Turn on thread page Beta

Whats more important - the university you go to or the degree you get ( 2,1 etc)? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynn)
    I think that a student from a lesser know university is going to have a better work ethic than a student from oxford etc, the student from a lesser known uni knows that they are going to work dam hard in their degree in order to be seen by employers. They are prob going to have a job as well to fund uni so they will get a taste of what work is actually like.
    So people studying for a degree at Oxford don't work hard, is that what you're trying to say?

And what makes you think that people at Oxford don't also have jobs as well, granted we're technically not allowed them during term time (seeing as the workload for the degree itself is pretty heavy) but there is the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Because it's good work.
    Isn't everyone talking about getting a job in finance/something pretty much unrelated to your degree as opposed to academia anyway?
    Quite.

Platocrates, kindly cease in your verbal egestation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynn)
    I think that a student from a lesser know university is going to have a better work ethic than a student from oxford etc, the student from a lesser known uni knows that they are going to work dam hard in their degree in order to be seen by employers. They are prob going to have a job as well to fund uni so they will get a taste of what work is actually like.
    Congratulations on being wrong.

The work load here (Cambridge) is considerable, and just because many of us had it easy at A Level doesn't mean it's easy here, infact, it's specifically designed to us NOT to have an easy time, but to push us. Yes people from other universities work, if they don't they are either too stupid to realise they should be working or at the wrong university. Your logic is "People at other universities work, therefore people at Oxbridge don't". That's known as "flawed logic".

As for your point about working, thats BS. As Wrangler sarcastically points out, we aren't all members of the upper classes who are inline to the throne or have "Archduke" before our name, surprisingly a significant proportion of us are normal people with normal parents. As such most work during the holidays at places (to list a few jobs people in my circle of friends do) like Boots, HMV, a charity, Game, their local uni and accountants. Most work to have money to actually buy things they want, or to have spending money during term time. Just because you have the preconception all our parents are loaded and therefore we don't feel the need to work because we're "spending the summer on Daddies yaght in Greece" doesn't actually make it so :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Quite.

Platocrates, kindly cease in your verbal egestation.
    :rolleyes:

--------------

Might I add Wrangler, your sarcasm amused me highly....

KUDOS!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)

If it is something like law or medicine, the university you go to absolutely makes all the difference, elitism is alive and well and the firms are not even discreet about it.

In medicine, there is very little difference between most courses and qualifying as a doctor will be enough to get you a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    Might I add Wrangler, your sarcasm amused me highly....
    Amusement aside - do you see the point I was trying to get across?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

In medicine, there is very little difference between most courses and qualifying as a doctor will be enough to get you a job.
    Fair enough I stand corrected.

I'm right on with law though - believe me I had to fight tooth and nail for my training contract, having had the pleasure of an education from a university thats languishing down there with Luton for law!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    Fair enough I stand corrected.

I'm right on with law though - believe me I had to fight tooth and nail for my training contract, having had the pleasure of an education from a university thats languishing down there with Luton for law!! :rolleyes:
    Harvard :p: ?!?

ReputationRep:
    A combination of both. Ideally a 1:1 from TVU should be worth more than a 2:1 from Oxford but as degrees are not of the same standard at all institutions this isnt the case sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Association of Graduate Recruiters

Minimum Criteria required for graduate jobs in 2005
    2i or above: 67%
    Demonstrate certain competencies: 63%
    Certain number of UCAS points: 37%
    2ii or above: 24%
    Studied a specific subject: 23%
    Relevent Work experience: 16%
    Studied at certain universities: 1%

Go where you'll be happiest - get a 2i or above and work your uni careers service and you should be fine.
    Can somebody plz explain this % differences?

They don't add up to be 100%... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casey)
    Leeds, I think.

ReputationRep:
    What's all this 1:1 business? Firsts aren't sub-divided so you don't have to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Employers can use more than one of those criteria - it was a multiple choice poll
    O i see... thanx for the instant reply.

It could be even better for job-seekers if there were any website, illustrating specific requirements (incl the importance of attending specific uni, and all those criteria) to get a specific job.

ReputationRep:
    i love this kind of topic its great fun i didnt say that people at oxbrdge dont work hard course they do but i said and i quote "student from a lesser known uni knows that they are going to work dam hard in their degree in order to be seen by employers", with a degree from oxbridge an employer is going to pick you first over a student with a degree from kent etc so therefore a student from a lesser know uni has to work extremely hard in
    order to surpase you at interview. and with the work side course people work during the holidays but people from poorer backgrounds who cant afford oxbridge are going to have to work through uni in order to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casey)
    Leeds Met

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    So for example, Professor X isn't as distinguished as Professor Y because X got his doctorate at Manchester whereas Y got his at Cambridge?

Yet they are both still experts in the same field?

Most Oxbridge students are there through privilege as opposed to anything else. That's the joke.
    I think you'll find most of us are here because we worked damn hard, thankyou very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynn)
    I can't believe the ****ging off of oxbridge which is going on!
    We work VERY hard here, dare I say it, probably the hardest of most universities in the country. And yes, some of us do have a job to fund uni, we do it in the holidays, as we're not allowed (at Oxford anyway) to work during term.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I love Cambridge personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen)
    I can't believe the ****ging off of oxbridge which is going on!
    We work VERY hard here, dare I say it, probably the hardest of most universities in the country. And yes, some of us do have a job to fund uni, we do it in the holidays, as we're not allowed (at Oxford anyway) to work during term.
    so what are you doing on here then !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Is nottingham really that much of a Good uni?

kes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.