Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

where do you see yourself when you are 25? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully starting my training contract, renting a nice flat with a lovely boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching English to English hillbillies

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from uni rather young, a few months before I turned 20.... thanks in part to having very Asian minded parents who thought the only thing that mattered for their kids are the final grades. Hence instead of starting in the Fall term, I started out at the summer term went to 2 more summer terms and I also took close to 16-18 credits per term instead of the usual 12-16 which would have classed me as a full time student.

The by 25 aims I hoped to achieve which I made when I graduated :-

1) I wanted to own a BMW M3 and a BMW X5.
    2) I wanted to be a Vice President for the bank I was working for.
    3) I wanted to have either a US Green Card or Citizenship.
    4) I wanted to have a floating house in Seattle (similar to the one in the movie Sleepless in Seattle), a chic apartment in Lower Manhattan and a holiday ranch in Wyoming with at least 50 acres of land that overlooked the Rocky Mountains.
    5) I wanted to have been to all countries between Brazil and Canada in addition to all 50 states in the USA.
    6) I wanted to be pursuing an MBA program at an Ivy League university.
    7) I wanted to meet a girl at that MBA program that came either from Hong Kong or Singapore and of Chinese origin only.
    8) I wanted to be making US$120k per annum.

The reality when I turned 25 :-
    1) I drove a VW Golf MkIV
    2) I was just a puisne manager at the wealth management department of the bank I had started out at. :'(
    3) I was living in Britain and I moved here just 1 year short of being able to qualify for the Green Card
    4) I had the house in Seattle, but I had to sell it. I barely managed to afford a small 2 bedroom flat in Chiswick, hated it as it was small, noisy and I didn't like the neighbourhood it was in. I still keep it today to remind me of the times when I was poor, lived in debt and unhappy.
    5) Made it to all 50 states in USA for business related, only made it to Canada, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina
    6) I got accepted into Princeton for the MBA....... but I couldn't afford it and I was in negative equity so I couldn't afford to even sell up and go.
    7) It was around 25 that I cheating while in serious relationships, not due to distance but because I found it fun. I was dating one American born Chinese girl at that time...... seriously many times it crossed my mind to marry her just for a Green Card........ but then I cheated on her also and she told me to bugger off... was single then for a while
    8) After taxes I made the equivalent of US$78,000 after taxes.... was so broke

Am such a failure

I will be 25 in 6 months. This will also coincide with finishing my masters. Haven't found any jobs to apply for yet so I expect to be moving back home with my parents for a while to earn some money and start to rebuild my savings having returned to uni this past year.

If I have found a job before I turn 25 I shall be very surprised but hoping it won't take too long to find something I want to do. No idea where I want to end up (geographically) but I'm prepared to move around some more, having done that already since finishing my first degree.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Off TSR

ReputationRep:
    hahaha i know exactly what i'll be doing when i turn 25...studying like a mental for my honours exams, though i hope that later on in my 25th year i'll be studying medicine or doing a phd.

Its kinda short notice to find a husband and have kids when theres only 2 months to go...

ReputationRep:
    World leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    I graduated from uni rather young, a few months before I turned 20.... thanks in part to having very Asian minded parents who thought the only thing that mattered for their kids are the final grades. Hence instead of starting in the Fall term, I started out at the summer term went to 2 more summer terms and I also took close to 16-18 credits per term instead of the usual 12-16 which would have classed me as a full time student.

The by 25 aims I hoped to achieve which I made when I graduated :-

1) I wanted to own a BMW M3 and a BMW X5.
    2) I wanted to be a Vice President for the bank I was working for.
    3) I wanted to have either a US Green Card or Citizenship.
    4) I wanted to have a floating house in Seattle (similar to the one in the movie Sleepless in Seattle), a chic apartment in Lower Manhattan and a holiday ranch in Wyoming with at least 50 acres of land that overlooked the Rocky Mountains.
    5) I wanted to have been to all countries between Brazil and Canada in addition to all 50 states in the USA.
    6) I wanted to be pursuing an MBA program at an Ivy League university.
    7) I wanted to meet a girl at that MBA program that came either from Hong Kong or Singapore and of Chinese origin only.
    8) I wanted to be making US$120k per annum.

