Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fare dodging train - Liverpool to Manc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I don't want to pay the train fare today from Liverpool to Manc. Which train should I get? On the Northern Rail service they stop at near enough every stop on route, I have gotten this train before and don't think they bother checking tickets because they stop every few minutes. Anyone else have this experience?

Also, is it legal to board a train without a ticket? I mean I have plenty enough but have heard recently that they are cracking down. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digimon)
    Hey, I don't want to pay the train fare today from Liverpool to Manc. Which train should I get? On the Northern Rail service they stop at near enough every stop on route, I have gotten this train before and don't think they bother checking tickets because they stop every few minutes. Anyone else have this experience?

Also, is it legal to board a train without a ticket? I mean I have plenty enough but have heard recently that they are cracking down. thanks.
    Tough ****.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you need a ticket to get out of the station though?

ReputationRep:
    It;s not illegal to BOARD the train without a ticket as you may have a valid reason (such as not being able to buy one in time).

As for hopping the train, you'll want to get First Travel trains. They don't have separate ticket officers, only drivers. So if the stops are short they won't come round as the don't have time.

Try and sit in the MIDDLE of the entire trin, meaning you're the furthest point from both cabins, and be asleep!

Ticket officers don't wake you up if they think you're asleep, so get a hat or glasses, pull it over your eyes and slump down with ear phones in

ReputationRep:
    Just because it stops often doesn't mean there won't be an inspection.

If you're small you could hide behind a bag in the luggage rack as the inspector goes past. I know someone who does this all the time, though it depends on your ability to convince others to not tell the inspector (she has big boobs & so has no problem in this aspect).

Or you can say you have no money, get kicked off at the next station, then get on the next train to come along. This is slow as hell, but can work, though it can also end in a fine or two if you're unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    3 words

just sleep dude

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't worth dodging train fares

ReputationRep:
    The Liverpool to Manchester train is pretty much impossible to dodge unless you hop the barriers on platform 7 over into 1-6 where the train normally is because there's a barrier there. That and when you get off in Manchester there's usually another barrier/guy checking tickets there.

Secondly, they can and will wake you up if they're checking tickets. To be frank, it's miles easier getting a rail card and paying the 8-10 pounds return.

ReputationRep:
    Just pay the fare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digimon)

Just drive or take the bus.

I find it ridiculous that it takes the train over 1 1/2 hours to get from Manchester to Liverpool. Just drive- it is better takes 20-30 minutes.

Last time, I took the train- it was £25. Pricey!

You'll get to Manchester, there'll be ticket inspectors at the doors at the end of the platform and you'll be landed with a £50 fine. I guarantee it.

ReputationRep:
    how would you dodge the barrier men/ticket inspectors-whatever theyre called

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Just drive or take the bus.

I find it ridiculous that it takes the train over 1 1/2 hours to get from Manchester to Liverpool. Just drive- it is better takes 20-30 minutes.

Last time, I took the train- it was £25. Pricey!

What? It takes me to get to Liverpool from Manchester 40 minutes maximum....

ReputationRep:
    They're on to you fare-dodging Scousers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiee)
    Ticket officers don't wake you up if they think you're asleep, so get a hat or glasses, pull it over your eyes and slump down with ear phones in

I get woken up, even if I'm genuinely asleep!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    What? It takes me to get to Liverpool from Manchester 40 minutes maximum....
    Which service was this?

I drive now. I remember the train service from Picadilly to Lime Street taking up to 1 1/2 hours and costing me £25. I was thinking this is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    hide in the toilets? would be the most depressing train journey evaaah though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    I get woken up, even if I'm genuinely asleep!!
    Act like you're a heavy sleeper, they wont rigorously shake you around for a £2 ticket.

ReputationRep:
    If you really can't afford it, buy the ticket from a machine that looks like this:

Here, you put in anyting between 1p to £2 and you can board a train. If the ticket inspector comes, you'll have to present the ticket and he'll sell you one at full price minus what you paid at that ticket machine. If s/he doesn't come, you don't have to pay for the journey unless there are ticket barriers at the station you arrive to in which case, you have to pay it there.

Personally, i'd just advise you to pay the full fair. It's fair dodgers that partly make train companies get into losses meaning they put the price up for the rest of us making it less and less affordable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    You'll get to Manchester, there'll be ticket inspectors at the doors at the end of the platform and you'll be landed with a £50 fine. I guarantee it.
    not true you get caught you just 'explain' that you rushed on and haven't seen a ticket inspector to buy a ticket i do it all the time 7/10 i don't get caught n when i do i pay normal price

don't see why i should pay to go to a dump like Manchester anyway just cause i want to see a band there seriously its almost as bad as London

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.