Turn on thread page Beta

Post-Work Visas Cancelled watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You have one person who is giving clearly written information and advice and then there is you. I know whose posts I'd take more seriously.
    Don't matter how ' clear ' it is if it's wrong then it's wrong.

Don't reply if you don't want to listen to me.

you're bogus

ReputationRep:
    Well what a surprise the so call expert is a wannabe UK elite American.

more or less guarantee there are big holes in his info.

Prime eg). in theory you can apply to T2 now BUT this will be near impossible as most employers will specify that you will need to already have a WP before you apply.

So no matter what T this will effectively kill of post grad employment for most IS, unless you are on the short list.

F'g BS, cynical cowards as usual.

And Shiet to all IS governments for putting up with this. Bollox to them.

Power to the people.

ReputationRep:
    now that the PSW has been confirmed to be cancelled effectively (despite the £20k route through T2), I wonder how this would affect international students' enrollment into universities in the UK ..

are you considering to decline the offer that you've received now? or know people who were considering offer and reject them due to the cancellation? or does it not matter that much anyway?

Because for myself, if i knew about this before coming here, I'd seriously consider alternatives such as Canada, Australia or New Zealand instead ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SemperVivum)
    The list of sponsors is 2,755 pages long - under the 2012 system there will be plenty of graduate schemes available to international students as well as direct entry jobs.

The new system makes international students far more attractive to employers as its so much more straightfoward (as long as the student gets the job while on a student visa, applies in-country, and the job pays £20k plus).
    Unfortunately, Txi's response seems to be the consensus even among the large firm employers in the UK...

(Original post by Txi)

Prime eg). in theory you can apply to T2 now BUT this will be near impossible as most employers will specify that you will need to already have a WP before you apply.

So no matter what T this will effectively kill of post grad employment for most IS, unless you are on the short list.
    I just received responses from several major firms I was interested in, many of which are very large. The typical response was something like this:

"Anyone can apply for the graduate scheme positions, however we can only offer positions to those who are eligible to work in the UK. We have employed a number of non-UK residents on student/post study work visas in the past and these have been converted to Tier 1 when appropriate. Of course these are no longer issued, it has made it much more difficult for employers to take on foreign students, as the Tier 2 route is rather more complicated and convoluted and is by no means a formality.

Whilst we accept applications from anyone from anyone, it does becomes an unknown element of the recruitment process if we feel a candidate is the best for the role but the UKBA either doesn't grant us sufficient cerificates to employ who we want, or candidates' Tier 2 applications are turned down."

I should mention that I will we doing a finance and business MSc as well, which usually has the greatest numbers of graduate schemes and opportunities too - I shudder to think how even more impossible it will be for internationals in any other other subject.

I am really downset by the lack of optimism expressed by every single one of the responses, and I'm becoming more and more pessimistic about my choice to apply for UK schools. It seems the chances now of getting a job afterwards are incredibly small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by december2)
    Unfortunately, Txi's response seems to be the consensus even among the large firm employers in the UK...

I just received responses from several major firms I was interested in, many of which are very large. The typical response was something like this:

"Anyone can apply for the graduate scheme positions, however we can only offer positions to those who are eligible to work in the UK. We have employed a number of non-UK residents on student/post study work visas in the past and these have been converted to Tier 1 when appropriate. Of course these are no longer issued, it has made it much more difficult for employers to take on foreign students, as the Tier 2 route is rather more complicated and convoluted and is by no means a formality.

Whilst we accept applications from anyone from anyone, it does becomes an unknown element of the recruitment process if we feel a candidate is the best for the role but the UKBA either doesn't grant us sufficient cerificates to employ who we want, or candidates' Tier 2 applications are turned down."
    The responses you have received from the companies relate to the current PSW work visa and tier 2 system and do not reflect the proposed changes. The end of the PSW visas should make life easier for tier 2 list employers - as long as the person they want to employ is in-country, on a student visa and the job is paying more than £20k a year. No more labour market test and no more nonsense with certificates. The labour market test should only apply to out of country applicants / those whose student visa has expired after April 2012.

