Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

where do you see yourself when you are 25? watch

ReputationRep:
    Dead

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll either be doing or just completed a postgrad in history or international development, with a view to working for an NGO of some sort. Relationship wise, I'd like to be in a stable, long term relationship, possibly engaged or married.

I'm aware this is very idealistic, and it's fairly likely that this won't happen by 25, but I think I have the drive to at least make the former happen, the second is probably less in my hands.

ReputationRep:
    2nd year of being a foundation doctor maybe getting married.

ReputationRep:
    I never try to predict the future and try to keep my hopes simplistic because I always feel disppointed when my dreams never happen
    anywho, so by the time i'm 25, i'll be exactly where i am i guess

ReputationRep:
    2nd year of being a foundation doctor maybe getting married.
    pretty much the same really... hope to have my own apartment in london, and thinking about settling down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    I will be 25 in 6 months. This will also coincide with finishing my masters. Haven't found any jobs to apply for yet so I expect to be moving back home with my parents for a while to earn some money and start to rebuild my savings having returned to uni this past year.

If I have found a job before I turn 25 I shall be very surprised but hoping it won't take too long to find something I want to do. No idea where I want to end up (geographically) but I'm prepared to move around some more, having done that already since finishing my first degree.
    We're in a similar situation, just finished my MA and turned 25 a couple of weeks ago. Just trying to decide whether to take the PHD route or try to find a graduate job. Although I wish I had a flash car and my own place I don't think i've done too bad. As funding gets harder and jobs fewer you've just got to try as best you can to achieve what you want.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... Doing a residency in a hospital, living in a flat somewhere, a boyfriend would be nice but I don't expect to me married or have children at that point.

ReputationRep:
    Working as a Producer or Writer after my Placement at the BBC & hopefully moved out of my parents' house. I might go on a course with the OU to get a degree... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I see myself as:

Completed postgrad degree, been working for 2-3 years in the Banking Sector, decent salary, decent car, bachelor pad, enjoying life....with no intention of getting married or settling down as yet

...but thats 7 years away

I'll probably be dead

ReputationRep:
    2nd year of Clinical Psychology PhD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    No you're not, you're just a couple of years behind. Life isn't a race. At 25, it's not about having everything you want, it's about being on the right track, moving in the right direction. You seem to be on the right track, it's just taking a little longer than you expected to get the promotions, salary and possessions you want. The only bit that seems not on the right track is the relationships, and while that can change in an instant, you probably want to work on how you see monogamy and women in a relationship if you want to end up in a relationship.
    Heh.... one would have failed if one doesn't meet their target... life a race? Well time and tide waits for no man.

(Original post by shinytoy)
    if you are over 25, is this where you hoped to be in life?

When I was 20, I had just graduated then I made the following aims to achieve by 25.

1) I wanted to own a BMW M3 and a BMW X5.
    2) I wanted to be a Vice President for the bank I was working for.
    3) I wanted to have either a US Green Card or Citizenship.
    4) I wanted to have a floating house in Seattle (similar to the one in the movie Sleepless in Seattle), a chic apartment in Lower Manhattan and a holiday ranch in Wyoming with at least 50 acres of land that overlooked the Rocky Mountains.
    5) I wanted to have been to all countries between Brazil and Canada in addition to all 50 states in the USA.
    6) I wanted to be pursuing an MBA program at an Ivy League university.
    7) I wanted to meet a girl at that MBA program that came either from Hong Kong or Singapore and of Chinese origin only.
    8) I wanted to be making US$120k per annum.

Way past 25, I mentioned in another post where I failed to achieve most of it.

However after that life did take a fairly good turn for me. Reality today in relation to what I hoped to achieve by 25 :-

1) I don't really like BMWs any longer, don't even like to drive all that much.... especially hate having to find a place to park, very much prefer being driven around.... these days my wife drives me around, even on our wedding day she was the one who drove the wedding car. But having said that I do hope to buy an Aston Martin and a few classic cars to collect..... but it won't be happening any time soon.

2) The bank I was working for almost went into bankruptcy due to the sub-prime crisis in USA. But having said that I did enjoy my time there and made plenty in bonuses and perks... especially when I was posted to China and Hong Kong, but above all the experience from there was well worth it and even more worth it was the "golden handshake"... allowed me to pursue a 2nd degree as I was thinking of going into law, but then I found a very good job with a Swiss owned financial institution... love it every bit.

