Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't post any photos from Avery hill sadly, but I thought I'd give u an idea of what the single en-suite rooms look like at McMillian and Cutty Sark as I know I had no clue!

Cutty Sark

Then imagine a portaloo/train toilet and that's what the shower/toilet combo looks like

McMillian

[IMG][/IMG]

ReputationRep:
    wow macmillan looks lovely copared to cutt sark..

is it an easy walk from the campus to macmillan?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephanieWhite)
    wow macmillan looks lovely copared to cutt sark..

is it an easy walk from the campus to macmillan?

thanks
    It's a half mile walk from MacMillan to the campus along Creek Road (The road that Cutty Sark's entrance ramp faces onto)

ReputationRep:
    Hey can any of the new students apply for accomadation yet? Becuase i tried and it says it will be available on april 2011, is there an exact date because i really want Cutty Sark
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    If anyone is interested in photos from Avery Hill, I have some of the accommodation (study room only tho) that I can dig out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    If anyone is interested in photos from Avery Hill, I have some of the accommodation (study room only tho) that I can dig out
    that woul be awesome!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Oh I thought I had a picture of my actual room, but I don't appear to! Not that it was anything special... Here is an example of Parr Court at Avery Hill (one of the newer ones). Wardrobe is behind on the left, followed by the door. Pod ensuite behind the camera
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Looks very much like mine! just slightly smaller, takes me about 6 mins to walk from mcmillian to cutty sark

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering...

Whats the internet like in Cutty Sark or Avery Hill?
    Do they have some sort of IPTV service too?

As I posted in another thread, I am primarily going to Kingston where they have an external company do their internet and you can upgrade to other speed packages and they also offer IPTV and IPTV+
    Just wondered if there is something similar at Greenwich?

D x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisaintnoparty)
    Just wondering...

Whats the internet like in Cutty Sark or Avery Hill?
    Do they have some sort of IPTV service too?

As I posted in another thread, I am primarily going to Kingston where they have an external company do their internet and you can upgrade to other speed packages and they also offer IPTV and IPTV+
    Just wondered if there is something similar at Greenwich?

D x
    Cutty Sark and Avery Hill are both part of the Resnet network, which basically means your internet is provided directly by the University. Very high speed, but restrictions on some games/applications dependant on nature (e.g. torrents are a big no).

Greenwich is signed up the Freewire service so theoretically you should be able to get Freeview through IPTV at both Avery Hill and Cutty Sark. In practice I could never get it to work in Cutty Sark, however I know that the internet link that the Uni has with Cutty Sark is not as good as with the Avery Hill halls (Cutty Sark's internet runs via a laser link to the Uni campus due to cables not being able to be installed as the Uni buildings are listed, Avery Hill however has cabled internet connections throughout the campus).

Hope this helps answer your question and like I mentioned before, if anyone has any questions regarding Greenwich, please feel free to ask.

Regards
    Liam Murphy
    Greenwich Alumnus

ReputationRep:
    yes! IM IN CUTTY SARK!!! really excited! Is the University good? I am doing Digital Film production. Very worried about people though...I hate rude people, hopefully people are nice there!!

ReputationRep:
    I (unfortunately) received an offer for McMillan:

McMillan Student Village - Apartment - shared flat with en-suite facilities

Does this mean that I'll be sharing the room with someone else?

ReputationRep:
    Are you over 24? I liked the look of McMillan but says its for over 24's/postgrads only. Bit of a shame as my only real choice would be Cutty Sark?! =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisaintnoparty)
    Are you over 24? I liked the look of McMillan but says its for over 24's/postgrads only. Bit of a shame as my only real choice would be Cutty Sark?! =/
    I'm 20... Shared flat means that I won't have a room of my own, right?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, pretty sure that means a FLAT - thats shared... not a room.

ReputationRep:
    You only share the kitchen facilities.The en-suite room contains bed, desk, wardrobe, chair,mini-fridge,shower, basin, toilet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drk371)
    You only share the kitchen facilities.The en-suite room contains bed, desk, wardrobe, chair,mini-fridge,shower, basin, toilet.
    Great!

Do you know anything about what McMillan is like socially? Isn't Deptford a very rough area?

ReputationRep:
    No.

Everything will be new to me as well

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.