For people finishing their courses after April 2012, and who are aiming for graduate schemes (which are predominantly in business, finance. management, IT, engineering etc) , the new scheme is better. The new scheme is far worse though for those who are not graduate scheme material or not aiming for the graduate schemes and who need to undertake unpaid or placements paying under £20k a year to improve their employability as the PSW allowed any job (even McJobs) for 2 years but the new scheme won't give you anything.

I can understand the changes are worrying people who want to come to the UK for Masters degrees. Waiting a year until the changes have been implemented, and the advice from recruiters has been updated to reflect the new system, may give you the reassurance you are seeking.

You've tried explaining the differences between the current system that is going and the new system that is coming in. People aren't listening. If they don't have basic comprehension skills, then they are not going to make it here anyway. Seriously, I wouldn't waste your breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You've tried explaining the differences between the current system that is going and the new system that is coming in. People aren't listening. If they don't have basic comprehension skills, then they are not going to make it here anyway. Seriously, I wouldn't waste your breath.
    I understand what he is trying to say, but all of the recruiters have so far
    told me the new Tier 2 system will make it more difficult and troublesome to hire in foreign students.

Either that or the recruitors themselves do not yet understand the workings of the new policy.

ReputationRep:
    when is the typical time for graduate schemes to open ? the timeframe seems to be awfully short .. does it mean that if i'm on a one-year master's degree, i should begin to look for job waay before my course ends ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)

the ubiquitous sycophant + the wannabe UK elite.

F'g BS

nuff said.

if you are so exaperated by events here then don't reply.

Otherwise you are revealing your true desperation to be approved by the wannabe Brit.

joker.

ReputationRep:
    told me the new Tier 2 system will make it more difficult and troublesome to hire in foreign students.

Either that or the recruitors themselves do not yet understand the workings of the new policy.

Forget and his bf they are just trying to ego masturbate.

You have heard what the real situation is 1st hand.

Consider your choices carefully - a lot of trollers here trying to sucker in IS to pay for their lousy institutions.

ReputationRep:

I haven't seen anything where the recruiters have made any comment on the new scheme. The current system is a total hassle as the recruiters often will leave internationals til last and only deal with their applications if they can't get a UK/EU applicant for the post. I know some people with great grades who ended up taking ****e PSW jobs just to stay in the country after graduation.

(Original post by ginger_beer)
    when is the typical time for graduate schemes to open ? the timeframe seems to be awfully short .. does it mean that if i'm on a one-year master's degree, i should begin to look for job waay before my course ends ?
    Before your course starts is more the way if you are starting an MSc and you want investment banking. The grad scheme application season is short and they open earlier every year. For banking and finance some of them open for applications in August, most in September and October to start the actual job in the September of the following year. There are still some graduate schemes open for applications now for a September 2011 start but most of these are engineering and IT schemes and not many business or management schemes left as its the end of the recruitment season.

ReputationRep:
    The responses you have received from the companies relate to the current PSW work visa and tier 2 system and do not reflect the proposed changes. The end of the PSW visas should make life easier for tier 2 list employers - as long as the person they want to employ is in-country, on a student visa and the job is paying more than £20k a year. No more labour market test and no more nonsense with certificates. The labour market test should only apply to out of country applicants / those whose student visa has expired after April 2012.

For people finishing their courses after April 2012, and who are aiming for graduate schemes (which are predominantly in business, finance. management, IT, engineering etc) , the new scheme is better. The new scheme is far worse though for those who are not graduate scheme material or not aiming for the graduate schemes and who need to undertake unpaid or placements paying under £20k a year to improve their employability as the PSW allowed any job (even McJobs) for 2 years but the new scheme won't give you anything.

I can understand the changes are worrying people who want to come to the UK for Masters degrees. Waiting a year until the changes have been implemented, and the advice from recruiters has been updated to reflect the new system, may give you the reassurance you are seeking.

