Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    - -

ReputationRep:
    I have no adivce to give for the interview as I am a useless cretin. However I would like to say congratulations on getting an interview and good luck. I'm sure everything will go well

ReputationRep:
    The station is a few minutes walk from the centre of town near the viaduct and not too far away from Hild Bede I wouldn't have though. Taxi's and buses availiable and most of the drivers know the way to colleges and there not expensive.

On the interview itself I would say that most if not all Durham interviews are to actually encourage you to accept the place that they've already decided they want to offer you. It could perhaps be a little different for education though, have you been called for interviews at any other place? Obviously be prepared to talk about why you want to study education(teacher?) and why history with that would make a great combination for you and what you can bring to the course. Since Education is demanding I guess they also want to know you're committed. A friend last year who applied for teacher training courses at other universities was given certain "role plays" of class activities and problems etc and asked how she would respond to each of them, obviously without loosing her temper too much. Sorry I can't be that much help, congratulations and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Outside of oxbridge, when a uni says interview they really mean 'let us sell our university to you'.

The guy that did my durham interview told me that there was nothing short of pulling a knife on your interviewer to stop you getting an offer

So congratulations, and if you need any directions from the train station ect... i practically live in hild bede this year so feel free to PM me. Walking would get you a better feel for the place than getting a taxi i think, even if it is a little more effort.

ReputationRep:
    the interviews are normally relatively informal, the time that it states is just basically saying that you will be shown a tour around the department (though i cant be too sure why its in education).

if you live a fair few miles outside of durham, and you dont think you can make it there for 9am, contact the college you have been assigned too, and it is more than likely they will be able to assign you a room to stay in over night! - also lets you get to know more peopls, and the college too!

ian

as for the interview; no doubt you will be anxious; however you can prepare for it, ask one or 2 of your teachers to give you a 'mock' interview, or just read some interesting history related books. the interview isnt necessarily going to be on history, but most probably about you, your life and what you like doing. not many people have interviews at durham, although i had one for engineering, but that was informal nothing too stressful. like what would you think would happen if they discovered a new means of fuel / power? i.e. by pearls... (that was one random question i was asked, but by my college - i had 2 interviews!!!)

so just don't get too worried, you have more things to worry about (exams etc)

ReputationRep:
    just be yourself

act naturally

dont worry about it - you'll be fine

<insert meaningless and ineffectual platitude here>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Nav-)
    I have just been invited for interview from the Education Studies (with History) department. My interview is on the 6th December at 9.15 am until 1.00 pm. I am excited and yet worriyingly nervous at the same time. I have to stay the night in Hild/Bede college the night before - which should be quite good. Any interview advice is much appreciated as i have no clue about how to prepare - i have 1 individual interview with a Dr. Martin Richardson and then a group 1. Any advice from people who have been through these interviews would be great and how to get from the train station to Hild/Bede college.

Many Thanks
    I had mine for Environmental geoscience on Wednesday. Both college and department were informal chat interviews with questions like why you want to do the subject, why Durham and why the college. My offer came through the post this morning, so if i can manage it, im sure most other people can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedouin)
    I had mine for Environmental geoscience on Wednesday. Both college and department were informal chat interviews with questions like why you want to do the subject, why Durham and why the college. My offer came through the post this morning, so if i can manage it, im sure most other people can.
    Ooh wow someone else applied for Environmental geoscience at Durham! I just got a letter asking me to attend an interview on the 16th of January today! What was your interview like?

ReputationRep:
    Who is yours with?
    Basically: Why course? Why Department? Why Durham? And then Informal chat, he even told me what grades they would offer in the interview. Just be enthusiastic, if you want it... i get the impression departmental policy is to reject all those they dont want, invite the rest to interview and then if you seem nice and enthusiastic, have a good background and a generally good person to have... they give you a low offer to make you come there!

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty much how most interviews at Durham go, they've almost always decided to offer you a place anyway. But it's still advisable to give it you best. Which college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedouin)
    Who is yours with?
    Basically: Why course? Why Department? Why Durham? And then Informal chat, he even told me what grades they would offer in the interview. Just be enthusiastic, if you want it... i get the impression departmental policy is to reject all those they dont want, invite the rest to interview and then if you seem nice and enthusiastic, have a good background and a generally good person to have... they give you a low offer to make you come there!
    Sounds good to me, shouldn't have a problem being enthusiastic
    It says my college interview (at Collingwood) is with Dr Stephen Rayner and it doesn't say who the department one is with :confused: What college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    It says my college interview (at Collingwood) is with Dr Stephen Rayner and it doesn't say who the department one is with :confused: What college did you apply for?
    Collingwood... Steve Rayner!! If you need any advice for the interview or want any information about the 'Wood etc, please PM me, and ill offer any help I can give I am a Scientist tint wood.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

Durham is a very small city so a taxi is not going to break the bank if you don't know the area well and don't want to risk 'trying' to find your way and getting totally lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Collingwood... Steve Rayner!! If you need any advice for the interview or want any information about the 'Wood etc, please PM me, and ill offer any help I can give I am a Scientist tint wood.
    Ooh groovy! Thanks, I may well do nearer the time when the panic/nervousness sets in

ReputationRep:
    To all those with interviews, do not worry about anything just come up and enjoy yourself. Most of the interviewees i met last year(i had several friends who were interviewee reps) were worried but then started to feel more at home once we'd taken them to the pub, and answered all their questions!

Of course i don't endorse that you have to go to a pub, it's just a nice idea, i mean you'd never see me in a pub this year-i'm working far too hard

The Colpitts on a Saturday afternoon and a game of pool in the back room, is an excellent way to spend time Or pool in the Woodman, since it's only a minute away from my house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    steve is a proper legend, sorted me out no end last year when the **** hit the fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    i had an interview today with him for engineering
    it was fine - really informal and he just asked why durham, why engineering, why collingwood and then asked about stuff in my personal statement

he also said the interviews were just to blackmail you into going to durham and it meant you'd get an offer, but at engineering they said they need to reject a third of the people they interview!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.