Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Upon hearing that they cancelled the program yesterday, I am kind of devastated. This was the primary reason I was interested in coming from Canada to do my business MSc at Warwick Uni, as I would have the security of 2 years to ensure that I could find a related job in the City.

Do you think this new change will have a significant impact on City firms hiring international students? It seems like it will now be an extra burden on firms to apply for work visas for internationals, and to me it seems like firms might start to avoid them in favour of nationals, even despite the reputation of Warwick or my high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by december2)
    Upon hearing that they cancelled the program yesterday, I am kind of devastated. This was the primary reason I was interested in coming from Canada to do my business MSc at Warwick Uni, as I would have the security of 2 years to ensure that I could find a related job in the City.

Do you think this new change will have a significant impact on City firms hiring international students? It seems like it will now be an extra burden on firms to apply for work visas for internationals, and to me it seems like firms might start to avoid them in favour of nationals, even despite the reputation of Warwick or my high grades.
    The point you raise shouldn't have an impact on large City employers who will always have some foreign staff and be well geared up for the process.

However, say a small financial PR consultancy with wholly UK or EU staff might not want to jump through the hoops.

The government will be publishing minimum wage rates and you won't allowed to undercut these.

What I think will be significant is this. The numbers of ordinary work permit visas are numerically capped.* Those numbers are very tight. Large City firms may not be wanting to "waste" one of their precious visas on relatively junior staff. Firms are also likely to find it increasingly difficult to show that they could not have recruited from the UK/EU labour market. If that is the case then they would be able to employ you for two years post study but not thereafter. Unless the firm is able to deploy you abroad or unless you are going to bring in a lot of value in those two years, why should the firm commit resources to you only to lose you in two years' time?

What the government has done is lay bare the fundamental confusion about the post-study visa. Many students see it as a stepping stone to permanent settlement in the UK. It was never intended for that. It was designed so that former students could pick up a couple of years of relevant work experience in the UK before returning to their own countries.

Two things you might want to think about. The first is the working holiday (youth mobility) route. That would give you two years unrestricted work in the UK and is open to Canadians.

The other is whether you qualify for British citizenship by descent or another EU citizenship.

In a sense, and I am not wishing to be nasty about this, you are part of the problem the government is trying to address. You are looking to study in the UK at least in part in order to secure immigration benefits and not purely for the quality of the course.

* At present the numerical cap does not apply to applicants applying in the UK and switching from another visa. It is difficult to see this is sustainable.

ReputationRep:
    First of all these changes are to apply after April 2012, so if your graduating before then, you dont need to worry.
    The changes are still not very clear yet and very contradicting, They'll close the PSW and only allow students who would earn at least £20,000 to get a work visa which isn't defined by a 2 year period without the need of a market test, i.e. No priorities given to UK or EU citizens.
    To me, these changes seem to make it easier for students to settle in the UK, because once your on a Tier 2, your a Permanent Resident in five years and so there is no going back then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramox3)
    First of all these changes are to apply after April 2012, so if your graduating before then, you dont need to worry.
    The changes are still not very clear yet and very contradicting, They'll close the PSW and only allow students who would earn at least £20,000 to get a work visa which isn't defined by a 2 year period without the need of a market test, i.e. No priorities given to UK or EU citizens.
    To me, these changes seem to make it easier for students to settle in the UK, because once your on a Tier 2, your a Permanent Resident in five years and so there is no going back then.
    Yes, but my point was that employers will looks less favourably on international graduates now, because it is a lot more work to obtain a visa - it's much easier to simply pick a similarly qualified Home or EU student.

Also, we would have a very small window to look for a job while studying at the same time, or we get sent home. In the PSW scheme I could have had a reassurance of 2 years of time to apply and interview for jobs.

Also, my program goes sept-sept, so I would be affected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by december2)
    Yes, but my point was that employers will looks less favourably on international graduates now, because it is a lot more work to obtain a visa - it's much easier to simply pick a similarly qualified Home or EU student.

Also, we would have a very small window to look for a job while studying at the same time, or we get sent home. In the PSW scheme I could have had a reassurance of 2 years of time to apply and interview for jobs.

Also, my program goes sept-sept, so I would be affected.
    Yeah im really upset about that as well. I came here last year and still got another year to graduate. It seems like a sick joke, for my exams are may 2012 and PSW ends april 2012...1 month

Doesnt seem fair to students, and especially international students already in the country with the plan of doing PSW. You being canadian you have other options, youth mobility scheme tier 5, im american so im screwed lol. (wish we had that tier 5 one!)

