Turn on thread page Beta

Post-Work Visas Cancelled watch

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who had not tried applying for job before do not seem to realize that getting a job in any country is difficult if you do not have a visa that gives the permission to work in that country yet.

Previously, this was served by the PSW .. and now such a route does not exist anymore. This is not to say that getting a job through the T2 is impossible, because at least the government gave a concession to make it easier for graduates (no labour market test). Nevertheless, all things being equal, companies would more often than not prefer someone who already have a working visa as opposed to someone who does not.

If I have the PSW, I would be in a position to say to HR, 'yeah, i already have a working visa and am good to start anytime'. Now I wouldn't be able to say that anymore. This is what they meant when they said they wanted just the brightest and the best to remain. Bright and best enough that employers would be willing to go through the hassle of sponsoring visa for you.

In my humble opinion, I am in decent position to speak about this because, hey, i actually worked before .. as an immigrant in another developed country. If things do not work out in the UK, I can always pack up my bags and leave to other countries where my skills are more desirable. Not being able to remain in the UK after graduation is not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginger_beer)
    A lot of people who had not tried applying for job before do not seem to realize that getting a job in any country is difficult if you do not have a visa that gives the permission to work in that country yet.

Previously, this was served by the PSW .. and now such a route does not exist anymore. This is not to say that getting a job through the T2 is impossible, because at least the government gave a concession to make it easier for graduates (no labour market test). Nevertheless, all things being equal, companies would more often than not prefer someone who already have a working visa as opposed to someone who does not.

If I have the PSW, I would be in a position to say to HR, 'yeah, i already have a working visa and am good to start anytime'. Now I wouldn't be able to say that anymore. This is what they meant when they said they wanted just the brightest and the best to remain. Bright and best enough that employers would be willing to go through the hassle of sponsoring visa for you.

In my humble opinion, I am in decent position to speak about this because, hey, i actually worked before .. as an immigrant in another developed country. If things do not work out in the UK, I can always pack up my bags and leave to other countries where my skills are more desirable. Not being able to remain in the UK after graduation is not the end of the world.
    That's an interesting perspective.

I was never too sure about the PSW because there was no certainty that it would convert to a leave to remain. As a 2 year work permit that in theory allows you to work anywhere, it sounds like a great deal. However, I know many highly skilled people who have not been able to get graduate jobs with the PSW as employers seem reluctant to invest in training and development people that may not be able to stay beyond the 2 years; the PSW to tier 1 (general) conversion has gone and the tier 2 (general) route is complicated (certificates of sponsorship, shortage occupations list, salary, higher qualifications).

I'm already in the UK but I won't graduate until well after 2012 so I will be affected by whatever the new system is. If it is the case that the new system will give us a straightforward route from student visa to unrestricted tier 2 visa then that sounds like an improvement, although it would put the pressure on us to apply for jobs early and to target the large scale recruiters just to give ourselves the best odds of success. I think it is still too early to be certain on graduate recruitment though as the universities and employers are still waiting for clarity on the new system from the policy makers.

Ultimately, like you, I will go where my skills and education are valued. I would like to stay for a year or two after graduation but I am not so attached to the UK that I would do anything to stay here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)

You're clearly insane. The benefits culture and open door immigration policy is killing this country - I'd be on the next plane out if I had the right to live and work in the US.

Whatever :rolleyes:
    The same US with the Black-half-Muslim-liberal president and Mexicans making up to 50% of some of the states ?

