Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    @ddub: I know a lot of people said avoid Gorbals, but New Gorbals is excellent imo, lived there 2 years, it's only going to get better as well, due to renovation.

Anyway pros and cons of New Gorbals.

Pros
    -Good for families as there are two primary schools.
    -No high rises, so less crime
    -No pubs (could be con, but I think it's good to seperate pubs from residential areas, well in some cases anyway)
    -Nice library
    -Good access to public buses, straight to city centre (also one goes to East Kilbride, which has a college and is a nice area, just FYI I suppose)
    -Nearby college campus
    -Police station right in the centre of the residential area
    -Health Centre and pharmacies in good areas
    -A nice butcher place!
    -Mid range letting and buying prices

Cons
    -Surrounded by crappy areas unfortunately, such as the old Gorbals which you're hearing about up there. This is by far the worst thing about New Gorbals.
    -No shops except a co operative, which is ****e and needlessly expensive, that might change soon however, and I think they're building something nearby
    -No secondary school nearby
    -No railway and no subway

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is not safe. If you are there, leave. As soon as you step within its boundaries you will be stabbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiseBath)
    @ddub: I know a lot of people said avoid Gorbals, but New Gorbals is excellent imo, lived there 2 years, it's only going to get better as well, due to renovation.

Pros
    -No pubs (could be con, but I think it's good to seperate pubs from residential areas, well in some cases anyway)
    -Nice library
    -Good access to public buses, straight to city centre (also one goes to East Kilbride, which has a college and is a nice area, just FYI I suppose)
    -Nearby college campus
    -A nice butcher place!

Cons
    -Surrounded by crappy areas unfortunately, such as the old Gorbals which you're hearing about up there. This is by far the worst thing about New Gorbals.
    -No shops except a co operative, which is ****e and needlessly expensive, that might change soon however, and I think they're building something nearby

Bridge street subway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennB96)
    Bridge street subway?
    I suppose it's near for some people, but for most it's a 15 minute walk at least, and it's not in New Gorbals, also you have to walk into a shady area to get there. That's why I didn't really mention it.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's near for some people, but for most it's a 15 minute walk at least, and it's not in New Gorbals, also you have to walk into a shady area to get there. That's why I didn't really mention it.
    I've been down and around Norfolk court and along to bridge street subway at night and I was alright, think I might have been lucky though.

Also, where abouts is "new" and "old" gorbals?

ReputationRep:
    I've been down and around Norfolk court and along to bridge street subway at night and I was alright, think I might have been lucky though.

Basically the chunk of Gorbals that's been renovated, so the bit within Caledonia Rd, Laurieston Rd and Ballater St, sans a few bits here and there towards the river, but that square generally is all new, and well designed. Old is everything else that's in the Gorbals, so the bit near Bridge Street onwards to the west, and the bit by the river, all a bit rubbish with bad layouts.

ReputationRep:

Though I say New Gorbals is all sunshine, but see that tower block across from the Citizen's Theatre, that's getting knocked down, which is good on one hand, because it's a badly designed mess, but bad because I'm worried where the folk living there are going, as far as I know it's the riverside area, but there is a lack of low cost housing, which is silly, and not thought out.

ReputationRep:
    Though I say New Gorbals is all sunshine, but see that tower block across from the Citizen's Theatre, that's getting knocked down, which is good on one hand, because it's a badly designed mess, but bad because I'm worried where the folk living there are going, as far as I know it's the riverside area, but there is a lack of low cost housing, which is silly, and not thought out.
    I think that tower block you're talking about is Norfolk Court, so that's new gorbals? Where's old gorbals? Bridge street station is really close to Norfolk court.

ReputationRep:
    Basically the chunk of Gorbals that's been renovated, so the bit within Caledonia Rd, Laurieston Rd and Ballater St, sans a few bits here and there towards the river, but that square generally is all new, and well designed. Old is everything else that's in the Gorbals, so the bit near Bridge Street onwards to the west, and the bit by the river, all a bit rubbish with bad layouts.
    Oh I see

ReputationRep:
    I think that tower block you're talking about is Norfolk Court, so that's new gorbals? Where's old gorbals? Bridge street station is really close to Norfolk court.
    Sort of, but no, it's about to be basically, the flats down south a bit from there have been newly built, as in, a couple of months ago, like I said it's getting knocked down and presumably replaced with those new style flats. Not sure what's going North of Ballater St, they just built that college campus, but they're building something else, dunno what it is, a Morrisons or something like that, it's been like that for years.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, but no, it's about to be basically, the flats down south a bit from there have been newly built, as in, a couple of months ago, like I said it's getting knocked down and presumably replaced with those new style flats. Not sure what's going North of Ballater St, they just built that college campus, but they're building something else, dunno what it is, a Morrisons or something like that, it's been like that for years.
    I don't go around that area so much so I only know a bit of it, I'm more familiar with Balornock/Barmulloch. I want to get to know all of Glasgow though.

ReputationRep:
    So why u dont like us if u doing job which u dont want? And we not failed, we know thos very well and we are ok with that. Whats te problem? Some polish break your heart or what? ;D

ReputationRep:
    I've lived on Oxford Street for just over a year now and it's been fine, I was worried about the area when I first moved there. The only trouble I've had is a car break-in but I guess that could happen anywhere in the city. It's about a minute walk to the 'red bridge' and less than five min walk to St Enoch. And just a short walk across the road to Bridge Street subway.

