Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MSc Investment Management/Banking & Int. Fin from Cass vs MSc Psychology from LSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Which MSc is better to break into the Investment Banking industry:
    -MSc Investment Management/Banking and International Finance from CASS
    or MSc Organisational and Social Psychology from LSE
    ?

I cannot get into this industry the normal way and am aiming for a BB MO or BO role.
    I have 8A*s 2 As at GCSE, ABB at A-Level and 2:1 in Biomedicine from University of Liverpool. I have 5 months worth of postgraduate work experience as an Account Executive in a pharmaceutical advertising agency in Mayfair, but have no experience related to Investment Banking at all. I have been applying for internships and BO roles but getting rejected. I figured doing an MSc is my best bet so I can (a) gain networking opportunities (b) and either get a brand name on my CV (i.e. LSE) or gain relevant financial knowlege (i.e. CASS)

Which would be better for my situation, doing a finance-related MSc at Cass or doing a non-related MSc at LSE? Really I think I need a brand name, proven financial knowledge and networking opps. but will have to sacrifice one of these depending on whether I pick CASS or LSE

what would you do?

Also, honestly I would prefer to get in via networking but don't know how to do it without going back to uni to do an MSc. I am unemployed at the moment and am living in an Emmerdale-like village far away from the City. I can't find anything in Google about how to IB network in this country. Does anyone know how you do it without being at uni? thnx

ReputationRep:
    There are always ways to network with people outside university. One good way is to join LSE public events and there are many other events open to public where you can interact with important people from IB industry. I once met an investment banker at a conference where they were discussing intellectual property rights. Networking, sure there is plenty of opportunity. One additional thing that you might have already considered is getting your application reviewed from someone in the industry could be your friends, mentors and sometimes teachers at university.

Regarding your choice for M.Sc. all i can say is that it depends on your interests. If you are least interested in Organisational and Social Psychology, you will probably go through a terrible period of time at LSE with no apparent guarantee that you will make into IB industry anyway. If I had similar interests as yours, I would have chosen a relevant education over brand. I wish you all the best!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.