Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oxegen Festival 2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was at it last year and never seen any of these chavs either xD couple of buses went from my town at the same time and we all camped round eachother so it was all good! hope to go again this year if i can gather the funds!

ReputationRep:
    ticket got, will be awesome. Looking forward to the foos, the strokes, weezer, jimmy eat world, two door cinema club, glas vegas and noah and the whale. From that it seems like a pretty brilliant line up. Plus it has to cater to everyone. Wont mind being dragged along to see beyonce, and id tolerate coldplay but i do find them slightly bland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tekno)
    Really? Most people I know who have been (Lots) have said they will never go back. Its full of chavs from Dublin, is super expensive, has mediocre line ups and is generally poor weather wise.

everyone i went with want to/are going this year.

Bought my ticket the minute Foo's were announced. Slash and Pendulum will be class.

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on packing/what we can leave until we get to Dublin? Me and my friend have booked our flights with Aer Lingus - 3 hold bags and 2 hand - should be enough for a big bag each and the tent. It'd be helpful if we could save getting food/alcohol until we got there, but is this logistically possible - i.e. are there supermarkets locally?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    well the festival grounds arent too far from Dublin where so it wont be too difficult to bring your supplies in from there, but if you dont want to carry stuff that far the racecourse where oxygen is held is close to a town called Naas which has plenty of shops. Be prepared though, food and alcohol prices are very expensive compared to UK prices, about 30% more is the average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)
    well the festival grounds arent too far from Dublin where so it wont be too difficult to bring your supplies in from there, but if you dont want to carry stuff that far the racecourse where oxygen is held is close to a town called Naas which has plenty of shops. Be prepared though, food and alcohol prices are very expensive compared to UK prices, about 30% more is the average.
    Wow seriously?! I hadn't even thought about that, thanks for bringing it to my attention! Looks like I will be packing nothing except cheap booze & clean undies now lol!xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Wow seriously?! I hadn't even thought about that, thanks for bringing it to my attention! Looks like I will be packing nothing except cheap booze & clean undies now lol!xx
    Hmm that sounds strange, but i doubt itll define you from the rest of the crowd. You probably wont be the only drunk person runnung around in their underwear. Oh god it could be a long 4 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill232)
    Hmm that sounds strange, but i doubt itll define you from the rest of the crowd. You probably wont be the only drunk person runnung around in their underwear. Oh god it could be a long 4 days
    I could always wear 3 lots of clothes to save on luggage weight! xx

ReputationRep:
    I could always wear 3 lots of clothes to save on luggage weight! xx
    goog thing its aerlingus, with the extra weight ryan air would try and make you pay for an extra seat, :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with 4 friends & am ridiculously excited. My first ever festival - woooooo!
    Looking forward to The Script (is this sad?) But also the Foos, Jimmy Eat World, Pendulum & Paulo Nutini.
    Gonna be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks to go guys!xx

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks to go and I still don't have a tent or a way of getting there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    2 weeks to go and I still don't have a tent or a way of getting there
    We only ordered our tent yesterday if makes you feel any better? xx

ReputationRep:

It would be difficult enough to get to Naas and back, it's not a big town and I'd say it'd be in chaos. The racecourse is about 20ish kilometres from Dublin, maybe 25, but I would recommend buying in Dublin all the same- you would not want to relying on queueing for ages in Naas to get into an overpriced Spar!

If you get a Dublin Bus or aircoach etc. from Dublin airport to the city centre, you can be dropped on the main street, O'Connell Street. If you go up to the top (opposite end to river) and turn left, you are on Parnell Street. This street contains a Lidl and a Tesco across the road from each other. Possibly an Aldi too, I forget. There's a few other supermarkets in the city but the german discounters are by far the cheapest. There is good deals on cans in Tesco, spirits and everything else not so much and food in general WILL be more expensive by a good bit....so go to Lidl/Aldi.

ReputationRep:
    We only ordered our tent yesterday if makes you feel any better? xx
    Ooh, are you getting one of the fancy tents?
    At this point all I have is dry shampoo and baby wipes but I think we're finally starting to get organised, 3-man tent for 23 euro in Argos :woo: Don't know what clothes to bring either, I hope it doesn't rain too much...

And a free shuttle bus goes to Naas every day of the festival so it won't be that difficult to get to, and the shops there would be a lot cheaper the the on-site Centra or wherever. There's going to be a Primark this year too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Lack of talent in just about everything, really. Awful music, awful lyrics, just plain awful. I find it hard to find one redeeming feature about them. They took emo down a pretty horrible path and for that I find it hard to like them. Changing emo from the likes of Jimmy Eat World to stuff like them, ugh.
    So your not a fan, I take it?

I'm going again this year. Not a huge fan of any of the bands (My Chemical Romance are brutal I agree) so going for the craic really.

Black Eyed Peas should be a laugh and probably keep it simple after that. Coldplay should be interesting, though I'm odds on to be passed out by Sunday night...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, any idea when tickets will arrive? I am getting them delivered to my home address in Leeds but heading back down to London on Tues as I fly to Dublin from Heathrow. Thought they'd be here tomorrow but getting a bit anxious :-/ xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.