3) A US Greencard or Citizenship... it has somewhat become a pointless dream.... and the reality of it is if I do go back to USA today I doubt I would be in a position that would be any better than where I am today.... in any case if I were to leave Britain now, I'd rather go to Asia

4) The floating house in Seattle, apartment in Lower Manhattan and ranch in Wyoming.... somewhat happy I never managed to get around buying that apartment in Lower Manhattan or the ranch in Wyoming.... these days the value of a property is dependent upon how much a foreclosure sells for at auction. Still would love to have a floating house in Seattle though, but most of them are owned by very wealthy people these days and they never seem to sell it.

Having said that after I was 25 I started investing in real-estate for profit... the years of stock and commodity market rallies all over the world, cheap and easy credit did help a lot.... and access to foreign credit made it even better. Any capital I had, I would quickly look for real-estate to buy, as long as the location was good, had access to public transportation and in the catchment area of a fairly good school I would snap it up... would then refurbish it or if it's big enough sub-divide it into several flats... some I sold on, some I held on to rent them out. I never really saw real-estate as something to get attached to or sentimental about...... just another means of making money and I had a target of 2 property sites per annum. But then came the economic crisis...... and I took a "golden handshake", had 8 property sites then... had to offload 4 of it... thankfully after offloading the 4, I managed to settle the debts on the remaining 4.

I have 3 other properties which I keep as separate from my property investments. Each of them I keep them for various reminders. But may have to sell 1 of them soon as I need capital again.

5) TBH, when I envisaged travelling all over the Americas, I expected to do it in rugged backpacker style...... these days my idea of a holiday is a trip to a nice luxury spa resort in the Alps... travelling, well I hope to but my wife doesn't want to fly or travel out of Britain and she doesn't allow me to go for holidays on my own.

6) I could have gone to USA for that Ivy League MBA... but during the time I was applying for it, it was also the onset of the financial crisis and many MBAs were somewhat out of focus and I wasn't really interested to continue on in the financial industry... hence opted for law school instead..... I suppose I could have chosen to have gone to a better school, I had a few modules done at Birkbeck... I could have started out at Year 2 at various red-brick universities, could have started from scratch at Durham, but Aberystwyth gave me the option of finishing it within 1 year.... took it... though it's a crap school but the time there was worth it.

Later on, I decided law wasn't really for me as I could not see myself doing it for the reasons I thought I wanted to do it. Hence went back to banking and I got sponsored to an MBA..... it's free with a contractual bond upon completion... quite satisfied with how it's turned out for me.

7) I met Miss Right on Move In Day at Aberystwyth She isn't the petite Chinese girl from Singapore or Hong Kong I had planned on, she is way better for me than the usual ones I was normally after.

8) I'm happy with what I make now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Heh.... one would have failed if one doesn't meet their target... life a race? Well time and tide waits for no man.

When I was 20, I had just graduated then I made the following aims to achieve by 25.

1) I wanted to own a BMW M3 and a BMW X5.
    2) I wanted to be a Vice President for the bank I was working for.
    3) I wanted to have either a US Green Card or Citizenship.
    4) I wanted to have a floating house in Seattle (similar to the one in the movie Sleepless in Seattle), a chic apartment in Lower Manhattan and a holiday ranch in Wyoming with at least 50 acres of land that overlooked the Rocky Mountains.
    5) I wanted to have been to all countries between Brazil and Canada in addition to all 50 states in the USA.
    6) I wanted to be pursuing an MBA program at an Ivy League university.
    7) I wanted to meet a girl at that MBA program that came either from Hong Kong or Singapore and of Chinese origin only.
    8) I wanted to be making US$120k per annum.

Way past 25, I mentioned in another post where I failed to achieve most of it.

However after that life did take a fairly good turn for me. Reality today in relation to what I hoped to achieve by 25 :-

1) I don't really like BMWs any longer, don't even like to drive all that much.... especially hate having to find a place to park, very much prefer being driven around.... these days my wife drives me around, even on our wedding day she was the one who drove the wedding car. But having said that I do hope to buy an Aston Martin and a few classic cars to collect..... but it won't be happening any time soon.

2) The bank I was working for almost went into bankruptcy due to the sub-prime crisis in USA. But having said that I did enjoy my time there and made plenty in bonuses and perks... especially when I was posted to China and Hong Kong, but above all the experience from there was well worth it and even more worth it was the "golden handshake"... allowed me to pursue a 2nd degree as I was thinking of going into law, but then I found a very good job with a Swiss owned financial institution... love it every bit.

