Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Considering the intense competition for very limited numbers of jobs, what do people from Middlesex, Thames Valley, etc. do after graduation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi-sama)
    Considering the intense competition for very limited numbers of jobs, what do people from Middlesex, Thames Valley, etc. do after graduation?
    They seem to do just fine by the look of the statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swallows)
    So would people rather have a 2.1 from Oxbridge or a First from Warwick/Durham/Bristol etc.?
    Depends on the subject, but in general, a First from any of those three (or Imperial, UCL, LSE) would be better than a 2.1 from Oxbridge (especially in some subjects like law where there are so few people with Firsts).

I think some Oxbridge students are under this delusion that their degrees are far superior and more valuable than degrees from all other universities. That is certainly not true with regards to those top universities mentioned above.

Some anecdotal examples (not purporting to be representative or typical):
    - I know a fair number of Oxbridge students with 2.1s who are unable to get jobs at top law firms and investment banks, whereas a First from any of the above is unlikely to suffer the same problem.
    - One of my best mates just finished his final round interviews at a top investment bank (sales and trading? can't remember). There were 15 people in that final round (8 from Oxbridge, 7 from the other universities listed above). Only three finally got the offers - all three were from UCL (two had Firsts, my mate a strong 2.1).

ReputationRep:
    Is that implying that while Imperial and LSE are not lesser univerisities, Warwick/Durham/UCL are?
    You have passed that simple comprehension test.

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day the degree is the important thing, not necessarily the educational establishment. the people comparing russel groups to places like oxford and cambridge need to get a life. a 2.2/2.1 from warwick, for example, is a great achievement on its own. as pointed out by others, employers take into consideration other external factors such as voluntary experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kesso12)
    Is nottingham really that much of a Good uni?
    Yes it is.

This whole issue peeves me somewhat, having been rejected from top universities while more mediocre students get into these very places vecause they applied to less popular subjects

ReputationRep:
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrus)
    Yes it is.

This whole issue peeves me somewhat, having been rejected from top universities while more mediocre students get into these very places vecause they applied to less popular subjects
    I very much doubt there are any 'mediocre' students at Oxbridge- even if you apply to a less competitive course, they're still not going to let you in if you're not good enough, are they? I'm doing chemistry, which is fairly 'easy' statistically to get into, yet the average grade points attained at A-level by students on my course is the same as those on other mpre competitive courses.

ReputationRep:
    as pulled up previously:

Minimum Criteria required for graduate jobs in 2005
    2i or above: 67%
    Demonstrate certain competencies: 63%
    Certain number of UCAS points: 37%
    2ii or above: 24%
    Studied a specific subject: 23%
    Relevent Work experience: 16%
    Studied at certain universities: 1%

(Original post by lawgrad)
    There were 15 people in that final round (8 from Oxbridge, 7 from the other universities listed above). Only three finally got the offers - all three were from UCL (two had Firsts, my mate a strong 2.1).
    :cool:

I'd rather have a First from a non-Oxbridge tier 1 university, than a 2.i from Oxbridge.

As for the networking oppportunity larks, being in London is very valuable. In one day with a large group of freshers, we were hammered (we were doing 23 pubs that day!) and I walked into pubs along the way chatting to MPs in Westminister having 8 tube stops earlier been in the City with a bunch of bankers. Opportunity does exist in a big city with lots of lights

There is a fine balance between the university attended, the course studied and the degree awarded... what counts as the tier 1 bracket for certain sectors varies.

--------------

(Original post by Platocrates)
    Such as?
    Land Economy, Theology, Anglo-Saxon and Nordic Studies, SPS... there are some Oxbridge courses which are considered a relative breeze to get into.

I know there are some very intelligent people on them but there are definitely some who aren't at the... sharp end of the student population?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    So, the BA/MA which a late friend of mine got after retiring isn't "valuable" because she didn't do anything with it afterwards.

