Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hello tsr! right, here's the thing: i think i might have developed facial tics?! it started a few months back where... it's hard to explain, but every now and then the underneath of my chin felt sort of weird and i felt like i had to flex/clench (sorry, hard to explain!) the muscles of my chin and neck for a second or two to sort of "balance it out" again. without me really noticing it though, this has gone from "every now and then" to basically every 10 seconds.

the other day my mum told me to stop doing it because it makes me look special haha but i just feel like i can't stop it! when i don't do it, i feel all weird and uncomfortable until it gets too much and i have to. and that's not all, for the last week or so i've been twitching/contorting my mouth a tiny bit every few seconds too.

people are starting to notice and it's really freaking me out because i just feel like i can't control it it doesn't really happen while i'm talking to someone but if i'm just sitting down or even walking, it happens constantly. are these tics? how do i stop doing this?!

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like the devil is trying to take over your soul. Consult a holy man immediately.

(Original post by Harry.C)
    This sounds like the devil is trying to take over your soul. Consult a holy man immediately.
    lol

but seriously though, what can i do about this?! anyone? bueller?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    delete or keep anon please!

hello tsr! right, here's the thing: i think i might have developed facial tics?! it started a few months back where... it's hard to explain, but every now and then the underneath of my chin felt sort of weird and i felt like i had to flex/clench (sorry, hard to explain!) the muscles of my chin and neck for a second or two to sort of "balance it out" again. without me really noticing it though, this has gone from "every now and then" to basically every 10 seconds.

the other day my mum told me to stop doing it because it makes me look special haha but i just feel like i can't stop it! when i don't do it, i feel all weird and uncomfortable until it gets too much and i have to. and that's not all, for the last week or so i've been twitching/contorting my mouth a tiny bit every few seconds too.

people are starting to notice and it's really freaking me out because i just feel like i can't control it it doesn't really happen while i'm talking to someone but if i'm just sitting down or even walking, it happens constantly. are these tics? how do i stop doing this?!

It sounds like you have got into the habit of doing it - you say its been going on for few months - is that everyday?
    It's worth seeing your doctor about.

(Original post by Holamigo)
    It sounds like you have got into the habit of doing it - you say its been going on for few months - is that everyday?
    It's worth seeing your doctor about.
    i'm not sure how frequent it was at first but it's been at the point where it's every day for the last couple of weeks at least. i would feel really stupid about going to the doctor about this though, i can't see him doing anything other than saying "well stop then!". i feel i'm making a bit of a fuss over nothing really, but it is really annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i'm not sure how frequent it was at first but it's been at the point where it's every day for the last couple of weeks at least. i would feel really stupid about going to the doctor about this though, i can't see him doing anything other than saying "well stop then!". i feel i'm making a bit of a fuss over nothing really, but it is really annoying!
    Could be neurological, could be habit.
    Could be an ion deficiency/imbalance such as of potassium. Do you have a reasonable diet?

go GP, they won't tell you to just stop.

ReputationRep:
    Botox it.

I've had a facial tic for years (excessive blinking), and no doctor could really explain how to get rid of it. Recently I've tried hypnotherapy, and it's actually beginning to work. I'm not completely rid of my tic, but after a few weeks it has definitely improved.

I downloaded the audio from HypnosisDownloads.com. I have it on my mp3 player and listen to it each night before bed.

ReputationRep:
    im in a really stressful job atm and have developed a really bad one... my eye hurts so much because of it and i cant seem to make it stop :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.