3) A US Greencard or Citizenship... it has somewhat become a pointless dream.... and the reality of it is if I do go back to USA today I doubt I would be in a position that would be any better than where I am today.... in any case if I were to leave Britain now, I'd rather go to Asia

4) The floating house in Seattle, apartment in Lower Manhattan and ranch in Wyoming.... somewhat happy I never managed to get around buying that apartment in Lower Manhattan or the ranch in Wyoming.... these days the value of a property is dependent upon how much a foreclosure sells for at auction. Still would love to have a floating house in Seattle though, but most of them are owned by very wealthy people these days and they never seem to sell it.

Having said that after I was 25 I started investing in real-estate for profit... the years of stock and commodity market rallies all over the world, cheap and easy credit did help a lot.... and access to foreign credit made it even better. Any capital I had, I would quickly look for real-estate to buy, as long as the location was good, had access to public transportation and in the catchment area of a fairly good school I would snap it up... would then refurbish it or if it's big enough sub-divide it into several flats... some I sold on, some I held on to rent them out. I never really saw real-estate as something to get attached to or sentimental about...... just another means of making money and I had a target of 2 property sites per annum. But then came the economic crisis...... and I took a "golden handshake", had 8 property sites then... had to offload 4 of it... thankfully after offloading the 4, I managed to settle the debts on the remaining 4.

I have 3 other properties which I keep as separate from my property investments. Each of them I keep them for various reminders. But may have to sell 1 of them soon as I need capital again.

5) TBH, when I envisaged travelling all over the Americas, I expected to do it in rugged backpacker style...... these days my idea of a holiday is a trip to a nice luxury spa resort in the Alps... travelling, well I hope to but my wife doesn't want to fly or travel out of Britain and she doesn't allow me to go for holidays on my own.

6) I could have gone to USA for that Ivy League MBA... but during the time I was applying for it, it was also the onset of the financial crisis and many MBAs were somewhat out of focus and I wasn't really interested to continue on in the financial industry... hence opted for law school instead..... I suppose I could have chosen to have gone to a better school, I had a few modules done at Birkbeck... I could have started out at Year 2 at various red-brick universities, could have started from scratch at Durham, but Aberystwyth gave me the option of finishing it within 1 year.... took it... though it's a crap school but the time there was worth it.

Later on, I decided law wasn't really for me as I could not see myself doing it for the reasons I thought I wanted to do it. Hence went back to banking and I got sponsored to an MBA..... it's free with a contractual bond upon completion... quite satisfied with how it's turned out for me.

7) I met Miss Right on Move In Day at Aberystwyth She isn't the petite Chinese girl from Singapore or Hong Kong I had planned on, she is way better for me than the usual ones I was normally after.

8) I'm happy with what I make now.

dayyyum....how comes could you do all that? like roughly how old are you now? you must be like 35 at least, cos theres no way a 25-30 year old could do all that. and on that basis i think it is a bad comparison to everyday bog standard 'just graduated dunno what to do maybe i should TEFL abroad for a year' 25 year olds

ReputationRep:
    I'll almost certainly be working as a maths teacher somewhere (depends on if I'm still with the same guy and where he gets a job - if not, then I'm in London), hopefully with some kind of house of my own (a flat, or a house or whatever, just a place that I know I'll be for a few years that's MINE). Writing in my spare time. Maybe do some OU german, or get an actual maths degree.

Honestly, I just want to be settled and done by then, I'm getting so bored of all the mystery the future holds, not being able to say anything with certainty in case it goes wrong

ReputationRep:
    Living with my boyfriend (hopefully we will have saved enough over the next 5 years to do so!), just completed a Masters and hopefully in a job that pays OK.

ReputationRep:
    if i'm still alive, have a nice rented flat and a stabale job paying enough to get me by, no idea relationship wise, would like a girlfriend by then but it is unlikely

ReputationRep:
    Probs building my way up as a psychologist but I'll be very early on in my career considering I would've just finished uni three or so years ago!! Hopefully married (but probably not) and planning for kids/ already pregnant with one.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably be married with a child and working. I'll see myself being happy with my life.

ReputationRep:
    Elysium.

ReputationRep:
    Happy
    Don't want to plan too much
    Just go with the flow

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.