Turn on thread page Beta

Fare dodging train - Liverpool to Manc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting on at Lime Street it's kinda hard to dodge the fares.. I get on that train at Broad Green sometimes on my way home from uni and get off at Huyton- and they never check tickets until then. But to be honest, it the fare really worth risking a £1000 fine over?

They let you pay on the train as well I think though, so you could just do that.

ReputationRep:
    Hide under the seats or in toilet.

Or try to travel when the trains packed because then there won't be an inspector or late evening because they usually leave the ticket barriers open.

ReputationRep:
    It's not even £10 to get from Liverpool to Manchester, grow up and pay the fare like everyone else has to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    You'll only find those in a Penalty Fares area (West Midlands, East Midlands, Bristol, London).
    You don't even get those in London anymore, pretty sure they took them all out. Permits to travel used to be the way to go, shot to nothing on whether the barriers would be manned..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    You don't even get those in London anymore, pretty sure they took them all out. Permits to travel used to be the way to go, shot to nothing on whether the barriers would be manned..
    That's true, they put ticket vending machines in instead, too many people were getting 5p journeys

There are a few left around Birmingham though.

ReputationRep:
    theyll catch you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-9lQs9BBHc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    Its difficult to dodge the inspectors on the train, there are lots of them and sometimes ticket inspectors when you get off the train.

It's not worth risking a fine for a few quid.
    I got from Durham to London without being checked, and the barriers were open at Durham. Unfortunately I'd already bought the ticket.

On the East Coast main line they don't even check everyone's tickets, they just ask for tickets from the last station. So as long as you either don't start from the end of the line or buy a ticket to the first station, you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Some friends once convinced me to buy a child ticket because "it's cheaper and they never check anyway" and the **** sold the ticket to us, then called ahead to the other station and told tales on us.
    Got off the train and BAM, cornered by a scary conductor man who shouted at us and we all got a £20 fine.

Apparently it puts the prices up for everyone else too if you do that :/ I feel quite bad now because my act of rebellion at sixteen contributed to the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Tesco's self checkout ftw . I did it by accident and then intentionally a few times. It's impossible to get caught; atleast for them to prove you intentionally didn't scan said items (especially when u have headphones in :confused:)
    That's not what Richard Madeley and Stuart Hall found at their local supermarkets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    That's not what Richard Madeley and Stuart Hall found at their local supermarkets.
    Lol that's Judy's other half. He is a proper fruit-cake though. He probably didn't even use a bag hahaha

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.