The reality when I turned 25 :-
    1) I drove a VW Golf MkIV
    2) I was just a puisne manager at the wealth management department of the bank I had started out at. :'(
    3) I was living in Britain and I moved here just 1 year short of being able to qualify for the Green Card
    4) I had the house in Seattle, but I had to sell it. I barely managed to afford a small 2 bedroom flat in Chiswick, hated it as it was small, noisy and I didn't like the neighbourhood it was in. I still keep it today to remind me of the times when I was poor, lived in debt and unhappy.
    5) Made it to all 50 states in USA for business related, only made it to Canada, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina
    6) I got accepted into Princeton for the MBA....... but I couldn't afford it and I was in negative equity so I couldn't afford to even sell up and go.
    7) It was around 25 that I cheating while in serious relationships, not due to distance but because I found it fun. I was dating one American born Chinese girl at that time...... seriously many times it crossed my mind to marry her just for a Green Card........ but then I cheated on her also and she told me to bugger off... was single then for a while
    8) After taxes I made the equivalent of US$78,000 after taxes.... was so broke

Am such a failure
    Its all about you isn't it

ReputationRep:
    Finished my masters in either Physics or Civil Engineering. Hopefully have a job in the city that's hectic, exciting, stressful but well paid! I've always seen myself in a high pressured/stressful job, working late hours. And I'd kinda like it that way.... Also renting an apartment near the Thames. Not even contemplating marriage or kids! Leave that till I'm at least 30.

ReputationRep:
    Being a junior doctor hopefully? :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    Working for VOGUE in New York City, living in an upper-west penthouse, and attending glamourous galas and parties. Hopefully.

#wishfulthinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    I'm already 25 this thread is ageist!
    has your life gone the way you were planning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionboy)
    .......if you want ill visit your funeral
    Seriously? That's so nice, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    i just crapped my pants at the thought that i've only got four years to go and i've accomplished pretty much nothing! bad times..
    would like to be engaged/married, have worked out what the hell i want to do as a job, maybe a baby on the way if not already here... erm i dont know! i dont like to plan the future too much cos then if it doesnt work out you'll just be disappointed!
    Yeah, I'm the exact same, especially the bolded. It's nice to have hopes and goals, but sometimes it's just best to go with the flow .

ReputationRep:
    married, trained in law, not sure what profession yet :L
    children close after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    I'm already 25 this thread is ageist!
    I hear you!

When I was in my teens, I presumed I'd have a great career going (or be famous...haha) by the time I was 25, would have had lots of partners or be in a good relationship...and have my own flat and go on holiday often.

As it happens, I am nearly 23 now, so 25 isn't too far away.... but instead of that above, I still do not have a proper career/job despite having graduated from a top Uni (not sure what I want to do/no decent opportunities either), I have only slept with 3 men (2 one time things but not with strangers and one short relationship, so not much at all really), I am living back at home because I have no steady income and cannot afford holidays yet either.
    Most friends are in the same situation financially. I have other friends who are married/engaged/living together or have kids. It is insane to think back to being kids or teens yourselves and seeing how things are now.

I think it is pointless to try and plan life. Things happen that happen and you are who you are because of them! I just hope good things are still to come too!

ReputationRep:
    celebrating the 8th anniversary of this question

ReputationRep:
    These things are hard to predict.

I am currently 21, living in Amsterdam, working as a trader, renting a flat and building a social circle.

In four years time I hope to be single, probably working for the same company, not necessarily in the same city and with more regular, competitive activities on the weekend. Maybe a homeowner and maybe having founded a philanthropic organization.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.