As for jobs, whoever said it will be easier that is false. Companies arent gonna want to hire you unless you are from the best school and really amazing at what you do, otherwise the majority of international students wont be given the time of day. I would also like to add that its a hassle to go through the fees and paperwork for a company to actually sponsor you. On another website, people on PSW visas have been looking for jobs for months, applying everywhere in town with no luck. Most i hear about are unemployed or take a job that isnt relevant to their degree because they cant find one(thought they still are looking). Not because they dont want one. At least with PSW your covered, you got time on your back to at least attempt to find a job while remaining over here, tier 2 is gonna be impossible.

Also there was no settlement with PSW and tier 2, if your a student they may get rid of settlement route. So really bad news, and guess that means i have to go home after my studies, thats the thanks we get for investing so much time and money into the economy! cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil22)
    Yeah im really upset about that as well. I came here last year and still got another year to graduate. It seems like a sick joke, for my exams are may 2012 and PSW ends april 2012...1 month

Doesnt seem fair to students, and especially international students already in the country with the plan of doing PSW. You being canadian you have other options, youth mobility scheme tier 5, im american so im screwed lol. (wish we had that tier 5 one!)

As for jobs, whoever said it will be easier that is false. Companies arent gonna want to hire you unless you are from the best school and really amazing at what you do, otherwise the majority of international students wont be given the time of day. I would also like to add that its a hassle to go through the fees and paperwork for a company to actually sponsor you. On another website, people on PSW visas have been looking for jobs for months, applying everywhere in town with no luck. Most i hear about are unemployed or take a job that isnt relevant to their degree because they cant find one(thought they still are looking). Not because they dont want one. At least with PSW your covered, you got time on your back to at least attempt to find a job while remaining over here, tier 2 is gonna be impossible.

Also there was no settlement with PSW and tier 2, if your a student they may get rid of settlement route. So really bad news, and guess that means i have to go home after my studies, thats the thanks we get for investing so much time and money into the economy! cheers!
    That's a pretty unfortunate situation, only a one month difference! I can understand why they might have wanted to crack down on this, because people from other countries were just getting their study/work visas and disappearing, but it's really unfortunate that it's going to impact those of us who actually aimed to come to find professional careers.

And also, the website says I'm eligible for the youth mobility visa, as I took a working holiday visa for 4 months a few years ago to work part time in Scotland while I traveled around... I just can't get any luck here!

ReputationRep:
    Rightly so. It is disgusting the amount of foreign students allowed to stay for two years to find work, when we have ben shafted by unemployment, and a contricting economy.

I hope PSW never comes back again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueEyedEurope)
    Rightly so. It is disgusting the amount of foreign students allowed to stay for two years to find work, when we have ben shafted by unemployment, and a contricting economy.

If an individual were better suited for a position why should it matter what their nationality is? If he/she has chosen to pursue a degree at a much higher cost than Home/EU students, especially considering some unfavorable exchange rates, they should be given the opportunity to gain relevant work experience after completing their course and make some of that back. I agree that there are probably some who abuse the system, but that should not penalize those students who are legitimately in the UK to study and then temporarily work after in order to enhance their employment prospects in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galaxygirl12)
    If an individual were better suited for a position why should it matter what their nationality is? If he/she has chosen to pursue a degree at a much higher cost than Home/EU students, especially considering some unfavorable exchange rates, they should be given the opportunity to gain relevant work experience after completing their course and make some of that back. I agree that there are probably some who abuse the system, but that should not penalize those students who are legitimately in the UK to study and then temporarily work after in order to enhance their employment prospects in the future.
    This is not always the case though is it. PSW is not dependant on grades or performance. It is more important to find jobs for British graduates not for foreign graduates. If you think otherwise, then we will see how you change your tune when you are chasing a single vacancy with hundred of applicants apkying for the same position.

As I state before, I am glad the PSW has closed, there are more than enough British graduates to fill positions.