Either you are really stupid or your fantasies are so strong your sole aim is to force them down our throats. I call BS on both counts.

" We have employed a number of non-UK residents on student/post study work visas in the past and these have been converted to Tier 1 when appropriate. Of course these are no longer issued, it has made it much more difficult for employers to take on foreign students, as the Tier 2 route is rather more complicated and convoluted and is by no means a formality. "

" if we feel a candidate is the best for the role but the UKBA either doesn't grant us sufficient cerificates to employ who we want, or candidates' Tier 2 applications are turned down "

Thus indicating the true low probability of a post grad work under the new schemes.

what part of that don't you understand, Mr. " dual " citizen ?

Joker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)

" We have employed a number of non-UK residents on student/post study work visas in the past and these have been converted to Tier 1 when appropriate. Of course these are no longer issued, it has made it much more difficult for employers to take on foreign students, as the Tier 2 route is rather more complicated and convoluted and is by no means a formality. "

" if we feel a candidate is the best for the role but the UKBA either doesn't grant us sufficient cerificates to employ who we want, or candidates' Tier 2 applications are turned down "

Thus indicating the true low probability of a post grad work under the new schemes.

what part of that don't you understand, Mr. " dual " citizen ?

Joker.
    Even I can see that that is all about how things are at the moment and none of it is about the scheme that is coming in next year :rolleyes: Is your English really that bad or are you deliberately trying to wind people up?

What a tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    Even I can see that that is all about how things are at the moment and none of it is about the scheme that is coming in next year :rolleyes: Is your English really that bad or are you deliberately trying to wind people up?

What a tosser.

Even I can see that that is all about how things are at the moment

Yeah right ! wtf is that ?

Who's tossing now eh ?

ReputationRep:
    hahah

ReputationRep:
    " The end of the PSW visas should make life easier for tier 2 list employers - as long as the person they want to employ is in-country, on a student visa and the job is paying more than £20k a year. No more labour market test and no more nonsense with certificates "

Look at this total load of C##p.

What the F relevance is it if employers are outright banning application which the applicant does not already have a WP ??

Ie) they don't want to apply for WP whatever tier - Test or no test, money or no money, certificate or no certificate.

Any cursory search will show that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I'm assuming this was for me. if so, thanks. I don't mind trying to help people and the insults from the obvious troll (wannabe Brit?! ) don't bother me. I'm really hoping that the UK Government finalises the remaining issues soon (as outlined in IndiePixie's post, and there may be others too); then the universities and recruiters can openly publish their responses / guidance to the new scheme, which would enable prospective students to make informed choices about which country they want to pursue their education in.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen anything where the recruiters have made any comment on the new scheme. The current system is a total hassle as the recruiters often will leave internationals til last and only deal with their applications if they can't get a UK/EU applicant for the post. I know some people with great grades who ended up taking ****e PSW jobs just to stay in the country after graduation.
    It doesn't matter if you yourself haven't heard anything about what recruitors think about the new system. I just posted that I contacted 5 recruitors from some of the biggest firms in the UK and was told the same thing by all of them - that the new system causes them to look more unfavorably than before on foreign applicants. I would love it if this were not true, but that is what they have all told me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is your English really that bad or are you deliberately trying to wind people up? What a tosser.
    In fairness, I think it is a language issue.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if you yourself haven't heard anything about what recruitors think about the new system. I just posted that I contacted 5 recruitors from some of the biggest firms in the UK and was told the same thing by all of them - that the new system causes them to look more unfavorably than before on foreign applicants. I would love it if this were not true, but that is what they have all told me
    Post the extracts from the e-mails that say that the new visa regulations that are due to come into effect in April 2012 will cause them to look unfavourably on international students, as all you have posted so far refers to tier 2 under the current system (which everyone agrees is convoluted and not a formality).

I don't mind trying to help people
    You're clearly insane. The benefits culture and open door immigration policy is killing this country - I'd be on the next plane out if I had the right to live and work in the US.

(Original post by IndiePixie)
    In fairness, I think it is a language issue.
    Whatever :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.