Turn on thread page Beta

Turning down IB for big four watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchestergraduate)
    Right, I have two offers at the moment. The first is in investment banking and the other is for a big four audit firm. My friends and family think i am crazy but I am considering taking the audit job. I think i will enjoy it more and do not want to work 12 hours every single day. Also, the people at the big four firm were a lot friendlier than at the IB, in my experience.

Everyone though is telling me to go for IB as it will pay well over double the money.

I just wondered what other people thought of this. Would you be able to turn down an IB offer for an audit position?
    I'm gonna assume you're not that old. Like... under 25? Under 30? Whatever. The point is that you have the energy and time available to slave for.. who knows? 5 years? Earn a load of money, then quit. You'll have cash, work experience, and you'll still be young enough to enjoy it. Then do something you like. Some people our age are stuck flipping burgers for decades.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rex.t.zephron)
    Professional Qualification vs. No professional qualification.

Job security
    You only need job security if you're **** at your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pendulum)
    what a ridiculous statement. well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    what a ridiculous statement. well done.
    I'm sorry, I forgot I was in the IB&C forum and that you the A level student knows everything about life and work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pendulum)
    There you go OP - do you want to work with people like this?

There is a reason why the big four hold the top spots... http://www.top100graduateemployers.com/employers/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rex.t.zephron)
    There you go OP - do you want to work with people like this?

There is a reason why the big four hold the top spots... http://www.top100graduateemployers.com/employers/

which is what exactly? they are also the companies that hire the most graduates and as such can potentially have a stronger presence on these things due to more people voting them in. I'd say when push comes to shove, a lot of companies in specific industries are the same...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.