Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    Oh i assumed that ppl were refering to the last bit of it comment on the prediction that the magic tang is due to ph, the rest of the question was standard stuff about juggling around ka pka ph and h and ****. I guess my only big problem was time pressure, give me another ten minuted and i probably couldnt finished and gone back to figure out the polymer question

To the guy asking about rechargeing you just went backwards in the full equation, basically reversing the reaction which happens when the battery discharges
    Thanks, did they give you the full equation then? oh man... didnt see it if they did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    Oh i assumed that ppl were refering to the last bit of it comment on the prediction that the magic tang is due to ph, the rest of the question was standard stuff about juggling around ka pka ph and h and ****. I guess my only big problem was time pressure, give me another ten minuted and i probably couldnt finished and gone back to figure out the polymer question

To the guy asking about rechargeing you just went backwards in the full equation, basically reversing the reaction which happens when the battery discharges
    Hmm, im sure it said suggest equations so i just did the 2 half equations the opposite way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    magic tang was just the way they dressed up a buffer solution problem, nothing beyond our scope.
    the polymer and enthalpy questions were synoptic and application of knowledge, and 20% of the paper is supposed to be synoptic.
    the KOH is application of knowledge, and it was only a 'suggest' question, meaning there will more than likely be more than 1 accepted answer. stop whining, we all sat the same paper. complaining won't do anything - every year they scale the raw marks depending on how many people got whatever mark so the top 20% get an A, or whatever.
    Of course Im ****ing whining. My university place depends on this, I'll vent all I need to! They don't need to dress up questions to get the knowledge out of us, stop being a know it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andygunner93)
    It doesn't matter which acid you picked. I chose ethanoic as well

which neutralisation question?
    I meant hydration sorry.
    I got like -2200 and something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susan23)
    And I guess people are saying it was hard....but in reality theygot the majority right....i think people are just annoyed at the difficulty...but atleast they attempted the majority and know what they were doing even though it was an attempt.

It's been 5 hours after the exam and I have now realised that I ****ed up because I wasn't good enough, and I've accepted I'll do ****....I didn't deserve it....can't fix it...

that's life
    I so agree with the last part. I just simply wasn't good enough and I know I may have made a few silly mistakes e.g last one getting the molar ratio wrong - but the reality is : I wasn't good enough - now I'm not going to sit here and dwell on it because I know I will definitely not do this again because 1. I am not retaking the next year and I can assure myself nd 2. I will get a reasonably good grade as the GB's will be lowered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziigmund)
    Yea it's totally retarded the ammount of irrelevant stuff they expect you to read for like a 2 mark question that has very little to do with what they write down.

I thought as a whole it was reasonable time wise though, especially compared to unit 4 in january, but I did skip out some of the tedious 1/2 markers

My kc was 22.5 which is half of what you got...

Did you divide each no. of mol by 2 to get the concentration since it was in 2 dm^3 volume?
    Yep I divided by the volume. I made sure all my values were converted and took note of the orders with respect to moleclues... Oh wells. Just have to wait and see. Did you make sure the second reactant (4get what it was now) had double the amount of moles? I cant even remember if im talking about a past paper question or today. . wow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jontylol)
    Hmm, im sure it said suggest equations so i just did the 2 half equations the opposite way...

sorry to ask! but what half equations did you write out..

I put Ni2+ +2e- > Ni and Cd2+ +2e- > Cd? but really, i didnt have a clue!

ReputationRep:
    SOME1 PLEASE UPLOAD THE PAPER!

I would if I had it.

And to the douche who said "stop asking for the paper" cuz s/he thinks it's copyright content - OCR is a charity organisation and no 3rd party content such as pictures/diagrams was used in the paper (structural formulae don not count) therefore making it perfectly legal to upload it - no theft required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jontylol)
    thats what I did, I was on my phone so i typed it out in short. I actually underlined equations in the paper and said 'this really should be in bold'- after I finished with the magic tang question I almost wrote 'really OCR, hair perming seals hedgehogs and now magic tang..'

