The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Places not to live in Glasgow

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PerigeeApogee
Lol, it's not just Easterhouse... pretty much everywhere in the East End is the same apart from maybe Baillieston/Swinton/Mount Vernon/Garrowhill areas which are relatively quite.

But Barlanark, Parkhead, Cranhill, Carntyne, Ruchazie, etc are all as bad as Easterhouse.

Dennistoun is in the East End and it's lovely! It's full of students, but isn't very handy for someone at Glasgow Uni.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Dennistoun is pretty bad...

I wouldn't live there.

?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sitting in my flat in Dennistoun atm. Across the road is an old lady with some cute puppies. On my walk to work I see children playing in the street, people walking their dogs, old people chatting away. I walk home from work alone in the dark no bother.
Everyone around here we've spoken to is lovely.
Our neighbour gives treats to our dog, the shop keeper always has time to chat.
Alexandra Park is a beautiful park with ducks, fountains, a play park.
There are no drunk neds hanging round street corners, minimal graffiti, no litter.

Don't know where in Dennistoun you've been in mate but it's a beautiful safe part of Glasgow!
It's not such a bad place to live:innocent: :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Popppppy
?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sitting in my flat in Dennistoun atm. Across the road is an old lady with some cute puppies. On my walk to work I see children playing in the street, people walking their dogs, old people chatting away. I walk home from work alone in the dark no bother.
Everyone around here we've spoken to is lovely.
Our neighbour gives treats to our dog, the shop keeper always has time to chat.
Alexandra Park is a beautiful park with ducks, fountains, a play park.
There are no drunk neds hanging round street corners, minimal graffiti, no litter.

Don't know where in Dennistoun you've been in mate but it's a beautiful safe part of Glasgow!

Hmm, although the area where you stay and a lot of other students stay is fairly nice dennistoun on the most part is pretty dodgy. And for someone like op that doesn't know the area very well it's probably best they stick to the more reputable areas.
Reply 64
Hi guys,

I'm law student originally from Thailand. I'm 24 and going to study LLM at Universtiy of Glasgow. But now I can't find where to live yet and totally have no idea about life in Scotland, especially in Glasgow. As my concerns are about dangerous areas in Glasgow and the responses of Scotish people towards Asian students, does anyone have any idea for me?

Another thing i'd like to know, Has anyone ever heard about the Unite student accommodation named Gibson Street? Is it a good place in a safe area?

All advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you.:smile:
Original post by cowsforsale
woodlands, partick, byers road, kelvinbridge, parts of maryhill are all good.

Avoid areas like gorbals, govan, east end, sighthill, possil, possilpark etc...

You'll be fine, don't worry. I thought most ERASMUS students lived in private accommodation.

Isn't Murano right next to the Possilpark? Why is it dangerous there? I'm staying at Murano and I wouldn't like to get into any trouble :redface:
Original post by Tarn_Brown
Hi guys,

I'm law student originally from Thailand. I'm 24 and going to study LLM at Universtiy of Glasgow. But now I can't find where to live yet and totally have no idea about life in Scotland, especially in Glasgow. As my concerns are about dangerous areas in Glasgow and the responses of Scotish people towards Asian students, does anyone have any idea for me?

Another thing i'd like to know, Has anyone ever heard about the Unite student accommodation named Gibson Street? Is it a good place in a safe area?

All advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you.:smile:

Gibson Street is great if you can afford it. Very close to Uni too. Just lovely. Do not be afraid of looking for private flats especially if you can afford Unite Gibson Street, then you will be able to afford nice private flats as well.

I am not sure whether you really need to think about dangerous parts of Glasgow. I mean, you obviously want to live as close as you can to Uni. In fact, most parts around the Uni are fine. And again, if you can afford it, city centre is an option too.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you are wanting to stay outside Glasgow preferably south lanarkshire that's fine, most of my family are from places in south lanarkshire including hillhouse, strathaven, hamilton and I lived there years ago, south lanarkshire is a great place to stay in, but the best has got to be Hamilton or strathaven except you can have some rough places like every where else, Hamilton has a college plus a very friendly community, however if you are traveling to Glasgow stay away from springburn, and places that surround it, if you did have kids, It wouldnt be the best idea to leave them alone maybe in the car or other places, anyhow I hope you have fun in Glasgow and I wish you luck :smile:
Original post by courtneyhasswag
If you are wanting to stay outside Glasgow preferably south lanarkshire that's fine, most of my family are from places in south lanarkshire including hillhouse, strathaven, hamilton and I lived there years ago, south lanarkshire is a great place to stay in, but the best has got to be Hamilton or strathaven except you can have some rough places like every where else, Hamilton has a college plus a very friendly community, however if you are traveling to Glasgow stay away from springburn, and places that surround it, if you did have kids, It wouldnt be the best idea to leave them alone maybe in the car or other places, anyhow I hope you have fun in Glasgow and I wish you luck :smile:

For anyone attending the University of Glasgow, they would have to be bonkers to look at South Lanarkshire for a place to stay, from Strathaven to The uni would involve 2 trains, the underground and walk, 90 min journey.
Reply 69
Hey I'm also an exange student.
I have been accepted into Firhill Court University accomondation, but looking it up in the internet it seems to be situated in an area with quite high unemployment.
Is it safe to travel to the university or city centre on foot from Firhill Court (also in the evening?)?
Would you recommend to look for private accomondation in a different place?
Don't worry, the unemployed people aren't going to kill you.
Original post by mrmoep
I have been accepted into Firhill Court University accomondation, but looking it up in the internet it seems to be situated in an area with quite high unemployment.
Is it safe to travel to the university or city centre on foot from Firhill Court (also in the evening?)?

