Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richrr)
    Wow what a ridiculous exam, perhaps the hardest Ive ever had to battle through.

I need 87 UMS marks to get onto my Chem eng Degree. How many proper marks will this be?
    chem eng fella! I vouch you

ReputationRep:
    Its interesting. I reckon ive come across everything before, but I wasn't expecting a graph like that. I thought it was odd that we had to look at that graph and use it to work out half lifes and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heatheroink123)
    That's what I did too, but I wrote a load of other workings out that I thought could possibly be relevant, so I'm hoping I've picked up some marks there.
    I think i added a few bits, but no i dont think i'll be getting the marks for that one.

(Original post by Heatheroink123)
    It wasn't about the paper being difficult, it was the lack of time to do it all in! I don't know about anyone else, but when I feel like I haven't got much time, there's added pressure, more mistakes, lots of rushing and feeling like ****. I mean for the tangy sweets one and the buffer one, I'm usually quite good at those types of questions but the panic of it all sent my brain into **** mode so I couldn't think.
    This is exactly what i was thinking a while ago :/. I think i panicked far too much, and kept thinking theres soo much to more to get through, which is why i wasnt able to focus properly on any of them. I cant believe this has happened, after thinking i was prepared for this exam :sigh:.

ReputationRep:
    what is the initial concentration ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RodrigoB)
    ha I got confused right there

but then they gave us the products CUI and I2

so I just made up an equation from that LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

=FLOP
    lol same, i got happs then realised it was wrong, but i went and i worked back a little and got the moles of s2o3^2- so that should have got 1 or 2 marks lol...
    exam was a pisstake..

ReputationRep:
    I need 87 UMS marks, How many porper marks will this be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by middle92)
    You're a constant half life.
    So's your mum.

Haha sorry I didnt mean that comment to sound so smart assy, its just I think its probably the only one I did get right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terry_2006)
    what is the initial concentration ?
    Wasn't it 0.010 mol dm^-3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgie93)
    would it make a difference if in the born haber you put the two hydration enthalpies the other way round?
    also, what happened if you picked another buffer for the tangy question?
    Hydration enthalpies can go either way around, it doesn't matter, in real life they'd probably happen simultaneously anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RodrigoB)
    chem eng fella! I vouch you
    You feel my pain? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexx-ry)
    Probably the worst paper i've ever sat. I made most of it up :|
    i have the exact same opinion

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the pH question using the pKa values??
    I got 2.11
    ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richrr)
    I need 87 UMS marks, How many porper marks will this be?
    12. Seriously, anywhere from 48-55 probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    I got 2.11
    ?
    Yes, same here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    I got 2.11
    ?
    I got this too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemchemchem123)
    Well I'm sure seeing as everyone else found it so hard the grade boundaries wont be very high, but I went through the spec many a time, did every practice question I could get my hands on, read over and above the syllabus where the stretch and challenge points were marked in the book - and it went okay.
    I do agree that OCR are ridiculous and the papers have no way of preparing for, the text books are insufficient, and the topics that they cover in their papers aren't reflective of the whole syllabus!
    Don't forget this stuff is testing your abilities, not just stuff you read and repeat. If all a chemist did was stuff everyone knew how to do, there'd be no point doing it at all. There were some hard questions on this, yes, and they were a little ridiculous, and probably the difference between a grade or two - the difference between being able to repeat stuff we've all practiced in and out of class, and being able to use this stuff like a real chemist would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdebs)
    i thought it was typical of ocr to bring out a paper like this...they have been trying to move down the knowledge application route rather than just content learning for a while now...anyways the exam style suits some more than others.

did anyone use ethanoic acid in the buffer question btw and what was the ratio?
    yes because after staring at the page for about 10 minutes I just picked one at random haha I got 240 / 17 or something ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get kc = 20?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Yes, same here.
    Thank god!
    At least I know I have 4 marks

ReputationRep:
    ok people

jus wonderin

for last questionn i got somelike 33 or 32
    for br2 i put first order
    for ph i got 2.11
    216 i got somewhere for delta s
    - 110/108... i got for free energy

wat do u guys think?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.