or even the big four, it is unbelievably competitive & sumtyms it really scares me as I just don't want to hope for something i might not be able to achieve.

I would appreciate if you could enlighten me more on maybe your qualifications, work experience e.t.c

Thank you
    I'll Pm you as i don't really want to put personal stuff on here. I prefer being anonymous!

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the Deloitte offer over the DB BO offer. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welfarebanker)
    I hope you realise your statement is self-contradictory

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. You still don't get the point? It tries to tell you that there are very, very smart people who work outside the IB industry, because they enjoy something else more.

It's always funny to see how students trying to get into IB think that everybody who works somewhere else is not smart/driven/curious enough for it. Many people in the industry actually realise that they probably are not the smartest ones on this planet.

ReputationRep:
    how did this get likes! I don't know what im saying!

ReputationRep:
    No - I wasn't referring to the fact that there are brilliant people who want to do something else with their lives, or that there are a million other interesting things to do. But I wouldn't belittle the industry or the people working in it. You need to be very driven and street smart if you want to work in IB. Also, just because there are some brilliant people who choose not to go into IB, does not mean that everyone who chooses not to go into it are by default brilliant too.

But that was not what I meant when I called you self-contradictory. My point was a bit more pedantic - if I thought IB was for everybody, then how could OP not be driven/smart enough? (Because there would be no such thing as not enough!) In fact I agree completely that IB is not for everybody, hence my previous point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny)
    You turned down IB for the big four?! Why??? I mean how can you go for the application process for IB, get an offer and then turn it down. This will be one of the worst decisions of your life. The starting salary is great and IB is what all business graduates aspire to. Audit is for people who couldn't get into IB. You will regret this! If i were you, change your mind and choose Deutsche!
    You're going to be very popular on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny)
    You turned down IB for the big four?! Why??? I mean how can you go for the application process for IB, get an offer and then turn it down. This will be one of the worst decisions of your life. The starting salary is great and IB is what all business graduates aspire to. Audit is for people who couldn't get into IB. You will regret this! If i were you, change your mind and choose Deutsche!
    I think someone just wants an angry reaction... Nice try!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.