Glasgow is safe, the chances of you experiencing any sort of aggression are very slim, just relax and enjoy it.
Reply 72
Original post by mrmoep

In the city I live in, the area with the highest unemployment has one of the nicest communities I've ever come across with some lovely people. I'm in Firhill for this year as well and I've vaguely explored the area and it really doesn't seem that rough or unsafe. There'll be a lot of students staying in the area as well with Murano Street Student Village right around the corner. I can't speak from experience but I imagine it is pretty safe to walk in the evening, just keep your wits about you as you would in any area at night. :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by mrmoep

Hi, I lived in Firhill Court last year and although the area isn't as affluent as the West End I found it safe enough to walk to the uni and into the city centre and rarely felt threatened even after dark. :-)
Reply 74
I stayed in firhill court last year , the security staff are brilliant and its modern inside. Common sense use buses or taxis at night and avoid going near the canal. Management staff are okay, bonus if you get a view over the football pitch !
Personally I'd stay away from any place within a 5 mile radius of the Shandwick shopping centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wee question moving to fairhill hamilton with my 11 year old son soon am a little worried I have no clue about the area shuld I be worried ??
Reply 77
Original post by U.S Lecce
Ciao emiazz,

I'm from just outside glasgow, so I will try my best to help. Most places in glasgow city centre are absolutely fine to live in, however some area in tradeston, the gorbals, and dennistoun can be a bit dodgy. However having said that the new devlepments in these areas are fine. Most of the west end of glasgow near glasgow uni (kelvinbridge, kelvingrove, kelvinside etc) are absolutley fine to live in aswell. The only areas in the westend that again can be quite dodgy in some areas are, maryhill, some parts of anniesland. The south side of glasgow is in the most part really nice, and is fairly cheaper to stay than the west end and city centre, but is still quite safe. There are some area of the southdside that are still quite rough, however langside, shawlands, mount florida etc are fantastic places to live. Warning though stay away from tory glen!!!!! I would personnaly recommend the south side as it is very much an upcoming place in glasgow and there are lots of students there.
I would advise you to stay well away from anywhere in the east end of glasgow because although there are one or two nice places, for the most part it is rough. And by rough I mean napoli rough! Again north glasgow can be ok, but it's not really for students.
My advice would be to find somewhere in the west end, preferably near glasgow uni, in the city centre (avoiding tradeston, anywhere past trongate, some parts of denniston and the old parts of the gorbals), or the south side, stick to the shawlands, langside, mount florida area. These generally are the areas most students stay in anyway.
Also if you want, you could always try and get student accomodation in one of the private student halls, which are mainly in the merchant city (city centre). Here's the link: http://www.unite-students.com/student-accommodation/glasgow/blackfriars

As for you being an italian in glasgow, well you'll no doubt have no trouble there as there is a massive italian community in glasgow. All ranging from lecce, bari (where my father comes from) to Bergamo and Milan. There is an abundance of italian restaurants (although only a few cook italian food the way you are used to). So don't worry about feeling like a stranger or feel that the locals will be intimidated by you, because they are more than used to italians by now, and have grown to love the italian community.

I would also like to point out that you should prepare yourself for a total change in the quality of food you are used to. Scotland has good cusine don't get me wrong, but the food most of the supermarkets and to some extent the restaurants sell will not be to your standard, especially the italian food shops sell. A small tip, don't buy pizza from pizza hut, dominoes or papa johns, they are not what an italian would call pizza. If you would like a proper authentic pizza try and find a good italian pizzeria, I would recomend the italian kitchen on ingram street and the mediterraneo on ingram street, they both have stone bake ovens and italian pizza chefs.

Anyway, good luck on finding a place to stay and if you want to ask anymore question, quote this or PM me.:smile:

EDIT: I also forgot to mention if you are thinking about living outside glasgow, then don't live in south lanarkshire. I come from south lanarkshire, and I can assure you, it is not a place you want to stay lol.

wow! I lost count of the amount of times I felt offended by your comment, originally being from Maryhill and now living in South Lanarkshire I can hand on heart say neither of these places are bad to live in. Although I am a mere pleb of course, having been brought up in dodgy areas I am liable to "chib" you for saying such horrible things. And to top it off you go and slag our fine cuisine. Disappointed pal :tongue:
I live in Maryhill now and it's fine. Not as nice as the 'west end' (Hillhead/hyndland area) but it's not bad. Never felt as if I was unsafe, but you do meet a few characters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Moving next year with my fourteen year old daughter. What is a good/safe/cheap area to live in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending