The Student Room Group

Boots summer placement and others, inc pre-reg

I was wondering if anyone doing pharmacy applied to the boots summer placement? I just received an email from them saying that I have a summer placement offer in strand, which I didn't expect as people said that often you get offers later than that. Plus, as I'm in the 3rd year, if you do not get a summer placement in the 3rd year, you are unlikely to get a pre-reg place. I am soooooooooo happy and relieved.
Good luck to anyone waiting to receive offers from boots or any other summer placement jobs. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Well done. You can get a pre-reg if you don't do a summer placement but they prefer people that have done the placements in the past. Boots pre-reg salary is a pisstake anyway.
Kingspharm
Well done. You can get a pre-reg if you don't do a summer placement but they prefer people that have done the placements in the past. Boots pre-reg salary is a pisstake anyway.

Thats what I thought. £16k is what tehy get paid to take on a pre-reg, so it's like they're just getting you for free. The pre-reg there when i was doing the 2 month "GATEWAY TO PRE-REG" thing last suumer seemed to be treated just as an extra dispenser.

Having said that, the experience was valuable and has helped lots with the dispensing modules i'm doing this year. And the £200 a week in pays is alright too i suppose :-D
Reply 3
Yeah, I have applied for the Boots summer placement in my local town.... hope I get it. I did choose one of the priority locations so i dont know if that means i have more chance of getting in or not..

*touch wood*
Reply 4
when did u apply?
Reply 5
Erm... about 2-3 weeks ago..
Reply 6
theepw
Erm... about 2-3 weeks ago..

*EDIT: Just got an e-mail now saying I have been accepted on the program. :smile:
Reply 7
theepw
*EDIT: Just got an e-mail now saying I have been accepted on the program. :smile:

Well done! Where are you working?
So, other people are getting replies too... It's so weird because it was only a few weeks after applying. Not that I'm complaining. Last year the were very poorly organised with the applications apparantly.
hey i got in as well...i got a placement sumwhere in east london....and i only applied on deadline day!!!!

i was surprised they gave it as im a first yr and thought i would probably have less chance than others
Reply 9
liverpool111
hey i got in as well...i got a placement sumwhere in east london....and i only applied on deadline day!!!!

i was surprised they gave it as im a first yr and thought i would probably have less chance than others

Lol, in my first year, we weren't reminded of the deadline date, so many of us ended up rushing it big time 1 or 2 hours before the deadline. Needless to say I didn't get in then.
But 300 places are offered to students in each year-1st and 2nd, and 600 places are offered for 3rd years.
Reply 10
Xenon
Well done! Where are you working?
So, other people are getting replies too... It's so weird because it was only a few weeks after applying. Not that I'm complaining. Last year the were very poorly organised with the applications apparantly.

I am working in the Southend branch. I am really chuffed because it is so near me. I am very grateful of this opportunity.

Btw, Did you saying that only 300 students in the first year get offered summer placement with Boots???

(if so, thats an amazingly small number, and I am damn lucky to get it. Phew!)
We got told (well I didn't cause I didn't go to the talk but I heard), that even as third years, we'd only be guaranteed 50% dispensary work ... the rest could be anywhere else in the store.

My friend spent most of her second year placement this summer working on the perfume counter.

Eek, not trying to put a dampener on things - but just so you know like.

I never really know what to think of boots. I think it's a bit like marmite, people either love it or they hate it.
Reply 12
-Emmz-
We got told (well I didn't cause I didn't go to the talk but I heard), that even as third years, we'd only be guaranteed 50% dispensary work ... the rest could be anywhere else in the store.

My friend spent most of her second year placement this summer working on the perfume counter.

Eek, not trying to put a dampener on things - but just so you know like.

I never really know what to think of boots. I think it's a bit like marmite, people either love it or they hate it.

lol, oh dear. If that happened I would complain to be honest. Because the whole reason this summer placement program is done is to prepare you for the pre-registration. If you are not learning any Pharmacy skills in practice then its pointless...

Because I got an e-mail from Boots telling me I had been accepted on the course and that I would have a personal tutor type person. So I presume I will be taught Pharmacy skills rather than being stuck on a perfume counter. But if that really was the case, then I think thats a disgrace.

If that does happen to me, then I dont think Boots will be for me, and I will probably seek a summer placement elsewhere in year 2 if that does turn out to be the case. But I cant see that happening to be honest, the women who came to our Uni did a talk about the work we will be doing if we actually do get accepted.
when replying to the email...and accepting...do we just type 'I accept' or do we paste the whole statement in as well ie "i accept the offer of employment...."etc
Reply 14
liverpool111
when replying to the email...and accepting...do we just type 'I accept' or do we paste the whole statement in as well ie "i accept the offer of employment...."etc

You might as well copy and paste the whole statement. I've got to wait till monday to send my reply as my current employer (whowill be one of my refs) won't be back till then.
Do we have to send off that contract thing (which was added as an attatchment) signed as well?
-Emmz-

Boots just treat students as cheap labour to cover their staff's holidays by the sounds of things... :rolleyes:

-Emmz-

:laugh: Can you guess which camp I'm in? :smile:
Reply 16
What's the usual pay for Boots summer placement? I've got mine written down as £7.40 per hour. Is that good orbad?
Reply 17
Xenon
What's the usual pay for Boots summer placement? I've got mine written down as £7.40 per hour. Is that good orbad?

Blatant discrimination based on store!!!! I have only been offered £6.10 an hour! :mad:

(although to be honest, at the time I thought £6.10 was quite good....)
Reply 18
theepw
Blatant discrimination based on store!!!! I have only been offered £6.10 an hour! :mad:

(although to be honest, at the time I thought £6.10 was quite good....)

Strand is central londonish though isn't it?
i got offered £6.47.....may b they differ btween 1st and 3rd yr students

Latest

Trending

Trending