ReputationRep:

not everyone is aiming for jobs with tons of applicants. I'm going to be studying international development this September and i was hoping to work with a NGO in the UK to get some experience before i go home but now with the new system, i probably won't be able to since most NGOs don't sponsor work visas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad4footie)
    not everyone is aiming for jobs with tons of applicants. I'm going to be studying international development this September and i was hoping to work with a NGO in the UK to get some experience before i go home but now with the new system, i probably won't be able to since most NGOs don't sponsor work visas.
    Foreign Students can get work experience at home it is not the responsibility of the UK to provide them with work experience. British students come first.

ReputationRep:
    This is not always the case though is it. PSW is not dependant on grades or performance. It is more important to find jobs for British graduates not for foreign graduates. If you think otherwise, then we will see how you change your tune when you are chasing a single vacancy with hundred of applicants apkying for the same position.

As I state before, I am glad the PSW has closed, there are more than enough British graduates to fill positions.
    I agree with you that it's not always the case, which is why I stated that there are some who abuse the system. However, just because some take jobs that they shouldn't be taking does not mean that everybody will do the same.

Why would I "change my tune"? If someone were better qualified for the position that I've applied for, then great for them and they deserve the job. But, if I were better qualified, I would expect to be given the opportunity.

You may be glad that PSW is closed, but there are plenty of individuals who will disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you that it's not always the case, which is why I stated that there are some who abuse the system. However, just because some take jobs that they shouldn't be taking does not mean that everybody will do the same.

Why would I "change my tune"? If someone were better qualified for the position that I've applied for, then great for them and they deserve the job. But, if I were better qualified, I would expect to be given the opportunity.

You may be glad that PSW is closed, but there are plenty of individuals who will disagree with you.
    Yeah, Foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Foreigners.
    Maybe in this forum since it is the "International Lounge", but it's not just foreigners who will disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in this forum since it is the "International Lounge", but it's not just foreigners who will disagree.
    Corporate business owners may disagree, however they are only out to hire the cheapest workers they can get.

I am pretty sure british graduates welcome the news.

ReputationRep:
    Corporate business owners may disagree, however they are only out to hire the cheapest workers they can get.

simply put you are pretty ignorant. The visa was supposed to keep the best and brightest workers in the UK and im sure your country has greatly benefited from that...example doctors. (id like to see england with no international workers, you would be more deeply affected from the lack of then you may think! Some positions have a shortage and are in demand, and those jobs arent being filled by british workers apparently. Some jobs demand highly qualified people and the best one for the job should have an equal shot. Do note the PSW was temporary, and im pretty sure it has nothing to do with you not getting a job, maybe you just arent qualified enough and someone beat you to a job and your bitter?

I dont think many jobs were being taken due to an international student gaining some work experience. No it is not the UK's responsibility, sure they could go home, but you also forget the priceless experience one would get working overseas and how good it looks on your CV. There are many benefits to it. THere are international workers in all countries around the world, and in fact the world would be crap if there wasnt.

Also personally i dont think PSW is the biggest problem your country has with immigration. Every visa has those who abuse it.

ReputationRep:

Australia took that road already only to get hit hard in their education sector, their one of few remaining exports so they had to relax their laws again for international students advantage, the UK is going to repeat that same mistake all over again, get hit hard in its education sector, also one of its few remaining exports and be forced to relax the laws again. Foreign students are injecting so much money into the British economy, ignoring the economical effects is going to be hard when their numbers decrease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil22)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ent-policy.pdf
    The Resident Labour Market Test will not apply. Is it still that bad? I am also an international student and in my field getting work experience in the UK would be fundamental. I still haven't committed to the MA, but have to give an answer soon...what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramox3)
    Australia took that road already only to get hit hard in their education sector, their one of few remaining exports so they had to relax their laws again for international students advantage, the UK is going to repeat that same mistake all over again, get hit hard in its education sector, also one of its few remaining exports and be forced to relax the laws again. Foreign students are injecting so much money into the British economy, ignoring the economical effects is going to be hard when their numbers decrease.
    There will be no shortage of students to UK Universities. I do not think it will have any impact o students coming to the UK at all. many countries throughout the EU do not have PSW type systems and it has had no impact on student numbers.

ReputationRep:
    There will still be overseas students who end up working in the UK if they really want to, they might have to go back home and get some experience first and then apply for jobs in the UK as a UK graduate with professional experience.

The ones this is really going to affect are the ones who were wanting to work in their home countries really but wanted their CV boosted by a couple of years work in a relatively junior position in a UK firm, which they would make sound better than it actually was!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.