Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having listened to Rihanna's S&M track be censored "chains and whips excite me" etc on Radio 1, I noticed that this song wasn't at all. If you listen to or read the lyrics, surely these are much worse?

Take a look:

"Infect me with your love and
    Fill me with your poison"

That might be just my dirty mind (or what I expect from Katy Perry songs), but how about:

"Take me, ta-ta-take me
    Wanna be a victim
    Ready for abduction"

That's a rape fantasy, surely? If Rihanna's been censored for merely singing being chained up and whipped during sex (completely consensual), then why not Katy Perry's rape fantasy by an alien with toxic sperm? If I were to choose which was more messed up, it'd be the latter.

What do you think?

Edit: Kanye doesn't help much either:

"Tell me whats next? Alien sex.
    Imma disrobe you
    Then Imma probe you
    See I abducted you
    So I tell you what to do"

That gets played out in full on Radio 1 too (maybe not the 'alien sex' bit, but the rest definitely)

ReputationRep:
    I think you have far too much time on your hands.

ReputationRep:
    Yea i can see your point actually but i think its just because there are no specific words that you can censor out like abduction isn't the same as chains or whips, but yea the meanings are all so sexual!! its not just because of dirty minds lol but i love this song <3 :eek: x
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i didn't really think about it til i read this haha!

ReputationRep:
    try listening to some marilyn manson lyrics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikoghoo)
    I think you have far too much time on your hands.
    You're on here too...

At first I found the lyrics funny, they're just so blatant. Then, remembering Rihanna, it just seemed odd that that stuff would get through the censors, they even changed S&M's name to 'Come on' I think. It might be because Katy Perry's been into Radio 1 more often?

Just to give an image, what must Katy and Russell get up to in the bedroom?

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or is this song just really ****ty?

ReputationRep:
    It's a double entendre though. The song title, and the nature of the lyrics are about aliens, so in the simplest sense those lyrics are literally about being abducted. Now the song obviously isn't about aliens, it's about a guy, but even so, I don't see anything to do with rape, I'd say it's more about the guy taking her into his arms. I see where you're coming from, but the ambiguity means that the meaning is left down to the listeners. She hasn't mentioned a 'rape fantasy' anywhere in those lyrics, you've just interpreted it like that.

Rihanna's song on the other hand is explicitly about S&M, which is why it was censored. Bit stupid IMO, but there you go, it's just how these things work.

ReputationRep:
    It's because the sexual reference in KP's song isn't explicit, whereas the reference to violence in R's song is xx

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually thought about it that much. Its a catchy song and I quite like it. The album version without kanye west is so much better. kanye destroyed what was already a good song. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    It's because the sexual reference in KP's song isn't explicit, whereas the reference to violence in R's song is xx
    I've just heard it again, and Kanye definitely says this bit in full:

Imma disrobe you
    Then Imma probe you
    See I abducted you

That's explicit, isn't it?

For those of you who didn't notice the lyrics, is that some sort of subliminal brainwashing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I've just heard it again, and Kanye definitely says this bit in full:

Imma disrobe you
    Then Imma probe you
    See I abducted you

That's explicit, isn't it?

For those of you who didn't notice the lyrics, is that some sort of subliminal brainwashing?
    I don't think it's explicit in the same way as referring to whips & chains etc though. Saying the word 'sex' doesn't make it explicit, and the rest of it isn't overt.. xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's explicit in the same way as referring to whips &amp; chains etc though. Saying the word 'sex' doesn't make it explicit, and the rest of it isn't overt.. xx
    I'd have thought Katy Perry's wishes to be abducted, infected and poisoned coupled with Kanye's wishes to have alien sex with her by disrobing and probing her would be seen as even more explicit than Rihanna's

I suppose Rihanna's fantasies are more realistic, and hence more influencing, than Katy Perry's, but I still think it's odd to allow Katy Perry's to be that uncensored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I'd have thought Katy Perry's wishes to be abducted, infected and poisoned coupled with Kanye's wishes to have alien sex with her by disrobing and probing her would be seen as even more explicit than Rihanna's

I suppose Rihanna's fantasies are more realistic, and hence more influencing, than Katy Perry's, but I still think it's odd to allow Katy Perry's to be that uncensored.
    The point is - which is going to be clearer to underage kids? After all, music is generally censored for their protection. xx

ReputationRep:
    The point is - which is going to be clearer to underage kids? After all, music is generally censored for their protection. xx
    I'd have thought kids would hear "Chains and whips excite me" and think she's just a bit crazy and scary - a bit like a Disney villain. Censoring stuff that, if googled, would set off even the most lax of parental controls makes sense (say, "S&M whips and chains", though that particular search has been flooded with the the relatively tame results for the song - not that I know what the results were before :ninja:), but things with a clear other meaning would be fine. Katy Perry is stating that she wants to be abducted and poisoned, whilst an alien has sex with her (all uncensored!). I'm not saying Rihanna's shouldn't have been censored, just that Katy Perry's should have been too. S&M could just be some evil witch's song in Cinderella or something, but ET has only one interpretation in the form (with Kanye) it is played on the radio.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love this song! I prefer the Kanye version than the original.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the song- without kanye!

But I'm interested to know who is singing for the first 30 seconds of the mv?!

ReputationRep:
    The kanye version takes away her meaning of exotic love for a foreigner (russel brand)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    The album version without kanye west is so much better. kanye destroyed what was already a good song. :mad:
    couldn't agree with you more

ReputationRep:
    The difference is, with this, if you get 8 year old girls singing the lyrics, as far as they're concerned, it is about an alien abducting them, but with Rihanna, she explicitly says things, rather than implies them...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.