Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I have just been accepted to Oxford for my masters, and I am wondering how much I am going to spend per month there (approximately). My college (Green Templeton) has calculated something around 12,500 pounds (per year) which I assume includes accommodation plus meals and other costs (books, social life, etc). I have neither studied nor ever lived in the UK so I can't really estimate.

What is your experience in this regard? How much do you spend per month? I am a guy that likes to eat nice but simple meals, I go out normally once a week for a couple of pints with friends, I am looking to get a single small room in college (avg. 400 pounds/month), I like to buy a t-shirt every now and then... in other words, I guess I'm quite the average student when it comes to spending money.

Also, how does the eating part works? is there a meal plan I can subscribe to? or am I expected to cook three meals for myself everyday? Or is it a mix between the two? How does this work? If this varies between colleges, any experience with Green Templeton?

Cheers and thank you for your help! :gthumb:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I was pretty staggered by the £12,500 figure in all honesty when i received it, so much so i started a thread about it. There may be some set up costs for someone like yourself but personally i do not anticipate spending more than £9,000 at an absolute top estimate as a graduate like yourself anticipating similar accommodation costs. That budget includes some £71 per week on food alone - you'd have to be eating such expensive food to manage that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by der.verrueckte)
    Hey all,

I have just been accepted to Oxford for my masters, and I am wondering how much I am going to spend per month there (approximately). My college (Green Templeton) has calculated something around 12,500 pounds (per year) which I assume includes accommodation plus meals and other costs (books, social life, etc). I have neither studied nor ever lived in the UK so I can't really estimate.

What is your experience in this regard? How much do you spend per month? I am a guy that likes to eat nice but simple meals, I go out normally once a week for a couple of pints with friends, I am looking to get a single small room in college (avg. 400 pounds/month), I like to buy a t-shirt every now and then... in other words, I guess I'm quite the average student when it comes to spending money.

Also, how does the eating part works? is there a meal plan I can subscribe to? or am I expected to cook three meals for myself everyday? Or is it a mix between the two? How does this work? If this varies between colleges, any experience with Green Templeton?

Cheers and thank you for your help! :gthumb:

Hey, I was also accepted at Green Templeton, and indeed the costs are staggering. However I am an international student accepted for the MSc. Global health science and I'm really hoping to get a scholarship.
    What course were you admitted for? How are you planning to pay for your masters. It's nice to meet someone who'll be in my college...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I was pretty staggered by the £12,500 figure in all honesty when i received it, so much so i started a thread about it. There may be some set up costs for someone like yourself but personally i do not anticipate spending more than £9,000 at an absolute top estimate as a graduate like yourself anticipating similar accommodation costs. That budget includes some £71 per week on food alone - you'd have to be eating such expensive food to manage that.
    Thank you! this is the type of observation I needed. Are the £71 included in the 9,000 or 12,000 budget?
    Also, any info on the meal system question? Thanks nexttime.

(Original post by someday soon)
    Hey, I was also accepted at Green Templeton, and indeed the costs are staggering. However I am an international student accepted for the MSc. Global health science and I'm really hoping to get a scholarship.
    What course were you admitted for? How are you planning to pay for your masters. It's nice to meet someone who'll be in my college...
    Hey someday soon! I got into the MPhil in Development Studies, I could not be happier with Green Templeton. It seems like a lot of interesting and related programmes (like yours) will be coexisting within the same walls. I am planning to use some savings, and the rest through a private loan. Although I am competing for scholarships, I am really not counting on getting them.

As of which loan, I am not exactly sure. I need to do more research on this. How about you??

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by der.verrueckte)
    Thank you! this is the type of observation I needed. Are the £71 included in the 9,000 or 12,000 budget?
    Also, any info on the meal system question? Thanks nexttime.
    That's in the £12,500. Its breakdown is available here.

The meal system varies between colleges. Some have a system where you either subscribe to all college meals in a term or go on a pay-as-you-go basis. Whichever plan is used, i think most if not all colleges offer breakfast lunch and dinner most days. Having said that, Green is a bit special as a graduate college so maybe its different. Certainly on the plus side, graduates seem to uniformly have better access to kitchens than undergrads even within undergraduate colleges.

But as i say, i can only make generalizations. If you want to know for sure i'd suggest dropping their admissions officer an e-mail.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.