Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy23)
    Err... Cant remember the exact values
    but the long line on the left was for lattice enthalpy
    and the little one on the left was enthalpy of solution

the top one on the right was enthalpy of hydration for Cl- (you had to multiply that one by 2 as there were 2Cl- ions)

aand the bottom one on the right was enthalpy of hydration for Mg2+ which you had to work out
    Ohhh okay! I think I did it right then ...or mostly right! thank you (:

ReputationRep:
    The time allocated was not long enough. Anyways i'm going to revision, got a little sidetracked.

ReputationRep:
    YOU HATED IT AND WANT THE GRADE BOUNDARY TO BE 40/100 FOR AN A? JOIN THIS FACEBOOK PAGE http://www.facebook.com/pages/Students-against-the-F325-GCE-Chemistry-June-2011-paper/105631386197256?sk=wall

ReputationRep:
    do people actually think grade boundaries will be 65 for an A? Or lower (pleeease) because I have genuinely lost 30 marks already. And I need an A*. FML.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoTheMedic)
    I performed bad and I accept that, the magic tang question was application of knowledge of buffers and the validity part was 1/2 marks of a 100 mark paper. The other 98 marks were reasonable (my opinion). The questions like the 4,4 bipy polymer was an A* question put in for the best students and I'm sure there must've been people who were able to do it.
    The validity marks... Wasnt it just yes its valid coz low pHs can cause a sour taste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkiee)
    YOU HATED IT AND WANT THE GRADE BOUNDARY TO BE 40/100 FOR AN A? JOIN THIS FACEBOOK PAGE http://www.facebook.com/pages/Students-against-the-F325-GCE-Chemistry-June-2011-paper/105631386197256?sk=wall
    If only son, if only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polzeath.sunset)
    do people actually think grade boundaries will be 65 for an A? Or lower (pleeease) because I have genuinely lost 30 marks already. And I need an A*. FML.
    They may well be lower, I thought this was harder than any mock I'd done, and it was 65/100 for an A on the hardest. There's not much you can do about it now. Just relax

ReputationRep:
    I would do anything to get the boundary to 40-30/100 for an A...

seems impossible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    Revision start: 9.15am June 15th
    Revision end: 12:30pm June 15th

Expected grade: A/A*

Smugness level: High
    Well done you shiny star!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoTheMedic)
    I performed bad and I accept that, the magic tang question was application of knowledge of buffers and the validity part was 1/2 marks of a 100 mark paper. The other 98 marks were reasonable (my opinion). The questions like the 4,4 bipy polymer was an A* question put in for the best students and I'm sure there must've been people who were able to do it.
    Off the top of my head:

+Magic tang.
    +The KOH decomposing at the terminals.
    +Determining change in enthalpy from.. well no values.
    +Polymer bidentate complex ions??

I'd need to see the paper again to bring up all the ones I thought 'WTF IS OCR DOING??' questions.

ReputationRep:
    Was going to watch the apprentice tonight. Unfortunately I have C4 revision and an OCR letter of complaint to cry into. I hope I don't ruin the HUGE BOLD FONT WITH MY TEARS. FMAlevels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polzeath.sunset)
    Its quite likely it will be around 60-70, the jan paper was 60-sumthing and this paper was the same kind of difficulty imo. At the end of the day its quite hard to tell because its about the relative marks, if the quote for A is 100 ppl the the top 100 marks will get it. First thing i do after an exam is find the smartest person i can and ask what they thought. My impressions were it was a relatively difficult exam, but not really more so than jan, then again i got 93/100 when i did the mock exam in school for jan and im predicting my mark for this around 83-86, so the grade boundary may be quite low, as in theory i should have gotten the same UMS in each

ReputationRep:
    Those people who think they have done well on this shocking paper (Hahahah u must be joking ! )
    If u actually have done well..let us know how
    Am really curious even if I'd known its gonna be this weird crappy paper I probably wouldnt have been able to prepare for it!! Did so many pastpapers but it was not any similar whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam.wa)
    Well done you shiny star!
    I detect slight levels of sarcasm, but thanks none the less.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    And I guess people are saying it was hard....but in reality theygot the majority right....i think people are just annoyed at the difficulty...but atleast they attempted the majority and know what they were doing even though it was an attempt.

It's been 5 hours after the exam and I have now realised that I ****ed up because I wasn't good enough, and I've accepted I'll do ****....I didn't deserve it....can't fix it...

that's life

ReputationRep:
    Yes there were a couple of odd sections to questions, but from the new spec past papers it was obvious time would be an issue and it would be pretty difficult. OCR chem are really into their stretch and challenge questions... shame they put a few too many in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottehunt)
    this makes me so worried for G484 and G485 and F324, 3/4 of my remaining exams are OCR science, exams they can't seem to get right!!! If Chemistry was this hard, Physics will be impossible
    i was thinking the same thing...g485's normal questions make me feel uneasy enough. But to be honest i dont think its possible to be as creative with a physics paper...its like the person who compiled this paper was looking for an award or somfn.

ReputationRep:
    You know the buffers question.
    Did you have to use one of the acid in the question?
    ... i rambled on about ethanoic acid

And what was the neutralisation ans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PedalBrain)
    Very true. I found all the typical hard questions hard as natural, but you are sitting an exam one level from studying degree level chemistry (no walk in the park). By curiosity, what is your opinion on the 3 hardest alevels?? ... obviously without doing each and everyone it is impossible to say but generally speaking ??
    Well I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths, I also did Physics AS. I would say the hardest for me is probably Biology because you have to know so much in so much detail and there are some difficult concepts to get your head around. I guess the hardest A-level is the one fewest people get As in (which probably makes it Russian or some other obscure one!). What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Off the top of my head:

+Magic tang.
    +The KOH decomposing at the terminals.
    +Determining change in enthalpy from.. well no values.
    +Polymer bidentate complex ions??

I'd need to see the paper again to bring up all the ones I thought 'WTF IS OCR DOING??' questions.
    Magic tang was 1 mark and it was just that acids are siur i think, koh i agree no clue, i managed to work out change in enthalpy with whatever they gave us (cant remember) so it cant have been impossible, and the polymer bidentate one was really just application of knowledge, you know it canform two coordinate bonds, you know the formula, you should be able to guess what its like, i think i screwed that one up coz of lack of time but i figured it out as i was leaving the exam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 10, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.