Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Easterhouse, Parkhead East End, Gorbals and Govan. West end has its bad areas as well though.
    I thought the West End was the safe end? East End was the place to avoid, along with South of the Clude (Sorry on spelling, that river)

(Original post by Nalced)
    Places not to live in, Glasgow.
    This would've been funny if this was the first time this joke was ever used.

The West End is definitely one of the more affluent districts within Glasgow City Centre, but it still has its bad areas. Maryhill can be quite dodgy. The Clyde front is a recent development, but it can still be pretty rough, especially if you move down towards and past the Scottish Exhibition Centre. Area around Parkhead is absolutely dreadful, I would avoid the area, but 10 more minutes in the car and you're outside the city limits of Glasgow and in the pretty decent areas of Uddingston and Cambuslang.

(Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Yeah, and if you don't have a car and want a social life and access to decent shops and pubs, etc, then you won't go anywhere near Uddingston or Cambuslang.
    Funny that, because both places have train stations that allow you to get into the city centre in 15 minutes.

Anyway, I'm rarely in Glasgow now. I stay in St Andrews for uni.

Yes, and what time is the last train back? Probably not much later than midnight, which rules out a decent night out without paying £20-30 on a taxi.

Trust me, I lived in Baillieston for the first 3 years of uni in Glasgow and had to take the train in to uni every day until I got my car. The train was a nightmare because I had to be back for the last train home, etc. Then I got my car, and was paying through the nose for fuel and getting stuck in traffic.

Now I'm slightly further out in Chapelhall/Airdrie, and things are even worse.

By FAR the best option is to live within walking distance or, at most, subway distance from the Uni - an option I'll be putting into practice from this summer onwards.
    Yeah, the night out thing is a bit of a pain (I'm from East Kilbride), but I always end up being able to crash at a friends, meaning that I could share a taxi and pay a contribution towards the overall cost. Thankfully because I live in St Andrews, I don't need to travel to get to the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutini)
    It does, it's called the John Anderson Campus, all the accommodation and lecture theatres are there.
    Ohh, I just thought it didn't have a campus at all because a lot of the uni is kind of mixed up with other buildings in the centre, i.e royal college building is across from the road from the city chambers etc....

ReputationRep:
    here son yer getting some good adivce oan here so a wid pay heed tae it.

a wid avoid the east end masel big yin. ye might hink am a snob but am urnae really. am fae the east end born and bred and ma maw and da still live doon there and a no how things work doon there. in fact a went doon tae visit them just last week and a decided tae walk it doon well long story short a got jumped by the Calton tongs and am now sporting a big ****off blackeye. dont worry tho ave enquired to who the ***** wer and lets just say when the time is right the troops will be round up and the samurai sword will be getting dusted doon if ye catch ma drift.

but aye big man ye really want tae avoid the east end unless yer no bothering aboot getting in square go's 24/7. anytime a head back doon fur a pint wae ma mates a always end up banjoing some cheeky **** in the boozer and its definitely no ma fault as am never in any bother when kicking aboot up the west end.

ReputationRep:
    The first place that came to mind when I read the title wad Easterhouse.

Then bailleston and parkhead. Like others have said stay in the west end or the city centre. You'll be nearer the uni and the clubs and the likes.

ReputationRep:
    Haha wow, really is a small world, my closest friend lives on Miller Street pretty much overlooking the back of the police station in Baillieston, just around the corner from where you grew up.

And it's true how people talk up parts of Glasgow, especially the East End, I don't know about the areas around Baillieston so much, but people are always telling me the 62 and N62 are awful awful buses in terms of the loons on them, but I've had more trouble on just about every other bus other than the that one, despite it being the one I get the most (and incidently, it runs till about 4am at the weekends so you were wasting money if you got a taxi back in your youth, even now the last bus passes Kelvin hall at about 0040)
    Though that said, Baillieston is that far out east it pretty much misses the bad areas of Glasgow, it's the same with the southside, it's pretty crappy till you get past Shawlands, though the Arden/Nitshill/Barrhead area is a bit of a dump too

ReputationRep:
    Wow guys thank you so much everyone, you practically gave me a little city map!

I guess I'll just try to stay in the west end if possible and not too expensive. Do you think it will be easy to find some students to share a house/apartment with?

Unfortunately I can't start looking for accommodation right now because the uni hasn't accepted my request yet (probably they haven't received it yet and never will, thank you Poste Italiane)

ReputationRep:
    Baillieston is nowhere near as bad as Parkhead and Easterhouse.
    I'll give you that but I still wouldn't live there lol.

Bailleston is the only place I know from experience because my mum owned a salon there.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, Glaswegians tend to revel in the reputation we have, and sometimes we like to play up to it and exaggerate events in order to make it seem like we're hard as nails.

I know I do it with Easterhouse.
    In North Ayrhshire well the part Im from nothing happens. I live in Kilbirnie but Irvine Kilwinning are rough

(Original post by emiazz)

I guess I'll just try to stay in the west end if possible and not too expensive. Do you think it will be easy to find some students to share a house/apartment with?

Unfortunately I can't start looking for accommodation right now because the uni hasn't accepted my request yet (probably they haven't received it yet and never will, thank you Poste Italiane)
    Bound to be loads of students looking for a flatmate. There are Caledonian and Strathclyde students to take into account as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiazz)

shouldn't be too hard, look on gumtree

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! Im an italian student from florence and i will move to glasgow next september..I was about to post the same question so thanks for the infos!!

ReputationRep:
    I used to live in the city centre, I was mugged twice. Not to put you off, but like any massive city, you only need to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to fall into mishap, whether its in the centre or anywhere else. If its affordable you want, then Dennistoun or southside would be the cheapest, the streets can be a little rough but I'd imagine its generally fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel1987)
    I used to live in the city centre, I was mugged twice. Not to put you off, but like any massive city, you only need to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to fall into mishap, whether its in the centre or anywhere else. If its affordable you want, then Dennistoun or southside would be the cheapest, the streets can be a little rough but I'd imagine its generally fine.
    Do you want me to get some boys from the gorbals to come through and get your **** back? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Do you want me to get some boys from the gorbals to come through and get your **** back? lol
    It was several years ago, I imagine the £30 in my wallet has long been spent on smack.

ReputationRep:
    I've literally just found a flat with my friend in Glasgow. We were originally looking at the city centre, but after realising how much money we actually had for rent, we had to look a wee bit further afield. We're going to be staying in a really nice flat in Dennistoun, it's just off Duke Street and I haven't heard anything majorly bad about it. Obviously it's like any area, if you're not careful then you're more likely to get yourself into dangerous situations.

ReputationRep:
    Dennistoun is pretty bad...

I wouldn't live there.
    Really? I've done a bit of research, and it doesn't seem that bad. We've had a wander about the area where the flat is and had a chat with our landlord who lived in the flat for 4 years and, well, she's still alive. :P: Like I said before, I'm aware that there are rough parts just like every city, but if you keep your wits about you then you're likely to be just fine. Plus, it's only a 20 minute walk from the city centre. And since the hospital is close, then at least if I get stabbed then an ambulance can get me fairly quickly. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why most of your answer is "avoid east end"?
    There are some places that's good as well in east end. And they're definitely cheaper than west end. I live in Cumbernauld Road which is in the east end - near ruchazie, springburn, easterhouse, or what ever names most of yous mentioned above and I'm still alive and live happily and safely with my family. And yeaahh.. Dennistoun is not bad at all mate! Make sure it's Dennistoun and not Haghill.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.