It annoyed me the Br2 question also because it wasnt clear if the half life was constant or not, so I took four different half lives and determined it varied up and down, a first order has a constant half life, a second order has an increasing half life and a zero order is a straight line, it definitely wasnt a straight line and half life definietely wasnt increasing so I chose first order, but I left a comment about how I had to assume the variations in half life were due to variations in the experimental data

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andygunner93)
    Well I study Biology, Chemistry and Maths, I also did Physics AS. I would say the hardest for me is probably Biology because you have to know so much in so much detail and there are some difficult concepts to get your head around. I guess the hardest A-level is the one fewest people get As in (which probably makes it Russian or some other obscure one!). What are your thoughts?
    I suppose that makes sense. On the other hand Russian to someone whose first language is Russian would be easy im guessing? lol ... All hard in their own right. personally .. I feel chemistry is probably the trickiest (not just going by today) .. Maths papers with edexcel exam board are generally same format each year. Physics I enjoy without doubt and i think you naturally have an aptitude for what you enjoy.. Boils down to the way a persons mind is inclined to work i suppose

ReputationRep:
    What do people think 75-80 raw marks will score as UMS, just a prediction please as obviously nobody knows exactly?

ReputationRep:
    I reaaaallllyyy want to see this paper!

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely the hardest paper I've completed. The past two papers were difficult but reasonable and had a mix of questions. And I also didn't finish them and subsequently burst into tears.....

Edit: Or should I say half-completed ?....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydyb123)
    I'm glad, that means my help was worthwhile which consoles me!

On the subject of the exam, I was stumped by the Buffers or infamous 'Magic Tang' question, I thought we were missing a piece of information. Got the last answer by complete fluke as 67.5%... messed up the Gibbs free energy, i found T delta S and then just proceeded not to find delta S from this and just substituted T delta S into the equation...

But other than that, I have no idea how i've done! Needed 86% for an A overall, doubt I got that.
    Pretty much the same - had no idea what to do for the magic tang question! I didn't really write anything down as I ran out of time!

I also got 67.5% but I only found 2/3 of the ionic equations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teva)
    sorry to ask! but what half equations did you write out..

I put Ni2+ +2e- > Ni and Cd2+ +2e- > Cd? but really, i didnt have a clue!
    The ones given in the question. I just used the the other way to what i used them in to get the overall equation of the cell.

ReputationRep:
    what a joke of an exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitch1234)
    i did this but split the molecule so one ring coming off as each ligand. basically the same thing but moved over to the right a bit if you know what i mean?
    Hmm. They did specify 'showing the whole ligand', but I guess you did do that...hope for a lenient marker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dim0nIX)
    SOME1 PLEASE UPLOAD THE PAPER!

I would if I had it.

And to the douche who said "stop asking for the paper" cuz s/he thinks it's copyright content - OCR is a charity organisation and no 3rd party content such as pictures/diagrams was used in the paper (structural formulae don not count) therefore making it perfectly legal to upload it - no theft required.
    Just because they are a charity doesnt mean that distributing their material that they havnt yet published is legal. Im not overly sure of the specifics but I know someone who marks the papers and he says that they arent supposed to be distributed early because OCR charges money for them.

And ofc theft is required, how else do you think the bio paper was obtained, the original poster said he took it when the invigilators werent looking...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtking3000)
    I disagree with your monomer, they wanted 4,4 bipy not 2,2 bipy

I second that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexllew)
    My goodness what is your problem with it being hard? It's the same for everyone! In fact the harder it is the better the paper distinguishes strong candidates from weak ones. It means that if you get an A or an A* you really are good and you can't get it by fluking to top marks in an easy exam.

Complaining to OCR is just silly... They're actually a good exam board IMHO. Sure there were a few dodgy bits but compared to like edexcel who are an absolute farce...
    may be people just found it hard? and seeing as only a few found it quite reasonable, we do have a reason to complain to OCR.

I think the balance of questions were wrong in accordance to the timing given and that is where OCR seem to fail with all their papers. either they give more time or they cut down on the number of 'hard' questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 10, 2012

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.