Get a grip. Knowledge is valuable regardless of what you do afterwards. It would be really cool if someone went around all the universities and served as the Academic Inquisitor. They would ask people why they are at university, and if they respond primarily with "to get a good job", they'd be zapped out of the university. All that would be left would be the people there for whom that is a beneficial side effect.

There'd be no shortage of places at Oxbridge then.
    I never specified that the only use of a degree is a career. I presume that your friend took his/her course for reasons other than this, and I'm sure they enjoyed the experience. That would be a purpose in that case.

As for knowledge without application being valuable, I have to disagree. The single-minded acquisition of knowledge for its own sake is absurd, and I don't think we should condemn people at university who are there simply with the aim of gaining employment afterwards. It's a perfectly respectable aim to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferrus)
    i hate the fact that there are no AAA accounting and finance universities but every good economics one is ABB minimum, more often than not AAA

ReputationRep:
    It really all depends IMO. There are several factors and several different situations/circumstances. Where I live, for example [Cyprus], this is how employers value a perspective employee [rank of importance].
    1. A first or 2.1 from Oxbridge - this is the oh la la degree to have to get where u want but STILL
    2. A first degree from the home University because - (a). the courses are really tough and the BA degrees are four years (b.) you speak your mother tongue and english plus another language at a very good level
    3. A degree from a lesser known UK uni

It is generally better to have a degree from a distinguished university at 2:1 rather than a first from a not so known university.
    But at the end of the day. this is why INTERVIEWS, APPLICATIONS AND TRY-OUT PERIODS EXIST- so that everyone gets an equal chance. If I have a first from Cambridge I am bound to be a very bright person and yet, if I want a job in a PR company or customer service or marketing etc, the guy from Kent that has worked really hard during his study and had a good internship can still PROVE HIMSELF when it comes to the interview or a trial period. A clever, skilled person that is well-suited to the job will be successful and thats it.
    Reputation and pieces of paper mean nothing when the sh*t hits the fan and u as an employee have to deal with the situation immediately and succesffuly. U might have a quatraple first from Cambridge and nine PhD's but if you can't handle it then u wont get anywhere in the end, even if you have an advantage at the beginning.

PS. Sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi-sama)
    Most of these students, only go to university not knowing what they want out of life. Some of them probably want to get a degree and the letters BSc or BA, even then, many are unaware of elitism. Many of them would fail to meet the entry requirements or even cope with the demands of the degree at a one of the Russell Group univerisites.

ReputationRep:
    what's a Russel Group Uni?
    oh God have they found another way to sound posh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrteacher)
    what's a Russel Group Uni?
    oh God have they found another way to sound posh?
    The Russell Group is an association of research-led Universities, and comprises:

• University of Oxford
    • University of Cambridge
    • Imperial College London
    • King's College London
    • London School of Economics
    • University College London
    • University of Bath
    • University of Birmingham
    • University of Bristol
    • Cardiff University
    • University of Edinburgh
    • University of Glasgow
    • University of Leeds
    • University of Liverpool
    • University of Manchester
    • University of Newcastle upon Tyne
    • University of Nottingham
    • University of Sheffield
    • University of Southampton
    • University of Warwick

ReputationRep:
    ah excellent too bad i rejected warwick. i could have been a Russel Group graduate. now i can go to keele and be a happy graduate. shame really when u come to think about it?

ReputationRep:
    Is that implying that while Imperial and LSE are not lesser univerisities, Warwick/Durham/UCL are?
    There is a large gulf between Imperial and LSE and the rest of the pack.

The LSE is 2nd in the world for social sciences, beaten only by Harvard.
    Imperial is 5th in the world for technology and 6th for biomedicine.

(Original post by poohbear)
    There is a large gulf between Imperial and LSE and the rest of the pack.

The LSE is 2nd in the world for social sciences, beaten only by Harvard.
    Imperial is 5th in the world for technology and 6th for biomedicine.
    You really need to start seeing past league tables... you really do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    You really need to start seeing past league tables... you really do...
    Ok, let us use global reputation.
    Imperial and LSE are both known outside the UK.
    The others are virtually unknown.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.