I only ever walk North into the city, never had a reason to walk South or into the other areas that I've heard bad things about (to the West and into Tradeston). Again just keep your wits about you and you're fine. I sometimes see 'dodgy' people hanging around the Spar that's on the corner of Bridge Street/Oxford Street so I usually avoid walking that way. During the day it's absolutely fine though.

Norfolk Court has just been demolished and they're regenerating areas around where I stay so it feels like the area is improving.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by emiazz)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm from northern Italy and hopefully I'll spend next year in University of Glasgow studying Economics! (Erasmus).

Since Erasmus students don't get good opportunities with uni accommodations, I'm looking for a private one.
    But I heard that there are some dangerous areas in Glasgow (especially for a foreign guy), and I wouldn't like to live there!

So could you please tell me which are the areas I should avoid?
    If you think that there are other reasons why I should avoid some areas, besides criminality, please let me know!

Thank you!
    Hi there,

I saw you were looking into private accommodation and you were concerned about safety! Well we have a great site In Glasgow that I think would be perfect for you, the rents are from £130 and we have a great team on-site that would help you with anything you should need. We get a lot of students from overseas so you certainly wouldn't be alone! If you want to take a look the link to our website is http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-stud...laremont-house . I hope this helps! If you have any questions or just want some advice let me know

Amelia x

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have 5 mounts before we move to Glasgow (my husband and I), we are from Croatia, so I would like to know does Scottish people except foreigners or it's the same like in England?
    Now we live now in Portsmouth and of the most part of England...they don't like us, foreigners.

Then we would like to live in some quite street 10-15 minutes walk from city centre!
    Can you tell me some good streets there ?
    I like to buy lots in Primark so maybe some streets close to Primark

I'm a health support worker, so is there any good privat nursing and residental home?

Any suggestion is welcome

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am planning on relocating to Scotland and want to live on the outskirts of Glasgow. I don't mind being half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I am a little fussy as to where I live. I want to be near a leisure centre, church; nice shopping areas and nice scenic walks for my dog. It's important that there is a medical centre and hospital not too far away as my daughter as arthritis & needs to be under pain management teams. I have a friend who's family live in Edinburgh. They have mentioned places like Livingston, Lesmahowgo. Are these places OK & is there much life there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michellescotts)
    Hi, I am planning on relocating to Scotland and want to live on the outskirts of Glasgow. I don't mind being half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I am a little fussy as to where I live. I want to be near a leisure centre, church; nice shopping areas and nice scenic walks for my dog. It's important that there is a medical centre and hospital not too far away as my daughter as arthritis & needs to be under pain management teams. I have a friend who's family live in Edinburgh. They have mentioned places like Livingston, Lesmahowgo. Are these places OK & is there much life there?
    The Eastern outskirts of Glasgow are about the least 'scenic' places in Scotland in my experience. The area in between Glasgow and Edinburgh was a major centre of natural resource extraction and so it has an industrial landscape with a reputation as being full of run-down post-industrial towns. I'm sure there are some nice places though if you look for them. I've never been to Livingston but I would describe it as a kind of Scottish Milton Keynes: it's a very spacious 'new town' with plenty of services: a hospital, a big American-style outlet centre and various parks. I don't know that it's much of a cultural centre however.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi - hope you don't mind me butting in here. I must confess I am slightly biased as I am a former student of Glasgow University and I had an amazing time here, moving from far away was a big culture shock but one that was an amazing opportunity. Of course Glasgow is a big city like any other that requires you to be savvy and streetwise but you'd be hard pushed to find a friendlier city in Scotland.

If safety at university is a worry, as it naturally is for some students, a small student accommodation building can be a good way to combat this. I work at Bridge House, a 128 bed student accommodation site managed by Fresh Student Living. A mixture of studios and 6 bed flats, we are only 10 minutes walk away from campus and with staff on-site and staff available 24/7 it's a great home away from home if any of you are worried about living on your own in a strange city for the first time. At Fresh and at Bridge House we really go out of our way to get to know our residents and make them feel welcome and part of a community, helping them get to know and love Glasgow.

If this sounds like something that appeals, why not look at our website: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/

Lilith
    Bridge House Senior Customer Service Assistant

ReputationRep:

Pros
    -Nice library
    -Nearby college campus
    -A nice butcher place!

Cons
    New Gorbals and 'Old Gorbals' are the same place. Its just a new name from the housing association when they regenerated the area. Every council home in the Gorbals is managed by New Gorbals Housing since they took over from GHA. Theres no difference, its just bullsh*t to make the area sound more desirable due to its 'notorious' reputation. 'Old' gorbals is not in the crappy surrounding areas its one area ranging from Bridge St to Oatlands. There are also 6 high rise flats left, Waddell Court and Caledonia Rd. I have lived in the area all my life as have three generations before me. If you are still living here and dont like the 'Crappy Old Gorbals' then suggest you move as you are living in it 'WiseBath' 😂😂😂 Oh and P.S the tavern and the piggy are the best pubs mate, you may have been aware of them had you known the area.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.