Turn on thread page Beta

Girls - what do you think of kilts? watch

ReputationRep:
    i luv kilts!!! in red tartan! but if your gonna wear one you gotta be a true scotsman!

but if your really against it talk to the bride/groom and ask them about it! x

ReputationRep:
    I think you will look rather smart and will leave many of the women guessing about whether you're wearing any underwear. :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    Kilts are hot. Especially if the guy has muscly legs :drool:

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you have to be careful which tartan you pick, since different tartans are associated with different clans... but I say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, the girls love it outside of Scotland; in Scotland itself, it's become a bit... passé. Everyone's doing it now, including the chavs. And for the love of God, don't get your **** out in a hired kilt - that's just gross.

Although I own one, I'm probably a bit anti-kilt. I had to wear one at school quite a bit and at ceilidhs and so forth, so the novelty value has worn off somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    They're hot if you do it right and you're actually Scottish. English men wearing them is just weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm attending a wedding in Scotland next month and I've been informed that almost all the men there will be wearing kilts. I'm really against the idea of wearing one myself. I'm not Scottish after all. I have been thinking of buying a suit, perhaps a silvery grey colour, I'm just worried people there might find that a bit effeminate.
    My brother-in-law is scottish and at his and my sister's wedding I wanted to wear a kilt but he said no as his family might get offended as i'm not scottish. Each tartan is individual to the clan the person's from and if you go to scotland in a kilt as abit of a joke you're taking the piss out of their heritage. (but after meeting his family they probably wouldn't have cared I think you should go for it.)

ReputationRep:
    For a Scottish wedding it would be a sign of respect to wear the traditional garb. Rent a kilt for about 40 pounds, jacobite shirt, sporran, and socks included, and get a generic tartan like Scotland Forever.

ReputationRep:
    May it be a windy day :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    For a Scottish wedding it would be a sign of respect to wear the traditional garb. Rent a kilt for about 40 pounds, jacobite shirt, sporran, and socks included, and get a generic tartan like Scotland Forever.
    Interesting - my experience suggests otherwise. Quite a few of my Scottish friends get really pissy when non-Scots wear kilts, especially if they do it wrong in one way or another.

Anyway, OP, if you don't feel comfortable in one, I'm sure you won't be the only man in a suit at the wedding. And if you do get one, wear some undies unless you really want to end up flashing to lots of drunk girls who decide to test who really is a true Scotsman :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Interesting - my experience suggests otherwise. Quite a few of my Scottish friends get really pissy when non-Scots wear kilts, especially if they do it wrong in one way or another.

Anyway, OP, if you don't feel comfortable in one, I'm sure you won't be the only man in a suit at the wedding. And if you do get one, wear some undies unless you really want to end up flashing to lots of drunk girls who decide to test who really is a true Scotsman :rolleyes:
    Doing it wrong merits a bit of abuse, true, but unless they're complete anglophobes no one should bother.

Last time I wore a kilt I made the mistake of not going true Scotsman- I paid for that by having a drunken lassie actually tear down my boxers in the middle of the party. Good times.

ReputationRep:
    My advice, try to wear a kilt as it might be one of the only times you do! Might as well experience it once!

Try Houston Kiltmakers too, always go there when I need to hire, guys are brilliant to deal with and would help you out no bother!

http://www.kiltmakers.com/contact.asp - contact details

Best,
    Darren

ReputationRep:
    Def go for it, its not that big a deal and kilts can be sexy

ReputationRep:
    If you show up in a suit you'll stand out and then you'll be teased for going against tradition. You may come across as a bit 'holier than thou'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.