Turn on thread page Beta

whats the key to a good relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LALA LAND)
    trust, honesty, integrity
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    For me it has to be similar levels of intelligence (which creates respect as a result). If you don't respect your partner intellectually then there's really weak foundations in my experience.

(And by intelligence I don't mean how many A*'s you got haha)

ReputationRep:
    trust, respect, good chemistry, communication, understanding, affection, making time for each other, etc..

To be honest it depends on the people in the relationship. Some people might find the good key to their relationship is having time with each other, and plenty of time away from each other too. Others might think the key is putting a lot of effort in and communicating all the time. Others might think the key is doing spontaneous things from time to time. There are so many different ways, it just depends on the what the people in a certain relationship want/need.

ReputationRep:
    For me.. trust, love, enjoying their company, always being able to have a good time together, common interests!

Luckily for me I have all those!

ReputationRep:
    trust and the ability to argue without breaking up!

ReputationRep:
    the KEY is... finding someone who hold the key to your heart! :love:

god im such a soppy git! lol

haha aka someone who loves you for you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotPon)
    come on then. spill.

what do we think is key to a good relationship..

personally, i think spending the correct amount of time together is PARAMOUNT!

whether it be every day (no way) or just 2, 3 times a week (keep em' keen)...

i also think great sex is important, probably more so than the time thing...

OPINIONS PLEASE, EARTHLINGS
    While I will grant you that I’ve personally never spent as much time as two or three days a week with a FB or FWB, I don’t see that as sufficient time to spend with someone that you consider yourself to be in a ‘real relationship’ with. If you feel the need to spend four to five days a week with others why bother calling it a relationship. Just call it what it is, an exclusive FWB.

As far as the key to a good relationship, imo there is no one key thing as there are many things that contribute to a good relationship. While obviously some are more critical than others, here’s a list of some of the things that I consider important.

1. Best friends
    2. Share the same religious views
    3. Share the same political views.
    4. Total trust (OK maybe just >99%)
    5. Both are intellectually on the same level.
    6. Both have respect for their partner.
    7. Both want to spend as much time as possible together.
    8. Sexually compatible.
    9. Both share common goals in life and the work ethic to achieve them. (Family, financial stability, etc.)
    10. Both parties have the ability to overlook their partners’ minor faults.

ReputationRep:
    Happyness, feeling happy whenever you think about the relationship

ReputationRep:
    Being able to take constructive criticism, and recognising that neither you nor your partner are perfect and part of your role is to help build the other one up in confidence and morality.

ReputationRep:
    The key to a good relationship is trust and being able to talk to the person your with and being able to be yourself without those things your relationship can not be healthy

ReputationRep:
    Spend high quality time with each other. No time? MAKE TIME.

The usual trust, loyalty and respect.

Give and take.... be willing to close-one eye on mistakes....read : forgiveness (though my wife says you should also have a pair of eyes behind your head)

Compatibility in personalities.... best if you both can complement each other.

Sense of humour.

A sound understanding on economics, finance and monetary issues.

Understand the concept of we and ours and forget the I and me.

A good sex life....... good doesn't mean by how long or how often.... compatibility is important... if she is into wanting it everyday and he isn't then that's an incompatibility..... if he is well-endowed and she doesn't like it.... it isn't ever going to be enjoyable.

Love.......... love her for all she is and not just the qualities that attracts you.

Actually a lot of relationships are all about common sense....... sadly books don't teach this to most people

Oh yeah... before you think a relationship can be perfect.... it's never going to be as everyone has their faults and imperfection.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.