Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Subjects taken:
    AS Level -
    OCR Biology
    OCR Business Studies
    and OCR ICT NVQ3 (2 year course) - equivalent to 1 A Level.

November time I get the choice of taking my Biology exam early in January, I wasn't to keen on getting a high pass at that moment in time, bare in mind I got told I can just do it again in May time. So I thought if I can try it out and see what its like knowing i'll not get a very good grade that the opportunity is there in May time. I explained the situation to my Biology teacher and she understood and said if the grade I get in January is U/E not to worry from it as I have May time to do it again.
    Also I had a business exam in January which I was taking. (had no objection in taking it)
    ICT - (no exams a 2 year course - working at a merit/distinction atm)

January time comes, I take both exams, I knew after my Biology exam that I would defiantly be sitting it again in May time as I completely screwed up in it (fail)
    Business exam went down alright (which is what I thought. .)

I let my teacher know about the Biology exam and it was understandable how I felt I did I would be taking Unit 1 and 2 in May.

Results come in March -
    Biology (U)
    Business (D)

I wasn't to pleased about my Business result but it was my 'target grade' so my teachers were pleased I achieved it. I asked if I was able to re sit the business exam in May time because I felt I would able to achieve more marks. .
    Business teacher was happy for me to do this.
    I would have a total of 4 exams in May (Biology Unit 1 & 2 and Business 1 & case study)

Last week - 18th March - Friday. - I get told from the Head of Sixth-form that my Business exam got 'quality assurance checked' - my result went down from a 'D' grade to a 'U' from this I was completely shocked as were my teachers, as this has never happened before - a grade dropping down from a E to a U :|
    So the Head of Business Studies has asked for my paper to be sent back to the school so they can go through it, if it works out that I did get a 'U' then I would accept the fact.

So now, my January grades are showing Biology and Business both at U's. -.-
    The Head of the School no longer wants me there as from these results I am predicted failure in May time. The school does progress checks for each unit, it has been showing a consistent pass rate and there was a up and down bit within it - they have used the system to average out from my January exams and these progress checks what I am capable of achieving in May time - shows failure o_O

I explained to the the Head teacher and the Head of sixth form about me having the choice in January to take my exam in Biology early and again in May which they didn't care as they just thought I was capable of achieving a 'U' from the results showing - and I had my explanation for it but they didn't want to take that into account. Also the fact after the January exam in Biology my teacher set up revision classes for the Unit 1 to attend to, I went too all of them and she even told me I had the capability of getting a decent pass in May time. Besides that at home I have been studying/revising for the exams and completing all tasks been set - keeping on track.

Basically, I have been kicked out of school because I am predicted from the school's system I will achieve failure in May time and the Head teacher doesn't want bad status/reputation upon him.

I am student who is willing to try my best and put all my effort into these May examinations but without the opportunity it has completely f**ked my head about. Getting kicked out after 6 months of being at sixth form without showing my capability in the exams in May - FML.

>_________________<

ReputationRep:
    Wow I thought I was the only one who had a bad luck like this but okay
    It’s true I have been ‘kicked out’ school too =( March 10th I had a U in Maths and a C in Business which was shocking for me, but I had the same problem like you! Two days after my head of sixthform calls me and says I am underachieving and this wasn’t my ‘real’ results (bla bla bla..)
    But I literally begged my teacher if I can stay but she didn’t really say so. I am still allowed to continue with my other subjects I took like Art and Photography. I just won’t be signed in and stuff.. and I will have no place next year to continue with A2 =( Why don’t you ask if you can continue with your other subjects until May/June, and apply for a college or another sixthform to do A2! That’s what I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstar19)
    Wow I thought I was the only one who had a bad luck like this but okay
    It’s true I have been ‘kicked out’ school too =( March 10th I had a U in Maths and a C in Business which was shocking for me, but I had the same problem like you! Two days after my head of sixthform calls me and says I am underachieving and this wasn’t my ‘real’ results (bla bla bla..)
    But I literally begged my teacher if I can stay but she didn’t really say so. I am still allowed to continue with my other subjects I took like Art and Photography. I just won’t be signed in and stuff.. and I will have no place next year to continue with A2 =( Why don’t you ask if you can continue with your other subjects until May/June, and apply for a college or another sixthform to do A2! That’s what I did

I tried everything to stay on, even said I would become a 'external' student so if I was to take the exams it wouldn't affect the school's 'stats'. I'm just really f**ked in the head atm. Only option now is looking for an apprenticeship but I would like to get one that will give me the requirements to enter university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texico11)
    This seems pretty ridiculous to me but... It's pretty near the exams anyway at this point I think, so you will have got 85% out of the College at this stage in terms of tuition for your subjects. If you think you can get the grades you want, enter as a private candidate for these May exam. If you achieve the grades you're aiming for, you can then theoretically reapply for this college or at least a different one for the second year I think.
    I looked into this situation, it really sucks for me, on the day I got told I had to leave was the day of my biology experiment (coursework) towards the final grade and without doing this experiment I wasn't able to do biology exam at another place, business I would of been able to I think but its just the fact gaining 1 AS level wouldn't really benefit me

ReputationRep:
    hmmm so what were you actually planning to do in uni? course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstar19)
    hmmm so what were you actually planning to do in uni? course?
    A course in Information Management.

ReputationRep:
    Okay kl ermm why don't you go on a short course, you usually only need one A level and abou 3 GCSE's above a C but how a look at this link.. hope it might help you

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...EMENT&single=N

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.