Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sup population.

What are everyone's views on boarding school.? I currently go to one and quite like it but have the choice of becoming a day pupil next year. What would you all do? Live with parents and have freedom or live away from parents with friends but only be allowed out till 5pm on weekdays and 10pm on selected Saturdays?

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to live at home because living away from home is a huge step and one that I only felt ready to do when I went to university. Although it'd be nice to have friends around you constantly and no distractions stopping you from doing work.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a boarding school in Leicestershire, and I loved it.
    It really does make dramatic (but positive!) changes to your personality and work ethic.

I came out a happier and more confident person, which literally allowed me to get jobs because I'm more social.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I'd prefer to live at home because living away from home is a huge step and one that I only felt ready to do when I went to university. Although it'd be nice to have friends around you constantly and no distractions stopping you from doing work.
    It's not always that black and white though. I've boarded for two years and i quite like having my friends around as they aren't always a distraction. But for GCSEs it was better and we could all help each other, I'm the only one in my boarding house doing the IB Diploma which requires concentration and hard work, and the other lads in my house'll be messing around during work hours. It's a really hard decision. I used to love working at home as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiee)
    I went to a boarding school in Leicestershire, and I loved it.
    It really does make dramatic (but positive!) changes to your personality and work ethic.

I came out a happier and more confident person, which literally allowed me to get jobs because I'm more social.
    I KNOW! i used to let people walk over me and play it off but now i'm more able to speak my mind i'm worried all this will become undone by moving back with parents

ReputationRep:
    I go to a boarding school but am a day pupil - I actually work harder at school than at home so for me it was a good move

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum)
    I KNOW! i used to let people walk over me and play it off but now i'm more able to speak my mind i'm worried all this will become undone by moving back with parents
    It doesn't.

I moved back home and started Worcester Sixth Form around 6 months ago, my confidence is even higher.

But there are other variables such as whether your parents are incredibly strict and put you down a lot, and the escape from that has relieved the stress?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't.

I moved back home and started Worcester Sixth Form around 6 months ago, my confidence is even higher.

But there are other variables such as whether your parents are incredibly strict and put you down a lot, and the escape from that has relieved the stress?
    I used to live near Worcester! (Off Topic but meh)

Kinda like that, but my parents are getting better. They understand sort of that i'm nearly seventeen and don't need protecting as much as i did when i was younger but they still have a long way to go.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live near Worcester! (Off Topic but meh)

Kinda like that, but my parents are getting better. They understand sort of that i'm nearly seventeen and don't need protecting as much as i did when i was younger but they still have a long way to go.
    Tell me you're not Callum Gould? :P

If you are, we boarded together.

Yeah I had that problem, the best way about it is to show more independance. Do things without them asking you to, working off your own back etc.

Worked for me!

ReputationRep:
    If I'd gone to boarding school with the same people I went to secondary school with, I probably would have killed myself. Never understood why parents want to send their kids there

ReputationRep:
    Tell me you're not Callum Gould? :P

If you are, we boarded together.

Yeah I had that problem, the best way about it is to show more independance. Do things without them asking you to, working off your own back etc.

Worked for me!
    I'm not Callum Gould. i lived in Leominster though if that helps

I can't work though. I'd still attend my school and i go to school 6 days a week. That and doing the IB doesn't leave room for much else.

ReputationRep:
    Ah never mind then ;D

I meant School/College work, if they nag you to do it, try doing it off your own steam and not becuase they told you to. Then they start to ease off in all other aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    If I'd gone to boarding school with the same people I went to secondary school with, I probably would have killed myself. Never understood why parents want to send their kids there
    I chose to go, to get away from parents and "friends"

ReputationRep:
    Ah never mind then ;D

I meant School/College work, if they nag you to do it, try doing it off your own steam and not becuase they told you to. Then they start to ease off in all other aspects.
    i generally used to do work by myself anyway they never had to nag. They're just overprotective.

ReputationRep:
    I chose to go, to get away from parents and "friends"
    I appreciate that some people choose to go there by themselves, I was just referring to parents who want to send their kids there - surely it kind of defeats the point of having children if you just want to send them away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    I appreciate that some people choose to go there by themselves, I was just referring to parents who want to send their kids there - surely it kind of defeats the point of having children if you just want to send them away?
    yeah i get that. a lot of the time it's a lack of a good school nearby or in an overseas posting where the situation demands it

ReputationRep:
    yeah i get that. a lot of the time it's a lack of a good school nearby or in an overseas posting where the situation demands it
    Yeah, I suppose. I would have thought it'd make more sense to check out the schools in the area and move if necessary, before having kids (or before they get to school age). Guess I just don't understand people who have children :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was a day pupil at a boarding school, and I think that while boarding occasionally was fun, if I had done it long term it would have destroyed me. I worked better at home in my room than most people did in supervised "prep" time, and I don't think I could have coped with the gossiping and backstabbing 24/7 if I'd lived there. Sure, my parents annoyed me sometimes, but they have no capacity to be as purely horrible as teenage girls do.

That said, even as a day pupil I was there 6 days a week from 8:30-6:30 so only missed out on evening prep and sleeping really, I was involved in pretty much everything else that went on in our house. I guess if your day pupils spend less time at school or are more segregated from the boarders it might be different.

And don't forget boarding is bloody expensive - think of what else your parents could spend their money on if not your boarding fees

ReputationRep:
    Is the bullying situation in boarding schools better than in state secondary schools?

I went to a state school, it was awful. If I ever have children I really hope I can afford to pay for their education.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a state school and work at a private school.
    It's sometimes a bit weird hearing 'Oh yes, Mummy will be dining with the [insert title here] of [insert town here] tonight' but I've gotten used to it. If my parents had had a bit more £ I could well have been a privately educated student anyway.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.