ReputationRep:
    hi!! can anyone help me with my dilemma?
    i am a recently graduated chemical engineer, with an experience of about 8 months. I wish to pursue msc management and have offers from aston, cass , imperial in the UK upon which i have to make a decision by 29 april 2011. however, I have interviews scheduled with more celebrated schools like hec paris, escp europe and em lyon( for msc management course grande ecole ) around 8 may.
    so, my dilemma is this: considering the content of the previous posts, and dismal job prepositions for the international students shud i go ahead and confirm any of the UK schools, or wait fr the french univ. interviews? can someone suggest me a course of action??
    moreover, can anyone give me some insight about the graduate scheme, which some posters have previously suggested?
    the dilemma is complicated by the fact that if I chose to wait a year and observe the impact of new UK visa rules, I would have experience greater than 2 years...which would make me eligible for the MBA course, rendering the msc management chances bleak. i am terribly confused, any help is appreciated.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shar_lavanya)
    hi!! can anyone help me with my dilemma?
    i am a recently graduated chemical engineer, with an experience of about 8 months. I wish to pursue msc management and have offers from aston, cass , imperial in the UK upon which i have to make a decision by 29 april 2011. however, I have interviews scheduled with more celebrated schools like hec paris, escp europe and em lyon( for msc management course grande ecole ) around 8 may.
    so, my dilemma is this: considering the content of the previous posts, and dismal job prepositions for the international students shud i go ahead and confirm any of the UK schools, or wait fr the french univ. interviews? can someone suggest me a course of action??
    moreover, can anyone give me some insight about the graduate scheme, which some posters have previously suggested?
    the dilemma is complicated by the fact that if I chose to wait a year and observe the impact of new UK visa rules, I would have experience greater than 2 years...which would make me eligible for the MBA course, rendering the msc management chances bleak. i am terribly confused, any help is appreciated.
    thanks
    Hi shar,
    do you have to pay a deposit when you accept the offers? if not i would advise you to accept them and also wait until you get a decision on the other schools in france.

It is common for postgraduate students to accept several offers and you can back out at a later date. I have accepted 3 offers for example and I will see first which modules I will get into, if i get on campus accomodation etc... before I will make my final decision.

IF you have to pay a deposit when you accept, I would speak to the graduate admissions office and ask them to give you more time. Maybe you could also speak to the French universities and ask them to make a decision a few days earlier?

Do you have any chance of getting a work permit if you go to a French university?

ReputationRep:
    I remember something I read from the Home Affairs Committee report:

New Zealand: post-study visa for 12 months after graduate
    Canada: post-study visa for as long as your study, maximum 3 yrs
    Australia: post-study visa for 1.5 yrs
    Germany: student visa can be extended for 1 yr to look for job
    French: temporary residence permit for 6 months. If find a well-paying job in related field to ur study, then switch to employee visa (admittedly, hard)
    USA: practical training visa for 12 months
    UK: 3 to 4 months of the remaining time in student visa :eek:

My advice for post-study visa as of now? Go to canada or australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leonie01)
    Hi shar,
    do you have to pay a deposit when you accept the offers? if not i would advise you to accept them and also wait until you get a decision on the other schools in france.

It is common for postgraduate students to accept several offers and you can back out at a later date. I have accepted 3 offers for example and I will see first which modules I will get into, if i get on campus accomodation etc... before I will make my final decision.

IF you have to pay a deposit when you accept, I would speak to the graduate admissions office and ask them to give you more time. Maybe you could also speak to the French universities and ask them to make a decision a few days earlier?

Do you have any chance of getting a work permit if you go to a French university?
    hi leonie...thank you for the advice
    the french univ. are ranked higher in the ft rankings, so hopefully i myt be able to find work and subsequently a work visa....but nonetheless, that aside, which of the above univ. would you recommend??

ReputationRep:
    Any new development?

ReputationRep:
    yes .. less students coming to the UK, as predicted

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools...415_661713.htm

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows if the changes are affecting Scotland? or if Scotland is to adopt its own scheme? like the Scottish Fresh Talent Scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Scotland is affected too personally i'm in glasgow, so this is kind of sad news to me ..
    I knew about fresh talent before i was even aware of the UK Post-study visa

Anyway, Fresh talent is gone for now. It's very hard to speculate at this moment whether it would return. The Scottish government definitely appears to be willing to push for a Fresh Talent visa to be reestablished in Scotland, but whether they can do it or not remains a question ..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.